PDA

View Full Version : Army Officer: "If you set your expectations low, then you'll always be surprised!"

Accord
11-12-06, 01:19 PM
I can't believe that an Army Officer actually said that on national TV. Way to represent the Army, ugh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U--bKheDHLE

jinelson
11-12-06, 01:30 PM
If you set your expectations low you are pleasantly surprised

hmmmmm sounds like the doggie strong strategy and to that I say: "As long as you do as you have always done - You will always get what you always got."

Accord
11-12-06, 01:39 PM
Did he forget that he was wearing his countries uniform and on national TV when he said it?

I bet if that was a Marine on there, he would have settled for nothing less than the full million :).

tntmondy
11-12-06, 03:34 PM
Just one of many reasons to be a Marine

hawks
11-12-06, 06:25 PM
I think he implied you can't go on to who wants to be a millionaire and expect to win the million dollars outright. You have to set a reachable goal and go from there.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-12-06, 10:38 PM
If you can't set the top as your goal, you don't have any business getting into the arena.

Obelisk
11-12-06, 11:21 PM
Of course the full million should be your goal, but there is something strategically valid in setting a point at which it is okay to stop. If you've seen the show alot of people get up to the 250k point and then miss a question and drop all the way down to 32000 dollars (or was it 64000?). If they would have just mentally prepared themselves to quit at a certain point if they weren't sure about a question then they could have easily quadrupled or multiplied their winnings 10-fold. Otherwise when you reach some of the highest levels you are running on the "gambler's instinct" which tells you that any chance at more money is worth taking.

Accord
11-12-06, 11:36 PM
Of course the full million should be your goal, but there is something strategically valid in setting a point at which it is okay to stop. If you've seen the show alot of people get up to the 250k point and then miss a question and drop all the way down to 32000 dollars (or was it 64000?). If they would have just mentally prepared themselves to quit at a certain point if they weren't sure about a question then they could have easily quadrupled or multiplied their winnings 10-fold. Otherwise when you reach some of the highest levels you are running on the "gambler's instinct" which tells you that any chance at more money is worth taking.
His "gamblers limit" was the petty $1k which everyone gets to.

Obelisk
11-12-06, 11:43 PM
Ugh, then I've changed my opinion. That guy was just plain DUMB. Any brain-dead fool can reach the 1k mark. Seriously, at that point they are still asking you about nursery rhymes.