PDA

View Full Version : Another Goulet stars at Plymouth before entering the Marines

thedrifter
11-08-06, 06:06 AM
Another Goulet stars at Plymouth before entering the Marines

By KEVIN GRAY
Staff Sports Writer

THE FEW. The proud. The Goulet brothers.

Plymouth senior captain Willie Goulet, the heart and soul of his undefeated football team, has the size and speed to play in college.

But the 6-foot-3, 220-pounder already has plans to follow his brothers -- all three of them -- to the Marines after graduation.

The oldest brother, Chris, 22, has served two tours of duty in Iraq. Eric, 21, is currently stationed at Camp Pendleton near San Diego. Andy, 19, recently graduated from boot camp at Parris Island, S.C.

Andy was able to attend Saturday's Division III semifinal as the Bobcats (10-0) defeated Souhegan of Amherst, 21-9. Wearing his Marine Corps dress blues, Andy watched proudly as his brother intercepted a pass and led the defense before re-aggravating a shoulder injury.

Fortunately, Andy will be able to watch Saturday's championship game against Portsmouth (8-2) before reporting to Camp Lejeune, N.C., for advanced infantry training. A year ago, Andy and Willie each scored touchdowns in Plymouth's title-game triumph over Souhegan.

Soon they'll all be leathernecks, following a family tradition that began with their grandfather, Robert Goulet, joining the Marines.

"I've told him he should go play college football, but he wants to be a Marine," said Andy, a captain on last year's team. "For all of us being brothers and being in the Marine Corps, that's very special. Words can't explain what it means."

For two seasons, Willie has been a two-way starter for juggernaut Plymouth, which owns a 21-game winning streak. In last year's final, he rushed for 146 yards, two touchdowns and sealed the Division III title with a clutch interception in the final two minutes.

For this championship, however, he may be cheering from the sideline. Shoulder X-rays showed "a piece of bone cracked off," Willie said. He'd already been suffering from cartilage damage in his shoulder when he collided with a Souhegan player at the line of scrimmage on Saturday.

Willie stayed on the field for a few more plays, and then sat silently on the bench. Surgery is scheduled for next week.

"He's beat up, but he's our leader," Plymouth coach Chuck Lenahan said. "He's been playing with that bad shoulder all year. If it popped out, he pop it back in and keep playing."

Reached at home on Monday night, Goulet said he felt fortunate to win a championship last year because he likely won't be on the field against Portsmouth. During Plymouth's regular-season win against the Clippers, Goulet was credited with 14 tackles and eight assists as the Bobcats posted a rainy 14-7 win.

"I still don't know if I'm going to be playing on Saturday, but at least I know I had last year with my brother. You couldn't think of a better ending to the season than we had last year," said Willie, a fullback with eight touchdowns this season.

The Goulet brothers have always had a knack of winning the big game. Andy scored on a 56-yard fumble return in last year's final; Eric played on Plymouth's 1997 national championship Pop Warner team and later won two titles for the Bobcats.

They were always Willie's heroes. Then and now.

"I've always looked up to my brothers. Watching them go through boot camp, and then seeing my brother come back from war, that really inspired me," Willie said. "I don't know of anything more honorable than being a Marine and serving our country."

Just five months ago, Plymouth graduate Douglas DiCenzo, an Army captain, was killed in Iraq when a roadside bomb exploded near his Humvee. His memorial service was held on the Plymouth football field where DiCenzo led the Bobcats to the 1994 title.

His death rocked Plymouth -- and within weeks Andy Goulet joined the Marines.

Now after 13 weeks of basic training, he's more than ready for Iraq if needed.

"I live and die for this country. That's why you see me here in blues, you understand? Marine Corps, Marine Corps, Marine Corps," Andy said last Saturday.

Willie, a tenacious linebacker, didn't yet sound like the hardened soldier when asked about the possibility of going to Iraq. Heck, he's only 17 and probably wondering whom to take to the prom.

"You do what you've got to do. It's definitely not the place you want to be, but I'll be serving my country," he said.

What kind of advice will he get from Andy before enlisting?

"Good luck. That's all I can say. You can't really give anyone advice. It's something everyone has to go through and experience for themselves," Andy said. "You go in a kid and come out a man."

Willie will be a man soon enough. For now, he's hoping to play one more game for the Bobcats.

Ellie