PDA

View Full Version : Bx. Gi's Arrest Ordeal

thedrifter
11-06-06, 07:51 AM
BX. GI'S ARREST ORDEAL

By PHILIP MESSING

November 6, 2006 -- A patriotic Army private, fresh out of boot camp and walking proudly through his Bronx neighborhood in fatigues, was hauled to a police station, handcuffed and interrogated by an overzealous police sergeant - for impersonating a soldier, The Post has learned.

NYPD Sgt. James Herring detained serviceman Andrew Martin Jr., 19, for nearly two hours - and the incident last month is now being probed by the Civilian Complaint Review Board, a board spokesman said.

"I've never been stopped by a cop before. I have never been in a precinct in my life. It was horrible," Martin said.

Herring has had four other civilian complaints over his six-year NYPD career, but none was ever substantiated, said CCRB spokesman Andrew Case.

Still, Martin's relatives said they were troubled by the cop's actions.

"There are Marines dying every day in Iraq, and he signs up for the infantry only to be harassed to show his ID!" said his uncle, David Martin. "We want him [Herring] reprimanded."

Martin's father, Andrew Martin Sr., said, "He should be apologizing to my son."

Martin Jr. was strolling in his Williamsbridge neighborhood on Oct. 24, on leave after finishing basic training at Fort Benning, Ga. He had donned his combat fatigues after deciding to visit his alma mater, Evander Childs HS, where he hoped to persuade others to enlist, he said.

At about 2 p.m., Herring, 34, stopped Martin on Gun Hill Road and demanded to see his military ID, Martin recalled.

"[Herring] told me, 'They don't issue these IDs anymore.'

"I told him to call my recruiter, but he wouldn't."

Herring drove him to the 47th Precinct stationhouse, Martin said.

"He just took out his handcuffs and put my hands behind my back, and he put me in the car, and when we were driving, he said, 'You look suspicious.' ".

He wasn't released, he said, until a female Army sergeant showed up with a copy of his orders and vouched for his identity.

Martin said the cop had not apologized.

A police spokesman said only that Martin was released once his status as a soldier was confirmed.

Ellie

hrscowboy
11-06-06, 08:02 AM
what a bunch of BS if i had been that Sgts chief of Police his arse would be on adminstrative leave without pay and lookin at charges of False arrest.

marinegreen
11-06-06, 08:08 AM
Boy ! I bet that cop really thought he made a major arrest, friggen rouge bastard anyway !! Guaranteed he had a cell phone,he coulda made a phone call to the guys recruiter.

lucien2
11-06-06, 08:48 AM
If a veterran cop can't tell the difference between a boot and an imposter then he belongs behind a desk or working in the jail.

OLE SARG
11-06-06, 08:55 AM
Kinda makes a STRIKE against the NYPD. The sergeant was an idiot and if that's an indication of the mentality of their corps of Sergeants, that Police Dept is in DEEP ****!!!!!!! I'm wondering with this action, how in the hell is he a sergeant in the first place!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

bigdog43701
11-06-06, 10:11 AM
oh well that's the nypd for you.

drumcorpssnare
11-06-06, 01:16 PM
Sounds like this cop has an IQ of 2! So, if he saw a man in robes with a towel around his head, and a bomb strapped to his chest.......would he let him go, because he looked like a 'real terrorist'!!! No need to confirm that, right ?
We need to send this idiot to Iraq, and let the insurgents detain him, and check HIS credentials!!!:evilgrin:

SEMPER FI and God Bless Our Troops !
drumcorpssnare

liveasstravo
11-06-06, 04:12 PM
Sounds like NYPD Sergeant James Herring must be a Republican because he is an *******!

outlaw3179
11-06-06, 04:37 PM
Or he must be Democrat cuz hes a dumbfu*k.....Wow...do we really wanna go there?

Future-USMC-LT
11-06-06, 05:43 PM
Sounds like NYPD Sergeant James Herring must be a Republican because he is an *******!

Huh?

greensideout
11-06-06, 05:44 PM
I'm going againest the flow a little on this one but---

What was the private doing in uniform or not in uniform without a copy of his orders and his ID?

Why did his uncle confuse this by talking about Marines when he is is Army?

What was the private thinking when he told the officer to call his recruiter? That would be similar to being stopped by an officer and being ask for a driver's license. Would you tell the officer to call your wife?

I have to support Sgt Herring on this one.

I hope at least that the private has learned from this and also says to his uncle, "Hey, I'm in the Army, not the Marines".

roninchilli
11-06-06, 10:05 PM
Too many inconsitincies in the story. Of this was a story from a newspaper, we all know how they screw things up. So how many of us get upset when we see some guy in cammies walking down the street, and they have never been in the service? Im sure there is more to this story than is being told. Arent we supposed to carry military ID when asked to produce it. People complain when no one investigates misrepresentation of service memebers, service members claiming they have certain ribbons, or claiming they are special ops. But when someone investigates this they are wrong.

sgt tony
11-06-06, 10:52 PM
Just a short question the private said they don't have IDs when did this happen? Tell me this is not true. I always carried a copy of my orders with me and my ID.
Semper Fi

Future-USMC-LT
11-07-06, 09:31 AM
At about 2 p.m., Herring, 34, stopped Martin on Gun Hill Road and demanded to see his military ID, Martin recalled.

"[Herring] told me, 'They don't issue these IDs anymore.'

Sounds like he had his ID.

Camper51
11-07-06, 10:17 AM
Sounds to me like an a$$hole cop. The young man had his ID card, the cop just didn't want to accept it.

Why should he have to carry his orders with him, we aren't commie Russia, or China are we????????? I thought this was a free country and we could more or less walk the streets freely.

I don't think he was smart wearing his fatigues, but hey he was Army and I guess they allow that, unlike the Corps whic does not allow utilities to be worn on liberty. He would have been better off in his soldier suit to show off his pride instead of trying to act like a punk wannabe in cammie fatigues, but then who ever said the Army had any smarts.

I think he wasn't too smart, walking around in fatigues, but the cop was even more stupid for not believing his ID card. The cop should be disciplined and the soldier boy should now have leaned a lesson...

Zulu 36
11-07-06, 12:55 PM
As a retired cop, I can't agree that the NYPD sergeant had his head up his ass for certain. I could guess that he didn't know the military changed the look of ID cards significantly in the past five years or so.

I don't know what the Army says, but I clearly remember being told (and it being written) that a Marine on leave was to carry a copy of their leave orders (or other orders showing leave or delay en route authorized) as well as their ID card. Leave orders and PCS orders used to specifically say we were to carry a copy on our person at all times.

I carried a copy every time and was happy I did as I was braced for orders once by a Detroit cop while on leave after Vietnam. Turned out he was a Marine, an ex-MP, and a Vietnam vet. He was polite the whole time, and became quite friendly after he read my orders. :D

He told me that Detroit cops were running into a bunch of AWOLs (mostly Army) and they were demanding orders everytime someone showed them an active duty ID and claimed they were on leave. Lacking orders, they were taken to the precinct until checked out. There was an Army MP AWOL apprehension team stationed in the Detroit area and DPD kept them very busy. Also, very few military people wore their uniform on leave back then too.

When I was a cop, I often asked for leave orders, especially when I was investigating the military person for something naughty. I nabbed several AWOLs and deserters that way (no Marines I'm proud to say). The military usually puts desertion warrants into the FBI's NCIC computer system (National Crime Information Center), so a standard check for wants and warrants will turn up a desertion warrant, but not a UA or AWOL status.

greensideout
11-07-06, 01:57 PM
Sounds to me like an a$$hole cop. The young man had his ID card, the cop just didn't want to accept it.

Why should he have to carry his orders with him, we aren't commie Russia, or China are we????????? I thought this was a free country and we could more or less walk the streets freely.

I don't think he was smart wearing his fatigues, but hey he was Army and I guess they allow that, unlike the Corps whic does not allow utilities to be worn on liberty. He would have been better off in his soldier suit to show off his pride instead of trying to act like a punk wannabe in cammie fatigues, but then who ever said the Army had any smarts.

I think he wasn't too smart, walking around in fatigues, but the cop was even more stupid for not believing his ID card. The cop should be disciplined and the soldier boy should now have leaned a lesson...

The orders will show that the soldier is on leave and not AWOL.
The SGT may have been a bit of a hard a** but the private may have gotten smart with him. We don't know. As someone has already said, not really enough facts in this story.

10thzodiac
11-07-06, 09:20 PM
A gravel truck pulled onto the toll way ahead of me and a stone bounced off & up and put a birds-eye in my windshield. I got the trucks license number and stopped at a tollbooth, which called an <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State><ST1:place>Illinois</ST1:place></st1:State> trooper for me. My car has a 'Marine Vietnam Veteran' license plate on the back and a 'Marine Cuban Veteran' plate on the front.

The trooper who took my report parked behind me, he could only see my back plate, and asked me if I had a license plate on the front. I told him yes, he said for me to go and check. I told him to get out of his squad car and check it his self if he wanted to know that badly. WTF

I understand allot of the cops have a hard on for military. They do not like former military people using their service time for promotions over them. How do I know, my cousin-in-law forgetting once that I was in the military and her telling me how my cousin was upset being passed over for sergeant because former military could use their service time for department promotions.<O:p></O:p>
<O:p> </O:p>
Maybe my <st1:State><ST1:place>Illinois</ST1:place></st1:State> trooper just had a hard on for Marines, who knows. Both the cop and the trucking company told me I would never collect lol. The trucking company insurance paid me without a whimper for a new windshield; I had the bird’s eye patched for 40 bucks.<O:p></O:p>

My cousin finally made sergeant, he is the 'Range Master' and sniper for the largest suburb in the Chicago land area. Guess who taught him how to shoot http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/04.gif
<O:p> </O:p>
SF<O:p></O:p>
10th <O:p></O:p>