PDA

View Full Version : Stress fractures? Possible DQ or postpone ship date?

Achped
11-10-06, 10:32 AM
Well I seem to have gotten a stress fracture on one of the bones on the top of my foot. It's absolutely the most excruciating pain I've ever had. But I am so busy I keep walking on it and it's only making it worse. Its been a week and nothing's healed so into the doctor I go...maybe.

I talked to my recruiter and she said to stop being an idiot and that since I ship in June the earlier I fix these things the better. I've just heard so many stories of people getting stress fractures in their foot and it bothering them the rest of their lives. I don't want to be like that.

So, obviously I'm goign the doctor but could this have them change their mind and not let me in? I'm already DEP'd in...

Oh, and I'll be going to a military hospital, so...well there's no "hiding it" (Not like I would, just saying)

poolie13
11-10-06, 10:41 AM
Hey Bro I wouldn't worry about it. My buddy who is also in DEP had a stress fracture in his foot but he's all ok. My recruiter told him to lay off of it for a while, he missed an IST but now he is able to run again and do what needs to be done. Like I said I wouldn't worry about, just lay off of it for awhile.

bigfoot1188
11-10-06, 11:43 AM
hey man I know how you feel i have a stress facture on both shins....now whats going to happen is the doc will tell you that you need abone scan and probably to stay off of it for awhile......if you dont know what a stress fractue is well its basically your bone is week from too much activity...well since i have the same problem i say you should try to do as little as you can. obviously you have to walk but dont run for aleast 3 weeks and im taking calcuim pills to strengthen my bones so idk that might help you.

killerinstinct
11-10-06, 12:03 PM
IO recommend you waiting for it to heal. start stretching both before and after you PT. you might not have any pain but once you go AD the Marine Corps doesn't transfer you from one unit to the next. Basically you could end up on med hold till you heal.. which would not be fun. Especially if you are in bootcamp as you will be a recruit longer than you expected. Try and see a therapist and stuff but dont force it.

christine_06
11-10-06, 01:56 PM
Make sure to take care of yourself and give yourself time to heal, it's important to take care of it now before it gets any worse. Make sure to strech before and after doing any PT and take it easy on the running, i would suggest not to run for at least 2 weeks. Also ice it about 3 or 4 times a day.

cplbrooks
11-12-06, 11:33 AM
do what your recruiter tells you to do.