PDA

View Full Version : OK, Who Shot This Photo???

GyG1345
01-24-03, 03:10 PM
Rosenthal, Lowery, Genaust, Campbell???

http://victoryatseaonline.com/war/ww2/images/sands-photo4.jpg

GyG1345
01-24-03, 03:16 PM
The above photo together with an inquiry as to its origin had been posted to my Iwo Jima Forum a few months ago--turned out it was from the John Wayne flik, Sands of Iwo Jima, and this movie also included Ira hayes, Lt Scherer, Doc Bradley, Col Shoup, Col Crowe, etc.

Ref
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/message?forumid=141762&messageid=1038228961

vance
01-24-03, 06:06 PM
Rosenthal Gunny

GyG1345
01-24-03, 07:05 PM
uh-UH!

The question was not a question--just an attention-getter!

The answer was also posted just below the original post above at same time as original posting.

See above....

DickG

Osotogary
01-24-03, 07:24 PM
GyG1345,
Great photograph. Could you please refresh my memory? Were there not two flag raisings on Mt. Suribachi? Seems to me that there were but right now I am not sure. I think one of the Flags was smaller than the other. If you have the time ...could you please clarify? Thank you.
Gary

greensideout
01-24-03, 07:28 PM
Marines,

Who was the fifth marine raising the flag?

USMC-FO
01-24-03, 08:07 PM
Harlon Block--USMC-- at the base KIA
John Bradley--USN--behind Block
Franklin Sousley-USMC behind Bradley KIA
Ira Hayes--USMC--Everyone knows where Ira is in the pic
Mike Strank--USMC--Next to Bradley on the other side of pic KIA
Rene Gagnon==USMC--behind Strank

Now here is some triva...Name the state each is from ??

Barrio_rat
01-24-03, 08:46 PM
Texas...

Okay, I know it's not correct (Ira Hayes was from Arizona) but it's a good guess - when I was in, it seemed half the Marine Corps was from Texas.

How 'bout the Ballad of Ira Hayes, who sang it?

USMC-FO
01-24-03, 08:54 PM
...Rat Correct that Ira was from Arizona and you're also correct on Texas.

But who ??

Can you name the tribe Ira was from ??

greybeard
01-24-03, 09:00 PM
Pima
Johnny Cash recorded the song.

greensideout
01-24-03, 09:11 PM
Ira was a Puma.

USMC-FO
01-24-03, 09:15 PM
Greybeard...Right on Pima Indian and I'll take your word for it as to Johnny Cash as I did not know that.

Since you're from Texas you should also know who on the Memorial is from there.

I'm surprised more of you guys don't know this sort of arcane triva, I was expecting the answers to get shot right back at me.

greensideout
01-24-03, 09:24 PM
The movie about Ira Hayes was made when I was in bootcamp at San Deigo. Tony Curtis really impressed me when he went up the rope on the course hand over hand. Was kind of neat to see it being shot for the movie. Closest thing there that I can remember of the "real world".

greensideout
01-24-03, 09:43 PM
The time was in the fall of 1960.
The DI's, for the movie changed uniforms to WW ll.
They wore brown leather belts, not sure but I think they had green shrits, wool.
We were about half way through, so we were set on our buckets cleaning our M1 rifles.
The near graduates were in the production. Our uniforms were the same or near the same as WW ll.
Hows's that for triva?

marinemom
01-24-03, 10:49 PM
HARLON BLOCK Texas
JOHN BRADLEY Wusconsin
RENE GAGNON New Hampshire
IRA HAYES Arizona
FRANKLIN SOUSLEY Kentucky
MIKE STRANK Pennsylvania

One story is that when Franklin Sousley's mother was given the telegram infomring her of her son's death, her screams could be heard all night across the Kentuckey "holler" where they lived.

greybeard
01-24-03, 11:00 PM
Didn't see the question about which states the flag raisers were from---I'm old & half blind---I believe you are correct marinemom. Harlon Block was from Yorktown in South Texas. I've been to Yorktown Texas, years ago, & there was a large plaque near the center of town honoring Harlon Block at that time. Also been to the working model of the statue, that is in Brownsville at the Marine Academy. Block is buried beside the statue.
Only one body of those later killed at Iwo was not recovered, buried in a cave I think by bulldozers. Correct me if I'm wrong.

marinemom
01-25-03, 06:04 AM
Three flagraisers were killed on Iwo Jima - Mike Strank was killed by mortar fire; Harlon Block was also killed by mortar fire and it assumed that Franklin Sousely was killed by a Japanese sniper....

GyG1345
01-25-03, 07:20 AM
Since somebody (above) asked--there are several webpages on my Gunny G's...dealing with THE flag raising on Iwo Jima By lt Scrier, PltSgt Thomas, and Sgt Hansen--three flag raisers--the "replacement" flag, and the coverup of the actual flag raising for nearly three years, etc.

There, I also list the three books which I consider to be the best information available regarding the flag raising, apart from all other aspects of the iwo operation.

DickGHERE!!!!!!! (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=6)

GyG1345
01-25-03, 08:16 AM
The Ray Jacobs Story/First Flag Info, Iwo Forum, Pics, Letter From Lou Lowery, etc.

HERE!!!!!!! (http://www.angelfire.com/ca/dickg/IWO.html)

USMC-FO
01-25-03, 08:21 AM
Marinemom. Greybeard and the Gunny are correct. Obviously all this info is in "Flags of our Fathers" written by Bradley's son which I assume is on the Gunny's site and is a great book.

I travel frequently to Appleton WI for work and am trying to find Bradley's childhood home for no particular reason other than I would like to see it.

My son, at 9 years old, stood at the base of our Memorial last Nov 10th and pointed out to a British vacationer to the US who each of the men was. The Brit was quite stunned because he did not even know that the flag raising was an actual event. I could certainly forgive him that as there is much British history I do not know either. I gave him the quick 2 min presentation on the Memorial, second flag, KIA's, Felix De Weldon, etc. He seemed to appreciate all that and noted the number of Marines in the area--! quickly explained why--in any event he was pretty amazed by it all and I enjoyed the moment needless to say.