PDA

View Full Version : From a New Marine

AmyG
11-08-06, 10:51 PM
To all you poolees and wannabes:

I know y'all are eager to get to Recruit Training and become a United States Marine, and I'm sure some of you are a bit nervous of what's ahead. I just want to say you don't have to be. I was told many times before I shipped that Boot was 90% mental and 10% physical. Guess what? They were right! Imagine that. Those Marines knew what they were talking about. Unbelievable. I say that because you may be thinking you won't make it because it's going to be so hard physically. Well, the physical part is the easy part. Your body can go on much longer than you think it can. You're gonna be on the quarterdeck, sweat pouring off your face and pooling around your hands as you mountain climb, and your mind is going to tell you that you can't, that you have to quit. Don't listen to your mind, because if you take a mental step back and look at yourself, you'll see your body still climbing, even though your mind has given up. So never give up. The body can take a lot.

The most difficult part of Boot is just shuttin' your fat mouth, turning off the analyzers in your grape, and doing as your told. Sounds simple, right? Just do what your told. You'd be surprised at how hard that seems to end up being. You want to know why, or you want the person next to you to do it because you did it last time, or something, and you don't just do it. Well, life will be easier if you just do it. That's another of those unbelievable truths I'd been told before Boot.

Recruit Training will most likely be the best thing to happen to you. Unless you're perfect, then you will improve. You'll learn more knowledge than you ever thought possible, you will be in the best physical shape you've ever been in, you will meet some of the greatest Marines in the world (your motivated Drill Instructors), you will make some of your best memories, and you will make life long friendships. Recruit Training will be what you make of it. It can be a totally crappy experience, or it can be one of a new beginning, of a new life, of a new and exciting existence.

I had a great Boot experience. I love having so much knowledge stored in my brain housing group. It's just cool to be able to spout off answers that the majority of the world has no clue about. I love being so physically fit (I lost 16 pounds and improved my run from 26:35 to 22:21). My Drill Instructors are the most awesome, motivated, dedicated Marines I've ever met, and I can only hope to take and learn from them and do them proud. I have some good and bad memories (trips to the Pit, "parties" on the quarterdeck, ambushing other teams on the Crucible, and more) that will forever be with me. I have sisters that will always be there for me, and that I'll always be there for. I'm a Marine, and I look forward to what the Marines have in store for me.

So stay motivated. Don't ever give up because there is more strength in you than you know. Recruit Training is just the fire that clears away the old nastiness and lets the raw, new steel stand forth, strong and ready to go. And no one said fire doesn't hurt, but it sure does aa good job of cleaning.

jinelson
11-09-06, 06:41 AM
Thank you Amy, what outstanding advice!

Semper Fi

Jim

Camper51
11-09-06, 10:29 AM
It's absolutely amazing how some of us old goats actually manage to say or do something right once in a while. You are so right about bootcamp being 90% mental. Once you get past that everything else is relatively easy.

Semper Fi and Good luck to all of the new Marines who joined the ranks this last week...

Dave

hunter06
11-09-06, 11:27 AM
She is absolutley correct about everything she said. Although boot camp is hard, it is so much more mentally hard than physical. Just remember that almost every time they are playing games they are just trying to see who they can break. Dont let them break you, they will never forget the day that you broke. Expecially your kill hat. Our kill hat was still bringing up recruits that cried back in phase one on graduation morning. Dont let what they say to you get to you. Never, ever talk back to a Drill Intructor and always sound off at the top of your lungs. They will leave you alone almost imediatley if you just blast them back when there screaming at you. Boot camp is as hard as you make it. It can be alot of fun and fly by if you give 100 % all day long. It also can be a very, very long three months. Just remember to have fun and soak in everything your drill instructors tell you. Everything they do is for a reason and will help you out one day. And the friends that you make in boot camp will probally be some of the closest friends you have. Most of the Marines graduated with in my platoon would trust my life with them. Just stay motivated and focus on Earning that Eagle, Globe and Anchor. And believe me, you will earn it and you will feel the chills running down you whole body when your Senior Drill Instructor hands it to you and shakes your hand and says "Good job Marine, I am proud of you." I will never forget that day.

Semper Fi

thezero
11-09-06, 11:32 AM
Amy thats very encouraging, I hope many others read that and want to join, I suggest you try to go to some high schools and talk about joining the Corps because you sound like you would be able to convince quite a few people

rb1651
11-09-06, 01:07 PM
Very well put, Amy. Makes me want to go back!!! With such passion in your writing, I see a potentially successful Recruiter somewhere down the road.

Marine84
11-09-06, 05:49 PM
The most difficult part of Boot is just shuttin' your fat mouth, turning off the analyzers in your grape, and doing as your told. Sounds simple, right? Just do what your told. You'd be surprised at how hard that seems to end up being. You want to know why, or you want the person next to you to do it because you did it last time, or something, and you don't just do it. Well, life will be easier if you just do it. That's another of those unbelievable truths I'd been told before Boot.

There are some folks that REALLY need to pay attention to THIS part - nobody will ask you what you think or how you feel about doing something - it's not important in the grand scheme of things WHAT you think or how you FEEL about it.

Patriot34
12-19-07, 05:32 PM
never give up. The body can take a lot.

I totally agree with Amy here, even if I am just a poolee. I had cancer twice in four years. She hit the nail right on the head when she said that. Your body can take a walop.

skaterjon89
01-29-08, 06:00 AM
I'm going to have a hard time I think not smiling when I'm hurting ( i don't know why I do this, some people call me sadistic because I like the pain, lets you know you're alive :) )

Also I'm known for having a quick tounge, just a question to any Marines, did any Recruit ever say some snotty remark to a DI? and what happened to this Recruit?

SGTBrentG
01-29-08, 06:36 AM
Quick tongue, huh? My suggestion is that you set the proper expectation the minute you step off the bus and engage that quick tongue and set those DI's straight right from the get go. Come back and tell us how it went.

skaterjon89
01-29-08, 07:15 AM
LOL Sgt. Brent, I'm not saying I will, HELLLLLLLZZZZZ NO!!!!!!! Those to me are some of the scariest men/women alive who can kick my ass from here to mars lol...

I will definitely not saying squat, I'll probably sound like a pre-puberty boy sounding off I'll be so scared sh!tless lol, I'm asking did anyone do this? And what did the D.I. do to him/her?

My apologizes for the misinterpreted writing I have lol...

SGTBrentG
01-29-08, 07:47 AM
I personally did not and I was quite the smart a** when I went to boot camp. I also did not witness it. Going in I thought "I am the man and I aint scared of nothing". Guess what...my first memory of MCRD is when the bus stopped and that DI came on the bus screaming "get your a**es off my bus and in my footprints" was..."what the hell have I gotten myself in to?" From that moment forward they had my attention! And I'll tell you something else. If I had to do it all over again, knowing what I know now, I would do the same thing. Maybe some day I will forget certain parts of boot camp. I doubt it, but maybe. The 3 days I know will stay with me forever are getting off the bus, meeting our DI's and they day we were called Marines.

PatriotGirl422
01-29-08, 08:14 AM
Also I'm known for having a quick tounge, just a question to any Marines, did any Recruit ever say some snotty remark to a DI? and what happened to this Recruit?

I always kept my mouth shut, but there were a few girls in my platoon who thought they were hot ****. None of them every actually went off on a D.I, but they did get attitudes, make ignorant remarks, or simply ignore a D.I.. Those girls got what they deserved (3 very ****ed of D.I.'s in their face making their day a living hell). Even if a recruit was caught giving an attitude to other recruits, she still got disciplined. One time when me and about 5 other recruits were on the quarterdeck, this one girl told us to all shut the **** up. The D.I. let the rest of us go, and contined to have fun with that recruit for being selfish and whatnot.

jjpryor
02-19-08, 12:39 PM
Quick tongue, huh? My suggestion is that you set the proper expectation the minute you step off the bus and engage that quick tongue and set those DI's straight right from the get go. Come back and tell us how it went.

Yeah, & while your at it, oh never mind.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
02-20-08, 11:18 AM
That was motivating. I've never heard so much jargon come out at the cyclic rate like that before. Congragulations Marine and Welcome to the Family

MotivatorOfTheGuard
02-20-08, 11:21 AM
I'm going to have a hard time I think not smiling when I'm hurting ( i don't know why I do this, some people call me sadistic because I like the pain, lets you know you're alive :) )

You'll find your natural instincts now, will not be a problem. You'll be scared, nervous, and all the recruits i heard say something stupid, usually never said anything again.

Patriot34
02-21-08, 07:03 PM
You'll find your natural instincts now, will not be a problem. You'll be scared, nervous, and all the recruits i heard say something stupid, usually never said anything again.

because the drill instructors drag them off into the woods and then it's GAME OVER MAN!
:D

MotivatorOfTheGuard
02-21-08, 08:39 PM
No, but they will instill it into you on the quarterdeck!

Patriot34
02-22-08, 10:55 AM
shut your mouth and do your push ups as well and as fast as you can.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
02-22-08, 01:31 PM
trust me they have ways of wiping a smirk off of your face.

"Ink Stick Ink Sticks on line right now. Now hold them out in front of you arm parallel to the deck!"

Once you learn how heavy a simple pen can be...you'll learn to keep your bearing.

Whigwam
02-28-08, 04:56 PM
I'm personally a snideish smartmouth but plan to shut my trap, work my ass off, hope i dont f* up and pray to god if i do i learn to never do it again. oh and did i mention i plan to SHUT MY TRAP...
its about being a team, we shouldn't get out platoon in trouble.
it's off to San Diego in 25 days, leaving chitown behind for a while...
im not sure what everyone means by ink sticks and lead sticks but im sure they'll learn me the meaning the hard way, my recruiter told me to enjoy the time left before camp and concentrate on working on my pt (needs work)

bstewar09
02-28-08, 05:44 PM
Aurora Illinois, you ever get to meet Wayne and Garth? Sorry bout that, anyway, how are you going to San Diego if you live in Chicago, I mean maybe my geography is a little off, but I thought if you lived east of the Mississippi you went to Parris Island.

SGT7477
02-28-08, 05:49 PM
I'm personally a snideish smartmouth but plan to shut my trap, work my ass off, hope i dont f* up and pray to god if i do i learn to never do it again. oh and did i mention i plan to SHUT MY TRAP...
its about being a team, we shouldn't get out platoon in trouble.
it's off to San Diego in 25 days, leaving chitown behind for a while...
im not sure what everyone means by ink sticks and lead sticks but im sure they'll learn me the meaning the hard way, my recruiter told me to enjoy the time left before camp and concentrate on working on my pt (needs work)
My advice to you is keep your mouth zipped because if you don't you will pay dearly and so will the rest of the platoon and if you think you are the tough guy well they will break you down so fast it will make your head spin.:evilgrin:

SGT7477
02-28-08, 05:51 PM
Aurora Illinois, you ever get to meet Wayne and Garth? Sorry bout that, anyway, how are you going to San Diego if you live in Chicago, I mean maybe my geography is a little off, but I thought if you lived east of the Mississippi you went to Parris Island.
Is that true we use to get a choice in my time maybe times have changed?:flag:

bstewar09
02-28-08, 05:52 PM
Is that true we use to get a choice in my time maybe times have changed?:flag:

I think I read that somewhere, but then again every little bit of information I know is mostly second hand so who knows.

Whigwam
02-28-08, 09:15 PM
I certainly plan on keeping my mouth zipped. like i said, i dont want to get my platoon in trouble if i can help it. and i am definitely not the tough guy and do NOT intend on trying to play the role. I'm more the nerdy geeky types.lol

my recruiter said i would be going to SD. d'ont quote me but i believe illinois might fall under a " send them where we need them" area. i mean it IS the MIDwest

MotivatorOfTheGuard
02-28-08, 09:45 PM
I certainly plan on keeping my mouth zipped. like i said, i dont want to get my platoon in trouble if i can help it. and i am definitely not the tough guy and do NOT intend on trying to play the role. I'm more the nerdy geeky types.lol

my recruiter said i would be going to SD. d'ont quote me but i believe illinois might fall under a " send them where we need them" area. i mean it IS the MIDwest

It's usually the nerdy guys who show up the body builders and star athletes. Their tears will be your strength. Good Luck.

LanceCriminal
09-15-08, 02:51 AM

(yes I have since this happen....below are some of the things I saw in bootcamp and experienced, and lets just say DI's have a thing called a Whiskey Locker....and you never want to be locked in one alone with your Kill Hat)

Ok here is what you do! When you are getting ITed and you are doing mountain climbers in the middle of doing them jump up and shout "THIS RECRUIT HAS REACHED THE TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN SIR!!" Oh and during hygeine inspection make sure your skivies are pulled up your ass crack.
My Platoon did some stupid **** in bootcamp. It was all in good fun though. DI's are Marines, they are still human and still deep down somewhere have a sence of humor. While I dont sugest trying to find it. If you can bring it out it makes boot camp fun. We always looked at bootcamp as War Games between recruits and DI's. Except in these games they are holding SAW's while you have a pellet gun. (Not exactly fair) If you could get a DI to loose his bearing then you won the battle, win enough and they start playing more games with you. Changing things up and making it harder for you. THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT! You want to get everything out of bootcamp that you can. We had one recruit who constantly got in trouble and was getting ITed everyday. One of these days everyone in the platoon ran to the quarterdeck to get ITed with him. This drove my Kill Hat crazy. He was a boot hat and still did not know what he could and couldnt get away with. Learn your DI's boundries and push them. Make them make it harder for you. Physically bootcamp is nothing, so push yourself and others around you to make it harder.

I guess my point in all this is don't let the exhausting mental stress break you. Do what you have to to keep yourself mentally aware. Pay attention and learn your DI's, and learn what you can about everything else. Have fun with bootcamp, weither fun for you is playing games with the DI's or being a robot recruit. When you get to the fleet it will be all you talk about at your first duty station, because everyone can relate to you and what you went through there. Good Luck Devil Pups! Can't wait to have you in my Corps once you earn that Eagle Globe and Anchor and I can offically call you Marines!

degenerate138
09-17-08, 10:44 PM
This is really motivating. I'll be sure to read this before I head out to Recruit Training. Thanks Amy.

MotherGoose
09-18-08, 07:52 AM
Congratulations Amy! Sounds like you have the right attitude to become an outstanding leader of Marines! SEMPER FI!!!
:marine::marine::marine:

rmreynolds
09-28-08, 12:59 AM

Also, my Recruiter says I might have the option of going to MCRDSD over Parris Island even though I currently live in VA due to the fact that my father went to SD. I think its allowed if it is a tradition or a part of your family's lineage but correct me if I'm wrong on that.