PDA

View Full Version : Waynesboro runner joins Marines

thedrifter
11-07-06, 06:36 AM
Waynesboro runner joins Marines

By ROBERT SISK
rsisk@newsvirginian.com
Monday, November 6, 2006

Waynesboro cross country and track runner Robert Fuller has made a name for himself with his athletic contributions. But on June 12, 2007, he will be trading the purple and gold uniform for Marine Corps fa-tigues.

When the planes hit the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001, Fuller was still in middle school. After seeing the tragedy on television, the young Fuller made a decision to join the mili-tary.

"I wanted to join the service, and I know the Marines are more active right now," he said.

Fuller signed the paperwork in June 2006. It took time for Fuller to decide what he wanted to do in the Corps - sniper school and national security crossed his mind, but in the end he went for the security forces.

For Fuller's mother, Mary, there is no room for anxiety about her son joining the corps, just pride.

"Actually, this is the best choice he has ever made," She said. "He could have gone to college, but we talked about it, and he kind of agreed that most of the kids go to college and not all of them get jobs. If he sticks with the Marines, he has a good chance."

Leaving home for the first time is never easy, and the major lifestyle changes joining the Marines brings makes the move even harder. But for Fuller, the chance to go out and make a difference overshadows the difficulties of being away from home.

"It doesn't worry me too much," Fuller said. "I'm just out there looking forward to bigger things."

With two uncles in the Navy, the Marines Corps may seem like an odd choice, but the ri-valry between the two services has not come up much in the family.

"You don't pick on Marines," Fuller said.

In time, Fuller said he would like to be shipped to Iraq and serve on the front lines. The dangers of serving during war-time worry his mother, but she is proud of her son and the choices he has made.

"If you're happy with what you do, I think it's great," Mary Fuller said. "Millions of people die doing what makes them happy - whether it's hang-gliding or jumping from air-planes."

Fuller has been active in track and cross country while at Waynesboro High School. On the cross country team, Fuller fills the first runner position, and during the Region II meet on Nov. 3, he broke a personal best time, crossing the finish line at 17:10.

The experience of running cross country benefits him as he prepares for his ship-out date, he said.

"The cross country running experience is going to do well," he said. "I'm the fastest [recruit] in this region."

Staff Sgt. Erik Flickinger, Fuller's recruiter, is still work-ing with him to help him prepare months after the contract was signed.

With the months of civilian life ticking away, Mary Fuller's pride grows. Despite the con-flicts and the long times away from home, she plans to always be his number-one supporter.

"He's a really great kid," she said. "I'm not going to talk him out of anything. I'm behind him 101 percent."

Fuller will not be completely alone in the Marine Corps. His friend, Justin Hewitt, will also be dressed in Marine blue, but they will not be attending the same boot camp class.

"Your friends aren't with you all the time. Friends don't get hooked up," Mary Fuller said.

After his time with the Ma-rines is up, Fuller does plan to go to college. While he has consid-ered going to school and study-ing criminal justice or forensics, he is planning to attend Univer-sal Technical Institute in Penn-sylvania to study auto body work.

Contact Robert Sisk at 932-3568.

Ellie