PDA

View Full Version : Marines Held for Questioning Return Home

thedrifter
11-11-06, 04:42 PM
Marines Held for Questioning Return Home
By Victor Blackwell
First Coast News

JACKSONVILLE, FL -- Karigan Merritt waited 11 months to see her father. The last few minutes waiting with her mom, Amber, at Jacksonville International Airport are not easy.

"We've been through it once before and it's a big moment. We're excited. We're fighting over who's gonna get the sugar first, aren't we?" said Amber Merritt.

Rachel Jowers is waiting for her brother, Lance Corporal Michael Jowers. She expected him home with the rest of Bravo Company last week.

"I was real disappointed and let down - but it's not his fault," said Jowers.

Seventeen Marines from Company B 4th Assault Amphibian Battalion were held for questioning At Camp Lejune in North Carolina for five additional days.

"Everybody that came in today - they were just witnesses. They didn't do anything wrong," Said Corporal Mike Bullard. "They were just there for the situation," he added.

Senior defense sources tell First Coast News there was an incident at the Haditha Dam in Iraq's Anbar province. The sources will not say what happened.

Leaders at Camp Lejune say there was no reason to hold the men any longer. Any additional information needed for the investigation can be provided from home.

At JIA, Rachel Jower’s brother came home safely.

Karigan's daddy, Sgt. Merritt held hugged his family for the first time in nearly a year. He is putting the investigation aside, for now.

"I'm just glad to be home with my little girl and my wife. That's all I care about," said Sgt. Merritt.

Ellie