PDA

View Full Version : Muslim Elected To Congress

jinelson
11-09-06, 07:34 PM
Minnesota Lawmaker First Muslim In Congress

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

By JOSHUA FREED, Associated Press Writer

MINNEAPOLIS — Keith Ellison never ran on his religion or away from it. Ellison, a state lawmaker and lawyer, has become the first Muslim elected to Congress, and the first nonwhite elected to Congress from Minnesota.

On the campaign trail, Ellison, 43, talked little about his religious background, focusing instead on his call for an immediate U.S. withdrawal from Iraq and his support for single-payer health care. He broke from more conservative Muslims by favoring gay rights and abortion rights.

Ellison said his campaign united labor, minority communities and peace activists."We were able to bring in Muslims, Christians, Jews, Buddhists,"he said."We brought in everybody."

Hayat Hassan, 30, a single mother and a Muslim, said she voted for Ellison because of his positions on health care and education.

"I didn't even know he was a Muslim until one of his campaign workers told me,"she said.

The seat was thrown open when longtime Rep. Martin Sabo said he would retire after 28 years. On Tuesday, Ellison beat Republican Alan Fine and the Independence Party's Tammy Lee.

Mahdi Bray, executive director of the Muslim American Society, compared Ellison's victory to Edward Brooke's election in 1966 as the first black senator since Reconstruction.

Ellison's campaign had to deal with reports of overdue parking tickets, late campaign finance reports and unpaid taxes. He also faced questions about anti-Semitism because of past ties with the Nation of Islam, a black Muslim group led by the confrontational Louis Farrakhan.

Ellison, a criminal defense attorney who converted to Islam as a college student, denounced Farrakhan and won the endorsement of a Minneapolis Jewish newspaper.

FOXNews.com - Minn. Lawmaker 1st Muslim in Congress - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

I dont know how I missed this until now, it certainly is not something that Im in favor of. Oh good past ties with the Nation of Islam, a black Muslim group led by the confrontational Louis Farrakhan. God save the Republic!

Jim. [/B]

jinelson
11-09-06, 07:48 PM
Got to love the democrats they are fine liberal souls.

yellowwing
11-09-06, 08:30 PM
Keith Ellison (D) 136,061 55.6%
Alan Fine (R) 52,263 21.4%

Yup, that's a thumping. Only my beloved Ann Coulter could say that 136,061 people in the 5th District hates America. :banana:

kato811
11-12-06, 06:12 PM
question? how many of you actually know anything about the guy other than whats in the article?

greensideout
11-12-06, 06:44 PM
question? how many of you actually know anything about the guy other than whats in the article?

Not me, so let's hear what you have to say.

10thzodiac
11-12-06, 09:22 PM
Gees ! Has anyone ever thought if we had more Muslims in congress they would be allies too.

Our congress has 11 Jews in the Senate and 23 in the House of Representatives and Israel is our allie, right ?

yellowwing
11-12-06, 09:34 PM
Gees ! Has anyone ever thought if we had more Muslims in congress they would be allies too.

Our congress has 11 Jews in the Senate and 23 in the House of Representatives and Israel is our allie, right ?
Nope, sorry. Ideology has replaced strategic forward thinking.

10thzodiac
11-12-06, 09:58 PM
Nope, sorry. Ideology has replaced strategic forward thinking.

Hmmm http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/33.gif I forgot about the guys with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.