PDA

View Full Version : Fraudelent Enlistment

ublar
11-10-06, 12:01 AM
Throughout my teen years up to about two months before I enlisted in the USMC DEP I've been treated for a number of psych disorders (ranging from ADHD to Bipolar) and been put on numerous...

Marine84
11-10-06, 07:29 AM
Be straight up about EVERYTHING - if you don't, it will follow you through your entire time in the Corps - you'll always be worried about something coming out ESPECIALLY if (God forbid) something should happen to you medically that brings it out. If it's nothing for you to worry about then, at least it's out and you really won't have to worry.

DaveXIII90
11-10-06, 09:24 AM
I have ADHD, and some other disorders that are not important to discuss in this post. Listen to Marine84- JUST TELL THEM! I doubt that MEPS and the men and women in the Armed Forces are going to fully review everyones medical records. Does that meen that they wont find out? Well, lets look at it this way- If they dont ever find out, good for you...have a great time being dissapointed in your dishonest and immature approach to the greatest job in the world. On the other hand, when you realize that you will be in this occupation for a 4 year period, you might quickly begin to see how easy it is to slip, screw up, or do anything to reveal your disorder within those 1,460 days. Not only will you be stressed, feel insecure, and constantly be nervous/anxious (Or even paranoid), but if you DO infact mess up and get caught, your mind will be much deeper into that mental pile of ****. Not to mention what the government will throw at you. Just do your best, dont get into any trouble with the law, show you are determined, and be HONEST!

jinelson
11-10-06, 09:50 AM
Honor - Courage - Commitment!

Think about it!

ublar
11-10-06, 01:44 PM
I've brought my concerns up with recruitors on multiples occasions, and they are telling me to keep quiet. I WANT to do the HONEST and HONORABLE thing. If I come clean, I would be disqualified and be...

PooleeWill
11-10-06, 02:20 PM
I am gonna be honest here I kept quiet down at MEPS about previous history of ADHD. I have not been on any medication in almost 3 years so that is why I never said a word. I made it through MEPS without a hitch at all as a matter of fact the docs never really questioned me like my recruiter said they would. As a matter of fact the only thing that happened to me after I stopped taking my meds was the fact I gained like 60 pounds but thats it.

CHOPPER7199
11-10-06, 04:37 PM
Like The Ssgt Says Above, Honor, Courage, Commitment. Be True To The Corps. P.S. Be Honest With Yourself, It Will Remain With You The Rest Of Your Life.

Marine84
11-10-06, 05:11 PM
PooleeWill - I cannot believe what I just read AND you're going to give another poolee the same bad advice.

What does Honor, Courage & Commitment mean to either one of you? And don't give me the dictionary version - I already know those - what do they mean to YOU?

Kildars
11-10-06, 05:16 PM
Never lie, your recruiters are wrong if they're telling you to cover it up. It will haunt you and you will be paranoid and if it comes out later you will be SOL. If you are guaranteed to be DQ'd I'd go get letters from docs saying you're okay and then request a waiver.

Good luck.

PooleeWill
11-10-06, 06:28 PM
I never gave him any bad advice and nor did I encourage him to do what I did. Things just happen the way they are and I am sorry for what I posted, I only do what my recruiter tells me to do and that is it. I have always wanted to be in the millitary service since I was in highschool. And when I talked to my recruiter he knew what medications I had been on in the past so its not like no one was in the shadow about it. But I better stop here before I get flamed for what I am saying.

tkmac58
11-10-06, 06:43 PM
You need to fess up before you go back to MEPs to ship, get the medical docs and have them reviewed. Explain to your doctor what you did, get an updated evaluation forward to meps. A few things will...

WanderWannabe
11-10-06, 07:51 PM
Where does this intersect with knowing the recruiter told you to do something, and not wanting to try to get him in trouble? I gurantee you recruiters do exactly this, and I worry that too many kids are being thrown out when all that was needed was a waiver.

Kildars
11-10-06, 07:57 PM
Where does this intersect with knowing the recruiter told you to do something, and not wanting to try to get him in trouble? I gurantee you recruiters do exactly this, and I worry that too many kids are being thrown out when all that was needed was a waiver.

You do not have to bring up that the recruiter told you to lie, it is your responsibility what you tell and what you don't tell. It is not your recruiters fault. He should take responsibility that he lied and deal with it. I know that the only things I covered up when I went through MEPS was that I had braces because I didn't want to have to go get my stupid dentist docs, everything else was open information.

Good luck.

WanderWannabe
11-10-06, 08:08 PM
Well, I told the recruiters everything, and they told me that they called MEPS and talked to the liason directly. They said everything was clear, and they told me what to tell MEPS. I think I am in the clear, simply because I was up front, but I have the nagging feeling that there is something fishy going on.

Probably just pre-ship jitters.

ublar
11-10-06, 09:11 PM
Probably just pre-ship jitters.

That's what I want to know...If i'm just blowing things out of proportion

Also, I did get two letters from more two most recent doctors, saying that I am okay for service.
I was planning on coming clean at my second (actually third) MEPS processing date, just before I ship.

DaveXIII90
11-11-06, 11:06 PM
Just make sure you come clean as soon as you can, because if you come clean at the last second, you WILL look like an a$$hat, and you WILL not be seen as mature- thats not a good way to start out your career in the USMC.

Marine84
11-12-06, 10:42 AM
I gurantee you recruiters do exactly this, and I worry that too many kids are being thrown out when all that was needed was a waiver.

Not ALL recruiters do this but, yes you're correct, SOME do. Doesn't matter WHAT your recruiter is or isn't doing - IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY! When you go to MEPS, make sure YOU say something about. THIS way, IF the only thing you need is a waiver, it can be handled right then and you will never have to worry about it again.

cplbrooks
11-12-06, 10:46 AM
ADHD is not a disqualifier. You need to be off of the ADHD meds for at least 1 year prior to enlisting. You must also be off of anti-depressant meds for at least a year also. You will also need a waiver for the anti-depressants and a good reason for being on them such as some specific incident happened such as a close friend or relative dying etc. Bipolar is a disqualifier. If you were on the psych meds for being bi-polar then you will need a letter from another psychiatrist stating that it was a misdiagnosis.

Tell your recruiter everything so that he can help you. He knows what he is doing and needs to know everything so that he can get all of the docs for MEPS. Remember, it is MEPS job to DQ you so let the recruiter know first. You have to trust him. He knows what he is doing. Do not do anything that the recruiter tells you not to do.

What other problems do you have? I can answer most of your questions on here and tell you if it is a disqualifier or just a waiver etc.

cplbrooks
11-12-06, 10:58 AM
I need to clarify my last post. If you have undisclosed information then dont go to MEPS. You must tell your recruiter first so that he can get any medical docs etc that he may need to send with...

WanderWannabe
11-12-06, 11:04 AM
Well, that's the whole problem.

I had ADD about 13 years ago, which was when I was on Ritalin. I told my recruiter this multiple times. He first said I needed a waiver, then said he'd call MEPS to check. He came back and said it was no big deal, because it was so long ago. I asked many times before going to MEPS, if I needed a waiver, just to be sure. I want in the right way, you know?

The recruiter told me it was clear, and told me to mark "No" on the paperwork, and to keep to that on my MEPS paperwork and interviews, and everything would be fine. I am doing exactly what the recruiter told me to do, and as it was so long ago, I'm sure he knows what he was doing.

SgtHMH
11-12-06, 12:03 PM
Poolee;

If you are worried about this and have questions, ask to talk with your recruiter and his CO in the same room. If there is something wrong or not right, then it should be taken care of before you go to Boot. All you need to worry about is that, not this on the back of your mind. If they both are sitting in a room with you and telling you it is okay or what to do, then do it. They will not tell you to do something wrong, because you can have the right for a hearing about it if it does come up. They will be brought into it and asked about it. They would also be in more trouble than you would be, about this issue. They are a NCO and a Officer in the Corp, that will face more for telling you wrong or to do wrong. Do you see what I'm saying ?

Sgt. Hoss

WanderWannabe
11-12-06, 12:08 PM
Poolee;

If you are worried about this and have questions, ask to talk with your recruiter and his CO in the same room. If there is something wrong or not right, then it should be taken care of before you go to Boot. All you need to worry about is that, not this on the back of your mind. If they both are sitting in a room with you and telling you it is okay or what to do, then do it. They will not tell you to do something wrong, because you can have the right for a hearing about it if it does come up. They will be brought into it and asked about it. They would also be in more trouble than you would be, about this issue. They are a NCO and a Officer in the Corp, that will face more for telling you wrong or to do wrong. Do you see what I'm saying ?

Sgt. Hoss

The CO is the one who called MEPS. This was my exact first thought, so I made sure. It sounds like everything is kosher. Thank you for the info, it helps clear my mind.

ublar
11-12-06, 12:42 PM
Monday I'm going to talk to the NCOIC, to see what he says. If he say's I'm okay, I won't worry about it anymore.

SgtHMH
11-12-06, 12:57 PM
Poolee;

There is a thing in the Corp were if a Marine has a problem or something happens. The Marine or any Marine can and have the right to request Mast all the way to the Commadant. So you will get the right story and not some lame stupid thing to do. Once you start Boot Camp, you are a Marine Private and have all rights. Just remember if something is asked or brought up about anything. First and for most your a U.S. Marine and stand tall, look them in the eye and tell them what they want to know. Most chances are they already know it already, but want to hear it from you.

Semper Fi

Sgt Hoss

Accord
11-12-06, 01:07 PM
Mental stuff like being bi-polar is SERIOUS SH/T and after living with someone my whole life who was bi-polar I can easily see why they would disqualify someone for it. For your own sake I really hope it was a misdiagnosis and if I were you I would do everything in my power to find another psyche doctor to say it was a misdiagnosis.

WWCD - What Would Chesty Do?

The fact of the matter is if Chesty Puller tried to enlist in today's Marine Corps he would be immediately disqualified because he has asthma. So, what would Chesty do? Would he tell the truth full well knowing he would be DQ'ed and not be able to join the Corps, or would he hide the truth and go onto an illustrious career?

Soon2BeVIP
11-12-06, 10:16 PM
The fact of the matter is if Chesty Puller tried to enlist in today's Marine Corps he would be immediately disqualified because he has asthma. So, what would Chesty do? Would he tell the truth full well knowing he would be DQ'ed and not be able to join the Corps, or would he hide the truth and go onto an illustrious career?
So well stated. I know we can't just flat out say it because we have to look good, but would you rather be a US Marine that told one white lie, and you honestly won't even think about that at all with all you'll be accomplishing or just not be a Marine at all. I know we can't saying lying is okay, but if it's literally one...just one...and it means you can or can't join, I don't see the issue. I bet nearly everyone has lied about some little thing when enlisting.. whether it was medical history, drug use, suicide thoughts, or anything. It's almost impossible not to lie, I didn't have to, but that's because I've been awkwardly blessed medically-wise my whole life. Also, recruiters are made to sound a whole lot worse than they are. They are Marines and amazing people. There not desperate people trying to get just anyone they can in, but they can relate to people and help them do what they need too. They aren't going to make you tell crazy lies that can get you in huge trouble because they know if you go down, they can get in trouble too. I don't know I think it all goes back to the quote accord said. Amazingly stated. I know many Marines won't agree with this, especially Marine84 (who I think is one of the most intelligent people on here), but in all honestness it's what I'd do. I'd rather tell one lie and be a Marine, than be a civilian that goes through life just seeing Marines talking on TV or the stickers on the backs of cars. I want one of those stickers on my cars and people wishing they were in my shoes.