PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Peleliu and Okinawa USMC Vets

bhall1821
11-11-06, 06:46 PM
I am searching for any veterans of the Peleliu and Okinawa campaigns during World War II. My uncle, Pfc. John B. Papineau of Detroit, MI served with the 1st Marine Division during this time. He paid the ultimate price on 15 May 1945 on Okinawa. On Peleliu he was with the Special Weapons Battlion as a BAR man and with E/2/5 on Okinawa. I am trying to locate any surviving Marines, Merchant Marine or Naval personnel that may have served with him.

I will check posts on this site and I can also be e-mailed at
bhall1821@hotmail.com. Thank-you and may God bless the USMC.

greensideout
11-11-06, 07:26 PM
There is a member of this site that was at Peleliu with the 1st Marine Division. His name is Holbart Cobb.

greensideout
11-11-06, 07:54 PM
His profile is listed as "MrCobb". You can contact him with an e-mail or pm from the profile page.

jinelson
11-11-06, 11:58 PM
Mr Cobb also served in the Okinawa campaign after Peleliu. His name is actually Hobert Cobb. Good luck to you in your search.

Jim

mdv3776
11-13-06, 05:37 PM
My Older Brother fought Peleliu & Okinawa, He was seriously wounded on Okinawa, I cannot give you his email address without his OK, but if you wish you can email me & I will forward you letter to him & if he wishes to reply , he will:iwo:

bhall1821
11-13-06, 10:45 PM
My uncle, Pfc. John B. Papineau served first on Peleliu with the Special Weapons Battlion as a BAR man and then on Okinawa with E/2/5. He was killed in action on 15 May 1945. He may have went by the nickname "Pappy."
I have been trying for the past five years to retrace his steps and connect with anyone who may have served with him. After his death my family never spoke of him again. His death was so tramatic to my family that WWII became a taboo topic.

Even if your brother didn't serve with him, I would like to ask questions about both battles. I am currently studying for my master's in military history and I am thinking of writing my thesis about Peleliu. Please feel free to forward my e-mail address bhall1821@hotmail.com.

Sincerely,

mdv3776
11-14-06, 01:49 PM
Hello Beth
I have forwarded your letter to my brother Clyde, he seldom wants to talk about his experience, especially on Okinawa, he never told me anything about it until 1982 when we visited Diamond Head On Oahu Hawaii together, there on the Battle field maps he finally told me a little about what had happened to him there, anyway I hope he does respond to you, if he does, please let me know.
Marvin

marvinike@cox.net
:flag:

skilletmarie
01-07-07, 05:40 PM
My grandfather served on Peleliu. I have lots of photos from there as his best friend, Benny Joe, was a photographer who was killed on the island. My grandfather passed on December 18, 2001. He used to share some things, but was very reserved on what he did share. I am looking for more information about my grandfather and Benny Joe (don't know his last name). My uncle was named after Benny Joe and I am trying to find anyone that may have served with my grandfather to find out more information. Let me know if you can help. All I know is that he was in the 585th (boot camp) in San Diego, was in the Pacific, Peleliu. I'm interested because my grandmother let me have all his pictures from the war and there is nothing on the back of them with the exception of 5 photos of Bloody Nose Ridge and the Valley of Death. I also have lots of photos of others who served, but don't have names.

Mr Cobbs Bratt
06-22-07, 08:57 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">My dad was Hobart Cobb, he just had his "home-going" on 6/3/07. He served on Peleliu and Okinawa. He wrote an article of sorts about that battle. If you will let me know, I can get a copy to you. I would be interested in knowing more about what you know.</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

bhall1821
06-23-07, 10:54 AM
Greetings everyone!

Sorry for the delay in replying to the posts. Chasing little ones, working and attending school have kept me busy.

I have some good news! I have made contact with retired USMC Col. Otto Melsa that served with the 1st Marine Division on Peleliu and Okinawa. Col. Melsa didn't know my uncle personally but he is willing to share his experience so I may learn what the Marines went through securing those islands. He is sending me some information that maybe helpful to everyone searching for information.

Ms. Porter, if you are willing to share copies of some of the photos we might be able to work together to piece your family's history together. I have a cd full of photos from Peleliu that I received from a gentleman in Iowa several years ago. Just let me know if you would like a copy. Do you have a copy of his boot camp photo? I am searching for my uncle's boot camp photo but his service record does not detail his platoon number. My uncle went to boot in San Diego sometime between Nov 24 1942 and Jan 16 1943. So that search continues.

Yes! Mr. Cobb's Bratt, I would also like to read your father's article about his service on Peleliu, too. I am sorry to hear of his passing several weeks ago. But I am sure the Lord needs a good Marine to help watch over Heaven.

I have also made contact with a historic perservation group that is spearheading the creation of national park on Peleliu to perserve the memory of all who paid the ultimate price for our freedom. I plan to volunteer my time, GIS skills and research to help them achieve this goal. The park would also help promote tourism and this will help the 400 remaining locals deal with all the unexploded shells that still litter the island.

10thzodiac
06-25-07, 12:51 PM
I have a Marine second cousin that served in Peleliu, he lives in Centralia, Illinois. I don't know if he would of known your dad or not (possible) because he was in Marine Searchlights. He just called recently and told me that another Peleliu veteran he served with that lives in Michigan contacted him for the first time since they left the service.

At least maybe these guys might know of others that could of possibly known your dad.

My cousin is probably one of the nicest down to earth country boys you could ever meet.

PM me if you want his name and address.

JAN71866
07-11-07, 09:42 AM
You should read E.B. Sledge's book, With the Old Breed on Peleliu and Okinawa, if you have not already done so. A very good book about a marines experience in both battles. Extremely graphic, riveting, and a definite must read for anyone who had relatives in any of those two battles.

USMC-FO
07-11-07, 12:17 PM
For sure read "The Old Breed" and excellent book. I also just forwarded your request onto a friend of mine who was wounded on Okinawa. He was a tanker but can certainly offer insights.