View Full Version : '07 freshman arrive at the U.S. Capitol

thedrifter
11-13-06, 08:35 PM
'07 freshman arrive at the U.S. Capitol
By Anne C. Mulkern
Denver Post Staff Writer
DenverPost.com
Article Last Updated:11/13/2006 05:53:44 PM MST

Washington - Ed Perlmutter stepped off the plane in the nation's capital and was welcomed by two U.S. Marines. He briefly wondered what he'd done wrong. Then he realized his life had really changed. And that was just minute one.

Before Monday ended, Rep.-elect Perlmutter enjoyed a goosebump-inducing lesson into what it means to join Congress, especially when one's political party has just recaptured the U.S. House after 12 years out of power.

"To be part of this is a very heavy sense of responsibility," he said. "It's something that I guess I've dreamed about my whole life."

Perlmutter, D-Golden, and Rep.-elect Doug Lamborn, R-Colorado Springs, joined 38 other Democrats and 11 other Republicans who arrived here Sunday as the part of Congress' 2007 freshman class. The totals could change as some races still are unresolved.

Those who came here toured the U.S. Capitol, sat through orientation, then headed to a White House reception with President Bush.

"The scale is bigger here in every way," Lamborn said, comparing the U.S. Capitol to the Colorado legislature. "The history here is amazing."

In the Library of Congress' Great Hall of white Italian marble, vaulted ceiling and stained glass skylights, Perlmutter enjoyed a candlelit dinner of prime rib. He sat with Rep. Diana DeGette, D-Denver, and Rep. John Dingell, D-Mich., soon to be chairman of the powerful Energy and Commerce Committee.

Democratic leaders told new members that they were a part of history. Though he felt somber, Perlmutter couldn't help smiling.

Democrats then took a walking tour of the Capitol. As they walked toward the House chamber they'll soon be occupying, the doors opened and they stepped inside. Perlmutter was speechless.

After an evening of celebration, Perlmutter and Lamborn woke up early Monday and boarded a bus for a scheduled 7:30 a.m. freshman class photo, only to learn it was canceled because of rain.

After breakfast, the freshmen dove into a day-long orientation program teaching them how to set up their office, hire good staff members and follow ethics rules.

Lamborn said there will be issues he can work on with Democrats, including water and funding for Fort Carson troops.

"I see that things go in cycles," he said. "I have no doubt Republicans will be in the majority some time in the near future."

Perlmutter wants to work on renewable energy and maybe grab a seat on the Energy and Commerce Committee, though he acknowledges it's a coveted panel.

While all freshman classes come into Congress talking about bipartisanship, said former Rep. Scott McInnis, the reality turns out to be different.

"It's a system that by its design is not intended to be a lovefest," McInnis said. "The theory of bipartisanship stops sort of at the door."

For now, Perlmutter and Lamborn must focus on finding a place to live in Washington.

Perlmutter's daughter, Alexis, 25, lives here and her father suggested he might move in. She had a different idea: "No, Dad. That's way too creepy."

Instead, he said, he'll settle for "a shower, a closet, a bed."

Ellie