PDA

View Full Version : Wartime rank

futureMarine418
11-06-06, 11:13 AM
I was looking at some stuff online today and saw this website listing the insignias that go with the ranks. Well any way i got to the bottom and saw this
<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width="90%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle>General of the Army
(Reserved for wartime only)

http://www.defenselink.mil/specials/insignias/images/ar_genarmy.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>

Fleet Admiral

http://www.defenselink.mil/specials/insignias/images/ar_genarmy.gif
General of the Air Force

http://www.defenselink.mil/specials/insignias/images/ar_genarmy.gif</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

So what i was wondering is why does the Marine Corps not have a rank reserved for wartime? Also what happens to these Generals (and fleet admirals) when a war ends?

futureMarine418
11-06-06, 11:17 AM
Another question i have is do members of different branches salute each other?

Camper51
11-06-06, 11:20 AM
Well I can at least answer the second question. Yes members of all services salute senior officers of the other services just as they would their own.

Remember you are saluting the rank, not the person or service.

futureMarine418
11-06-06, 11:23 AM
Another question. Do you salute a senior officer in passing or just when you are being addressed by him. What i mean is if you are on base and walk by a senior officer do you have to stop and salute him or can you just keep walking?

outlaw3179
11-06-06, 11:39 AM
Always salute. Always show respect to the rank .

STA0311
11-06-06, 12:14 PM
Yeah, and when a boot LT. ticks you off...you go past him about 20 times and make it a point to salute every time!!! Sorry LT's but sometimes you deserve it! LOL

jryanjack
11-06-06, 12:58 PM
I'll take a stab at the 5 star question - historically there have only been a few 5 stars - Omar Bradley, Douglas MacArthur, Chester Nimitz, Dwight D Eisnhower, and George Marshall - I think that's all. So essentially the Corps has not needed one. Remember we didn't even have a 4 star general until well into our history.

skiff
11-06-06, 01:26 PM
Add to that list "Bull" Halsey (Navy) and "Hap" Arnold (USAAF)....

:beer: :beer: :nerd:

skiff
11-06-06, 01:34 PM
Also, the '5-Stars' were considered on 'Active Duty' until they died, for instance Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz lived in government housing on Yerba Buena Island, in San Francisco Bay, adjacent to Treasure Island.

The Marine Corps never had a 5-Star, primarily because the Corps had less troops during WWII than did the other services....

Just my '2-Bits' worth...........

LDO Capt
11-06-06, 01:34 PM
Also the marine Corps is in the Department of the Navy, so essentially we fall under the "Fleet Admiral".

LDO Capt
11-06-06, 01:35 PM
Dang it Marine Corps even...

skiff
11-06-06, 01:37 PM
Also I believe that Omar Bradley was the last '5-Star' created, roughly at the time of the Korean War, when he was Army Chief-Of-Staff...

:beer: :beer: :p

skiff
11-06-06, 01:42 PM
Roger 'LDOCapt', you are probably more correct than I was about no Marine Corps 5-Star...

We ought to do something about that..............!!!!!

DWG
11-06-06, 01:50 PM
Always salute. Always show respect to the rank .
Straight out of Boot Camp/ITR I was sitting in the airport at home, just arrived, and an Air Force Colonel comes walking up; I jumped to my feet and gave him a fresh Marine salute and the guy looks like a deer in the headlights-it actually took him several seconds to remember what he was supposed to do. Another time in Dallas I saluted a soldier with brass all over him, turned out he was just enlisted and he and his buddies thought it was pretty funny-never saluted any non Navy/Marine officer again (sometimes them squids can be confusing too, lucky the enlisted wore the funny pants back then)

;)

skiff
11-06-06, 01:53 PM
Another question i have is do members of different branches salute each other?

Yes, repeat, Yes....!!

Or as they would say back in 'my time', "I hope to s*** in your 'hard hat' (Barracks Cover)".......!!!!

He...He...He...!!!

futureMarine418
11-06-06, 02:15 PM
Thak you everyone for the info

Adam1988
11-06-06, 08:28 PM
How can you tell exactly that they are an officer? Do you have to peek at their rank first and then stop and salute?

DWG
11-07-06, 06:33 AM
I rather hope they still teach that in Boot Camp! In my day, when not occupied by anything else, we had the USMC Handbook in our face reading aloud. After the 50 or 60th time, things started to stick. You will know a Marine Officer when you graduate. The other branchess are optional in my opinion.

Old Marine
11-07-06, 08:43 AM
I would suggest that if it is human and moves, salute it. If it doesn't move paint it Marine Corps Green, give it a stock number and put it in stock.