PDA

View Full Version : Anti-War Protesters to Serve as 'Human Shields' in Iraq

thedrifter
01-23-03, 11:52 AM
Michael Drudge
London
23 Jan 2003, 12:45 UTC

Anti-war protesters in Britain are preparing to leave for Iraq to volunteer to be so-called "human shields" at key Iraqi installations in case of a U.S.-led war.

The first 50 volunteers plan to leave on Saturday from London City Hall aboard two double-decker buses for what they plan to be a two-week drive to Baghdad.

Along the way, they intend to pick up more voluntary human shields, who plan to camp out at hospitals, water treatment plants and similar facilities in the event a war breaks out over Iraq's suspected arsenal of weapons of mass destruction.

Ahead of their departure, several of the volunteers went to the residence of Prime Minister Tony Blair to drop off photocopies of their passports and a list of places in Iraq where they plan to deploy.

The leader of the group, Ken O'Keefe, explained why the material was delivered.

"Tony Blair has been notified that British citizens, U.S. citizens and others in our democracies are going to be in harm's way and we will be killed by our own governments should they carry out this war as they intend to do right now," he said.

Mr. O'Keefe is a former U.S. Marine and veteran of the 1991 Gulf war that ended Iraq's occupation of Kuwait. He describes his participation in the human shield effort as "penance" for his service in that war.

There has been no comment from Mr. Blair's office about the volunteers' visit to Number 10 Downing Street. British government officials say there are still no plans for a war in Iraq, although the pace of the U.S. and British military buildup in the Persian Gulf region is quickening.

The leader of the self-styled Muslim Parliament of Britain, Ghayasuddin Siddiqui, told a news conference he endorses the human shield project. Mr. Siddiqui's group is a non-governmental organization founded to promote the social welfare of Britain's Muslims. He asserts that Mr. Blair is out of touch with British public opinion on Iraq.

"This country is solidly behind the anti-war movement," he said. "Blair has tried to persuade the people by releasing the Iraq weapons dossier but it didn't work. Then he released the Iraq human rights dossier. Even that one didn't work."

Polls released this week show an upswing in anti-war sentiment among the British public, but by a two-to-one margin they would support a war with Iraq if the U.N. Security Council votes for it.

Sempers,

Roger

Barrio_rat
01-23-03, 12:15 PM
How can we get more on board for this? I mean, shouldn't we encourage the 'peace movement' to go there and help 'em out?

My thinkin' ... birds and stones.

wrbones
01-23-03, 03:51 PM
I'd think that there are easier ways to commit suicide.....

Oh, that's right! They won't let Brits have any guns!

Barrio_rat
01-23-03, 04:45 PM
Yer right there, Bones. Why do you think they like going on deployments? They get to have weapons when they are out of their homeland! And, once in a while, the get to use 'em.

Adonis
01-23-03, 06:51 PM
Let the idiots go. If they actually think they can possibly extract one OUNCE of sympathy or ONE moment's hesitation in regard to their richly deserved and just death, then let them labor under that illusion until they see the first incoming. (If so be that they aren't turned into sex slaves first). Society is better off without brainless Don Quixotes like that. WHERE do they get these people anyway??

I mean, if they're willing to die for peace, let 'em. The insane thing is, why would a person choose to leave his own country because of a strike IN RESPONSE to the actions of the very country to which he defects? Does this person actually believe the idea that WE are evil because we RESPOND to acts of terrorist aggression? Is he ACTUALLY stupid enough to sacrifice himself for the countries that INITIATED the very cause of the war, as if THOSE countries were innocent???

Good grief!! If we were as evil and imperialistic as they say we are then why wouldn't we have conquered the WHOLE STINKIN' WORLD by now!!??? I mean, who could POSSIBLY have stopped us? What a bunch of idiots!

Maybe we can start humanitarin air drops using these "voluteers". Drop them out from 15,000 feet without a chute so that way the meat would be tenderized and divided properly. I mean I'm sure most of these guys are organ donors. Heheh we'll just use a little poetic license in regard to the interepretation of their medical contract. it would accomplisch the same effect and accomplish more thatn they ever thought. LOL

1. It would raise the morale of the Iraqi troops to see them dropped to their death.
2. It would give the terrorists new ideas of how to kill themselves
3. It would provide at least 5 warm meals to whoever wanted to pick up the peices, or whoever was closest.

Man with those kind of benifits LET 'EM go they'd be doing EVERYBODY a favor!