PDA

View Full Version : Lossing Weight and shaping up.....

Actionnottalk
11-07-06, 01:56 AM
Ok....So im twenty seven,married and have a three year old son and im a few pounds over weight. I need to be in before im twenty eight i dont think thats a problem being that i need to be at 191lbs. max and im at 209lbs. right now after lossing 6lbs. this week.

Here is what im doing at the moment
*30-40 minutes of weight training every other day
*1-2 hours swimming per day(laps and treading water)
*2 1.5 mile runs/jogs atlernating between running and jogging
*Moderate Diet (mostly cutting out the extreme excess of Soda, ie almost 1000 calories a day, and over eating and just plain eating better)
*Doing Pull ups when i can
*100 push ups and 100 Sit ups per day

my Recruiter is talking about signing things by mid-DEC and shiping Jan of next year. Should i be doing more or does this seem to be a reasonable amount? I want to be at least down to somewhere between 170-180 and 20-30% above the minimum intital requirments.

Post Script: As to why i want to become a Marine, well after seeing my younger brother Donald graduate from MCRD San Deigo on the 20th of August this year i think i realized that this was what i wanted and if i wanted to make something of my self and make a positive differnce in the world then id better get my a** in gear and put up or shut up as it were. Ive got to say im aslo looking forward to knowing that i earned what few have tried for and even fewer have gotten.

hawks
11-07-06, 10:17 AM
Quit lifting, just do pullups, pushups and crunches. Cut back on the swimming, 2 hours of lap swimming a day? Youll never see results, you need to have breaks. Also, run more and go on the elliptical more. You probably lost 1 lb of fat last week, and 5 pounds of water weight. Eat about 2000-2500 calories a day.

Accord
11-07-06, 11:16 AM
Quit lifting
Bad advice. The more muscle you have, the faster your metabolism will be, and therefore you'll burn more fat. Keep lifting, just make sure that when you're lifting you're lifting HEAVY, none of this low weight/high reps trash.

You also need to straighten your diet out, simply cutting back on soda and not over-eating like you've done will show in the first week or two, but beyond that it will not yield consistent or the best possible results. You need to go on a strict set diet with 5 or 6 small meals per day which add up to 2090 calories and they need to be clean calories. The goal of your diet isn't to cut out junk, the goal of your diet is to manipulate your metabolism so your metabolism is going in overdrive 24/7, which means you'll be burning body fat even when you're sleeping at night. Just cutting out junk food will not do this.

Other than that, i'd say what you're doing is pretty good and I agree with hawks that you should cut back your swimming, unless you're getting a UZ contract you really don't need to be swimming that much and that time would be better spent working on your run as opposed to doing all than doing all that swimming.

I personally lost more than 80 pounds to be able to join, so i've got some experience with this, and will be glad to answer any of your questions.

thezero
11-07-06, 11:28 AM
Ok I am just about 16 5'8ish 145 pounds. I played soccer but my season just ended, and I don't think I will make the Basketball team this winter. I would like some tips on getting more muscle weight, and less fat. I am going to try to go on 7-14mile runs with my dad (retired Marine, also ran the Marine Corps Marathon) is there anything else that I should do besides pull-ups, sit-ups, and push-ups? (I am trying to gain more upper body strength) And I do not have access to a gym or anything for awhile. Thanks for taking the time to read and answer if you do)

proachbass91
11-07-06, 03:03 PM
Ok I am just about 16 5'8ish 145 pounds. I played soccer but my season just ended, and I don't think I will make the Basketball team this winter. I would like some tips on getting more muscle weight, and less fat. I am going to try to go on 7-14mile runs with my dad (retired Marine, also ran the Marine Corps Marathon) is there anything else that I should do besides pull-ups, sit-ups, and push-ups? (I am trying to gain more upper body strength) And I do not have access to a gym or anything for awhile. Thanks for taking the time to read and answer if you do)

Stop the long distance running, do it once a week at most. Do Interval running, and sprints. When you do sprints, find a big hill and do them up the hill. Start lifting heavy weights 1-5 reps.

Actionnottalk
11-07-06, 07:49 PM
Here is what a normal day was like with me before I started to cut back.

*no breakfast

*lunch:Hamburger with swiss and cheddar and fries

*Dinner: fried food unless I was having Mexican or Pasta

*8 - 10 20oz sodas a day

Typical day now.

*Breakfast: 1cup ceral with lowfat milk and an apple

*Lunch: 6oz chicken breast, 6oz rice and 6oz what ever the veg. of the day is.

*Dinner:Usualy 6oz chicken again,either broccoli or green beans and rice again

*Drinks are usualy water, milk or light lemonade

*snacks: Carrots or Apples

Any Suggestions on improving on this? Aslo define heavy lifting ive been doing about 60lbs to 80lbs depending on the type of lift

Wolfman07
11-07-06, 09:37 PM
Diet seems right. In the area of lifting dont just lift the same weight all the time, you wont get any stronger that way you'll just tone your muscles, increase the weight week by week, doing 3 sets of 6-8 reps. It worked great form me, started the summer with a bench max of 135 and Ive moved it up to 175 and steadily increasing. Also try to max out on some lifts by doing as much weight as you can one time and see where your at and then adjust to a weight you think you can do 3x8.

hawks
11-08-06, 12:22 AM
To gain muscle you have to increase your caloric intake above your standard. So if you want to take that approach start eating a lot of healthy foods for say 4 weeks and strictly lift. Then you could cut all your fat off alot easier along with some muscle, but overall you would be better. Because right now your not eating enough and exercising too much to gain any muscle seeing as how it looks like your eating about 1500-2000 calories a day. Have 5 or 6 maels a day. Have your breakfast, then 3 hours later have an apple and some carrots, then 2 hours alter have your lunch with chicken, then 2-3 hours later have a cup of yogurt with some cereal in it with a banana and peanut butter, then have your supper then have some cottage cheese before you go to bed.

When your wanting to lose weight fast, its really hard to gain muscle (bc you have to increase calories, gaining muscle is different from gaining strength) and to cut weight you need to have a deficit in calories.

So why dont you cut out that lifting for now unless you dont want to ship for a bit longer then 2 months.

Just run and do the ellipitical (if you hvae access to one) and then keep swimming every other day (let your body rest and recover). Also do a bunch of pushups, crucnhes, dips, pullups, squats (no weights) and lunges to build up those strengths.
This is what I pretty much did to lose 70 pounds. I didnt really lift to often because my focus was on losing weight. Now I am gaining all my strength back and then some more, and its working very well (up to 10 pull ups now, beginning of the year my max was 3 or 4 and that was sept 1.

Hobson
11-08-06, 12:31 AM
Stop the long distance running, do it once a week at most. Do Interval running, and sprints. When you do sprints, find a big hill and do them up the hill. Start lifting heavy weights 1-5 reps. How do you figure sprinting is better to burn calories? Longer slower running for longer periods will burn more calories.

hawks
11-08-06, 12:34 AM
HIIT (high intensity interval training) is a lot more effective at burning calories and getting you in better shape. Also, the long slow runs slow down your fast twitch muscles.
Heres a good link on HIIT - http://www.freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/Message.jsp?f_ix=23&t_ix=29

Hobson
11-08-06, 12:41 AM
I think I trust webMD more than freetrainers.com http://onhealth.webmd.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=52409
So you want the bottom line: Which cardio exercise will fat-bust the best? "Running is the best option for calorie burning, in my opinion," says Niki Kimbrough, personal fitness expert with Bally Total Fitness. "Whether it's outside or on a treadmill, it's the best exercise because you're burning calories and you're strengthening your legs and heart -- it'll get you nice and lean." Beginners should start with 20 minutes, explains Kimbrough, and work their way up. "It takes about 20 minutes for your body to get going, and then your body starts to kick it to another level," says Kimbrough. "Ideally, you want to run for about 30 or 45 minutes."

thezero
11-08-06, 07:25 AM
Alright then so run for about an hour, do sprints on a hill, weight lift i normally have done 10 reps 3 times (when I could) and consume about 2000-2500 calories a day. Is that all right.

hawks
11-08-06, 11:29 AM
Your not going to gain much strength. If you want to gain strength/muslce while losing fat, DO THE HIIT PROGRAM. You need an access of calories to build muscle, so you will need more than 2500 calories. Especially if you go for hour long runs.

Accord
11-08-06, 12:12 PM
I think I trust webMD more than freetrainers.com http://onhealth.webmd.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=52409
The person quoted on webMD is nothing more than a personal trainer from Bally's, and it's her single opinion.

HIIT is the most effective way to burn calories as far as cardio goes, except your workout will be far more intense and the kicker is you will continue to burn calories all throughout the rest of the day, night, and the following 48 hours because it gets your metabolism going in overdrive. If you do 3 miles of HIIT, you'll burn the same amount of calories that you would if you simply ran that 3 miles at a steady pace, but HIIT will keep your metabolism going, get your heart rate a lot higher, increase your lung capacity and vo2 max, and keep you burning calories long after your workout is finished.

I lost 80 pounds by doing HIIT and Hawks lost 70 pounds himself doing the same thing. HIIT is by far the most effective method of cardio if your goal is pure fat loss. If you only do HIIT or only do steady long runs, your, your progress will be stale. You need to mix things up and keep your body guessing, so you should be doing HIIT twice a week and a long distance run once or twice a week. If you only do one or the other and not both, you'll hit a plateau in your weight loss very quickly.

thezero
11-08-06, 01:19 PM
Ok thanks and by HIIT im guessing sprint like running? Which would help because I live in Maine and I live on a Hill and everywhere around my house is hills.

hawks
11-08-06, 02:30 PM
Heres the HIIT program simply: warm up for 3 minutes (50% of max speed) then go 65% for a minute, followed by 98% for a minute, repeat for as long as you want, then cool down.

Hobson
11-08-06, 02:54 PM
At what point do you go 100%?

I don't know what your website says, but I know from personal experience that long runs burn weight, your program may do that too. When you go to MCRD you will experience a bit of both.

S/F

hawks
11-08-06, 03:12 PM
I dont think you really ever go 100%, because in theory, you wont be able to be at 100% for very long.

Hobson
11-08-06, 03:18 PM
I dont think you really ever go 100%, because in theory, you wont be able to be at 100% for very long.

100% is your max speed capability, so after a while 100% would go down but as long as you still gave it as fast as you could, it's still 100%.

Actionnottalk
11-15-06, 08:59 PM
OK how do i lose 9 pounds in less then a week without doing anything stupid or is that impossalbe?

aviator101
11-15-06, 09:34 PM
I would drink lots of waterand eat only celery if I had to lose 9 pounds in a week

Accord
11-15-06, 11:36 PM
OK how do i lose 9 pounds in less then a week without doing anything stupid or is that impossalbe?
You can lose 9 pounds in a week, but 90% of those pounds will be muscle and lean body mass that you lost, not fat.

hawks
11-16-06, 01:29 AM
You could always just sleep overnight in a sauna and dont drink anything.
[edit = that was supposed to be a joke...I just got done writing my 15 page paper and I'm tired"]

But in all honestly, its going to be damn near impossible to lose 9 lbs that fast withut doing damage.

Accord
11-16-06, 02:13 AM
going to be damn near impossible to lose 9 lbs that fast withut doing damage.
Exactly.

A normal person cannot lose 9 pounds of bodyweight in a single week without seriously hurting their body.

Actionnottalk
11-18-06, 10:28 AM
Well im down to 200Lbs. and honestly feeling better then i have in years. I go in on monday to fill out my paper work then head in to retake my ASVAB and do my physical in LA on the 27th and Im looking at a ship date of some time in late january or Febuary.

Actionnottalk
11-22-06, 02:48 AM
Ok so I am down to 197 and I retook the ASVAB today and got a 98 and im off to MEPS not so bright and early tomorrow or i should say today at 4am in the morning. i hope everything goes well and such get my physical and get DEP'd in

jinelson
11-22-06, 06:33 AM
Good luck I'll be waiting to hear how it goes.

Jim

Actionnottalk
11-23-06, 07:49 PM
Everything went by the numbers ,except we had to wait a couple of hours for my dependant waiver to get approved. I was sworn in and will ship on or around 20070116 to the MCRD San Diego with a DD contract. One of the recruiters recomended i take the DLAB next week some time though and mentioned a couple of Intel. Jobs that that would help with.

Wolfman07
11-23-06, 08:05 PM
That DLAB is tough, tested on wed and passed but now i have to decide if i want that job or infantry.

ianmusto
11-23-06, 10:19 PM
anyone here trying to gain weight haha

jackson07
11-23-06, 11:03 PM
Wolfman I enjoyed the DLAB. I have a DC contract, or linguistics. The best advice I can give about it is get plenty of sleep the night before, and brush up on your parts of speech if you aren't well versed with them.

Wolfman07
11-24-06, 05:30 PM
I also enjoyed it, got my results back and I passed, but i didnt think i was going to. LOL. I think that Im also goning to go for DC.

jackson07
11-24-06, 09:20 PM
Let me know what you decied.

Actionnottalk
11-25-06, 03:46 PM
Well the only thing I need to do now is get down to ship weight which I belive is around 170 Lbs. by january 16th. Im thinking while this will be tough it shouldnt be too hard and ill be able to do it in plenty of time.

MC88
11-25-06, 05:01 PM
I dont get why at least one person everytime thinks that you have to quit lifting! but from what I've read your doing just UP the quanity of the things your doing, burn more calories!