PDA

View Full Version : MOS Question

tferg78
07-09-02, 06:34 PM
I have a month left before I go to San Diego. I reserved Yankee White(whiskey) MOS and I was wondering what this is and what training goes with it. I know it puts me in DC at 8th & I barracks but thats about it. Any assistance is appreciated

Sixguns
07-09-02, 07:09 PM
Remember this program will require you to receive all the necessary infantry training for MOS 0311. In fact, this may likely be your MOS. Remember, Marine Barracks 8&I is a duty station, not a job specialty. After a tour at MB (usually two years), you will be returned to an infantry unit in the operational forces of the Marine Corps to work in that MOS. I will review the Programs Manual tomorrow to get you some additional information. Congratulations on your decision to become a Marine and good luck at Recruit Training.

Sixguns

Barndog
07-10-02, 05:31 AM
Indeed Pvt. Remember another thing - just because you 'signed up' for 8th & I DOESN'T mean yer gonna get an automatic to go there. There are a few qualifying matters.

A. You had better be one squared away s*@t hot Marine.
B. You had better be perfect at drill - both on the grinder and rifle drill.
C. You had better plan on doing FIRST CLASS PFT's all the way through your enlistment - or else.
D. IF you have any little dirty marks on your civilian record to this point - they may keep you from becoming an 8th & I Marine.

8th & I is reserved for the best of the best young Marines. I'm not telling you this to dash your hopes, but at the same time, until you hit those yellow footprints at MCRD, and complete Boot Camp, THEN cut the mustard well enough to be awarded MY Eagle Globe and Anchor....

The road isn't pretty and it isn't lined with roses.

Semper FI

Barndog

Sixguns
07-10-02, 09:53 AM
The UW or YW program is a Security Forces job guarantee.

This means you will be trained as an 03XX. You will complete recruit training, School of Infantry and Security Force training and then be assigned an 03XX MOS to provide security for Navy/MC interests. You will need to be able to obtain a Top Secret security clearance and meet all of the other moral criteria for the assignment.

The job guarantee does not guarantee you Marine Barracks 8&I! You may get that assignment or presidential security if vacancies exist. So, you are not guarantted anything beyond serving in a security force position. Assignment to security forces is generally a two-year assignment and will be your first assignment following training.

If you should have any further questions, please feel free to post or contact me.

Sixguns

tferg78
07-10-02, 01:09 PM
lets see, I have only minor moving violations, so my civilian record is squared away, I have an extensive knowledge of the military, especially Marines. and I'm averaging a 240 PFT score......

wrbones
07-10-02, 01:12 PM
Just letting ya know it's a real challenge, even after boot! Hang tough, and go for it. Always follow your dream, no matter what!

JAMarine
07-10-02, 02:10 PM
GO for it my friend. Become #1 of the BEST. GOOD LUCK

mpwildes
07-11-02, 06:02 AM
Hey six

what are all the jobs that fall under yankee white? The only one I knew anything about was HMX. And also the clearance doesn't get started until after boot right? I don't know off hand.

Sixguns
07-13-02, 09:32 AM
Security clearances begin the moment you enlist. A basic security clearance, or background investigation, is done using the EPSQ at the time of enlistment. When, and if, a top secret security clearance is needed, it will be re-run both manually and electronically for verification once the clearance is requested by the Marine Corps. So, with a job guarantee such as this, the investigation may be done at the same time as recruit training is being completed by the individual.

UW/YW are enlistment options guarantees. There is no such thing as an enlistment guarantee for HMX or Presidential Security. This job guarantee simply gives the future Marine security forces training and the OPPORTUNITY to get to one of those assignements if they meet all the other criteria.

mpwildes
07-16-02, 07:48 PM
I see said the blind man, Something I never knew thats why I asked. knowledge is power right. what you don't know ask and you can learn.

Marine2B
07-20-02, 08:58 PM
My best friend who enlisted just about a year ago is at "8th and I" and on his way to Camp David in a few months but not after a lot of hard work with a little blood sweat and tears. He finished at the top of his class in boot camp and SOI and was selected along with one other Marine to get the job. He had to undergo numerous psycological tests and lie detector tests and drug tests. They put you through the works due to the prestige of the job. I even had to talk to the FBI about us growing up together. They check out EVERYTHING that you have ever done and better be all squared away. I don't want to discourage you but I know that sometimes there are recruiters out there that try to fill your head with false notions.

Semper Fi

Sixguns
07-21-02, 09:13 AM
Not everyone will successfully pass the screening and background investigation in order to get to HMX or Presidential Security. Because the screening is so tough, no one can guarantee your ability to get to one of these assignments. There are still plenty of assignments in security forces that will be worthwhile. It's just these two are at the top of the list. Not making it to HMX or the White House is not the end of the world. You will still have a lot to be proud of; being a Marine, a security force Marine and someone who was at least considered for that prestigious assignment.

tferg78
07-21-02, 07:05 PM
So if for some reason I don't pass the security clearence do I get a job in MCSF or do I get put into the fleet?

13 DAYS TILL BOOT WOOHOOO!!!!!

Sixguns
07-21-02, 07:55 PM
You are guaranteed that your first assignment will be in MCSF. Ask Shaffer about it. He was a securtiy force Marine. Best of luck in training. Stay focused and remember you are going to MCRD for a reason -- to become a Marine. Don't ever quit or give up. You can become one of us!!

tferg78
07-30-02, 12:16 AM
What am I issued after boot camp? Especially in regards to Serive, Dress and Battle dress uniforms? Are we issued the new BDU's? Anything else I should know about boot camp? I really want to be Company Honorman, I have a great knowledge and hope it helps me get there. Any assistance is greatly appreciated...
Also, I had an Uncle Thomas Bernard Ferguson, O-1, 2nd Lt. 4th Marine division, KIA Quang Tri, Vietnam Jan '68, is there a place where I can find what operation and company he was in?

USMC0311
07-30-02, 12:40 AM
http://www.tbass.com/marines/
let me know if this works for ya. Good luck!

Sixguns
07-30-02, 07:49 AM
Army!!! We do not call our utility uniform BDUs or Battle Dress Uniforms. The abbreviated name for the utility uniform is "Cammies."

Your recruiter can answer your questions, but here you go.

Four sets of Cammies
Two pair Combat Boots
One set of Service Dress (1 jacket, two trousers)
One pair Dress Blues trousers
One pair Dress shoes
Two Cammie covers
One Barracks frame (1 green cover, one white)
One service cover
Belts
Socks
T-shirts
Etc.

There is a good chance you will be issued the new Cammies.
Remember, uniforms are yours to maintain and upkeep. You will also get an annual clothing replacement allowance to purchase items that become unserviceable or damaged.

Sparrowhawk
07-30-02, 08:48 AM
That's what they are issued today?

Why when I went in all we got was a yellow sweatshirt, a jock-strap, and combat boots. LOL

Sixguns
07-31-02, 07:54 AM
Sparrowhawk, is that what you wear out to socialize??