PDA

View Full Version : Online Courses while Active Duty

SmokeyBandit
11-05-06, 10:39 AM
Is an Online Bachelors degree attainable while in such MOS's like Infantry. If so, how hard is it to do both at the same time. Second, will an Online Bachelors degree qualify entry to Officer Candidate School?

Thanks

sabbs88
11-05-06, 11:49 AM
What about SOCMAR or The Marine Corps Institute? Why wouldnt you take advantage of that?

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-05-06, 02:17 PM
You can take classes online, but you're fooling yourself if you think you can complete a degree in four years while serving on active duty. Last time I checked there was no way to take classes while in the field.

If the school is accredited by the US Department of Education, or one of their agencies, you can apply to OCS. Some are, others are not. Stick to big name schools and you should be fine.

Cpl BAJA
11-05-06, 03:32 PM
If you are going Infantry you MAY have to take a class or two during some down time after deployment. Like E4B said it will take alongtime. You'll have 3 hash marks on your sleeve before you get your Bachelors.

Unless...you take a POG job, then you may have more time on your hands.

Marine Shu
11-05-06, 03:55 PM
I have a related question. I am going into a POG MOS, and I ship for PI in March. Should I start taking online courses now, or should I wait until I'm in the fleet?

Cpl BAJA
11-05-06, 04:28 PM
I’m not too familiar with the”on-line” program, but if obtaining a degree is your ultimate goal you may be able to squeeze in a class or two. You’ll end up deferring your education anyway once you launch your Marine Corps career because so much will going on your first year…boot camp, MOS training, and duty station.

Echo5November
11-06-06, 10:05 AM
you wanna pursue a 4 year degree as much as possible while in the Corps, you better lean towards an admin job that is M-F, 0700-1600. Deployments usually put a damper on homework.

futureMarine418
11-06-06, 10:33 AM
what is a POG MOS?

Marine Shu
11-06-06, 11:05 AM
POG means: Personnel Other than Grunt. Pretty much anything that isn't infantry or combat related.