PDA

View Full Version : A Well-earned Kick In The Gut

thedrifter
11-08-06, 08:06 AM
A WELL-EARNED KICK IN THE GUT
Neal Nuze ^ | 11/8/06 | Neal Bootz

A WELL-EARNED KICK IN THE GUT

The voters gave the Republicans a well-earned kick in the gut yesterday. They have taken control of the House of Representatives by an overwhelming margin. They needed 15 seats to get control. They have won at least 28. As of this morning the Senate is still in play. At best the Republicans will have a one-seat margin in the Senate.

When I got up at 4:00 this morning and started to look at results, I can honestly say that I was neither surprised nor disappointed. I've been saying this for weeks ... and I'll say it again right now ... this may be the best possible outcome for the future of our Republic.

This is good news .. and bad news. Good news because of the message it sends to Republicans. Bad news because of the message it sends to Islamic jihadists who are dedicated to the destruction of our culture.

One thing is certain. The Republicans worked very hard for this defeat. They've earned every lost seat. The Republican majority that was sent packing yesterday bore little resemblance to the Republican majority that rode to power 12 years ago. In 1994 we were promised less government. Over the next 12 years the Republicans more than doubled the size of the government. We were promised control over runaway spending. In the last six years discretionary spending has doubled. We were promised fiscal responsibility. We got a bridge to nowhere in Alaska. We were promised the elimination of the Department of Education. After all, educational achievement had been on a steady decline since education was federalized under this Department. In no time at all the Republicans doubled funding for the Department of Education. In the meanwhile America continues to slip on the international scorecard of educational achievement.

The Republicans, in full control of the government, couldn't even manage to stop the Mexican invasion. How many Hispanics invaded our country across the Mexican / American border in the last 12 years? Twelve million? Twenty? Funny, but I don't remember pressing 1 for English in 1994.

So how did I actually vote when I got that provisional ballot in my hand. Straight Libertarian. I voted for every Libertarian candidate on the ballot. I couldn't bring myself to vote for the Social Democrat Party ... and the Republicans simply had not earned my vote. I was heartened this morning to read the following line from an Augusta Chronicle story on the vote: "With the aid of statewide distribution of Libertarian Neal Boortz's radio talk show since the last election, the Libertarian Party is enjoying its strongest support ever, making Georgia one of the party's most vibrant states." Good to hear.

I was wondering how I would feel when I woke up on November 8th to find the Republicans out of power in the House. Now I know. I'm rather enjoying this. I'm enjoying the thought of Republican party leaders getting together somewhere to try to figure out what went wrong. Will they second guess their free-spending habits? Will they re-think their big-government agenda? Will they swap recriminations on their failure to stem the Mexican invasion? Will the wonder what would have happened if they had adopted a national agenda as they did in 1994, rather than insisting on their concentration on local issues? Will they ask why President Bush never pulled out his veto pen ... not until the issue of federal funding for stem cell research was on the table?

If the Republicans had maintained their power we would have faced two more years of business as usual. Two more years of spending and government growth. Now we have two years of Republicans figuring out how they can convince the American people that they deserve to lead again.

Ellie