PDA

View Full Version : Awe

thedrifter
11-07-06, 08:11 AM
AWE

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail. but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying Damn that was fun these were the first words I read on First Sergeant Ploskonka's email today.

What an awesome man. Marine.

I first met 'DA First Sergeant' the same way I met Steve. Through Aaron's message board which is somewhere around 100 pages in length now. Through this board, Marines that fought next to Aaron have been able to link up with each other and to share a little bit of their love for Aaron with MOM.

Gabriel Morales, who was with Aaron during OIF 1 (and who named his son after Aaron) and 'DA First Sergeant' were able to connect. I emailed Morales and asked him to email the First Sergeant for me. Greg and I were planning on being in D.C. and wanted to meet him. The First Sergeant in turn, invited us to The Evening Parade on May 19, 2006--hosted by: General Robert Magnus, Assistant Commandant of the Marine Corps.

Probably most of you know what The Evening Parade and Marine Barracks are about. I did not and it was a delight from start to finish. I've linked at the bottom and I know you'll enjoy this exciting Corps history . The sight is breathtaking.

First Sergeant Ploskonka works for D.C. Habitat for Humanities on Saturdays and visits the Wounded Marines at Bethesda Naval Hospital on Sundays. He has one beautiful daughter. He doesn't smoke or drink, and like Steve, he's a vegetarian, thus killing any thoughts of care packages. I remember him saying he had to finally eat some meat in Iraq because he was losing too much weight.

First Sergeant Ploskonka was awarded the Purple Heart for injuries received in Iraq. I'm assuming this is the injury he speaks of in his message to Aaron. He doesn't mention anything about the Purple Heart. I found that out from Morales. I've asked Morales for a picture of him receiving his Purple Heart, but I'm not going to have it in time for this posting. If I get it, I'll be sure to share it.

What's more: The First Sergeant will soon be promoted to Sergeant Major! AAARRRHHH

Oh yeah, and at the banquet, I got to meet Chesty Puller (the 13th) I think. Yes, the mascot of the Marines. He was about 2 and I think might have had a thing for cheese, but his Handler made sure Chesty stayed in top form and urged Chesty back from the buffet.

The best way I know to introduce you to this incredible Marine, is by letting him introduce himself as he did on Aaron's message board. His incredible message (that still brings tears to my eyes) is a part of Part 6 of tonight's Shock & Awe series. Be sure to read it. He could be YOURS!!

In the meantime, here is another email from him:

Thank you very much. I was thinking about yourself and of course Aaron the other day. We had some Marines doing what we call Warrior Studies for their Green Belt Martial Arts Instructors Course and one of my Sergeants used Aaron as their case study to share with the rest in the class. It was pretty awesome to see and hear. Other than that I do not know where the road is going to take me now that I have been selected but, as long as it is in the Corps there are no worries.

Take care ! and best wishes !

1stSgt Ploskonka

First Sergeant: I will always hold you in the highest regard. Thank you and God bless you for loving my son and sharing a little glimpse of one of THE Corps' LEADERS that my son loved. Take care and as always,

Semper Fi,
De'on
First Sergeant's first message to Aaron follows..

Barracks 8th and I.

www.mbw.usmc.mil/Newmbw/

Ellie