PDA

View Full Version : One Brave Marine, My Husband, My Hero

HeroesWife
11-04-06, 11:46 AM
In October, 2005, after being in Iraq for only three weeks, (this is my husbands third deployment to Iraq and Afghanistan) my husband was in combat with his AH-1W, when a ground marine was shot, and the medivac was unable to get to him. He landed his bird, grabbed the marine who had been shot in the stomach, and laid him on his lap in the helio. The helio took fire, and was unable to take off, the marine in his lap bleed to death, and the helio caught fire. My husband was able to get the dead marine out, and went back to the burning heliocopter to get his co-pilot out. He sustained serious third degree burns on his hands, and was hospitalized for over a month. For this he was awarded his second Silver Star (the first was in Vietnam). My husband is my hero. He has been awarded a Navy Cross, two Silver Stars, a Bronze Star, and numerous other medals for valor. He is a Colonel, and still will do everything that he requires his batallion to do. He is one brave marine, and would not even like it that I told his story here. He was also shot while flying in Afghanistan in May. Shot in the butt. Says it hurt and bled a lot, but he is fine and back in there. He is back in Iraq, and I am planning to visit him while he is on leave in the near future. We get 10 days, and I can hardly wait. I love him with all my heart. He had worked his way through the ranks in his forty years of service, from a grunt to a Colonel. He will be retiring soon and we will be spending our time mostly on our Montana Ranch, but some at our Hawaii pineapple farm. His son is being deployed and will be in Iraq very soon. He is in the Marine Reserves. I have a son who retired from the Marine Corp in 1999 after 19 years of service. Semper Fi (our wedding vows, also), ooRah, Go Marines!!!

:flag:

crashman
11-04-06, 03:05 PM
As a Marine myself i can tell you that you are not the only one proud of the Colonel. I am to. I come from a Marine corps family and know that you must earn the right to be called Marine. you should know that you also earned that right Marine.

good luck on the farm

:usmc:

garryh123
11-04-06, 04:44 PM
:iwo:

Marine84
11-05-06, 12:10 PM
garry honey - I think you made a little goof there?

A 40 year one - dang ma'am you need some kind of medal too - puttin' up with one for that long deserves SOMETHING! You have every reason to be proud of him - that's a REALLY good military record! WOW!

mrbsox
11-05-06, 07:45 PM
Thank you Ma'am, and a hearty OHRA to the Colonel. The essence of what MARINES are, even Officers !! lol

Welcome aboard, and thanks for the news. We look forward to seeing the Col. post a line or two also.

Semper Fi

horselady
11-22-06, 04:03 PM
America thanks you and your husband,
even if they don't say it anywhere near as
often as they should.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/timedjumpoff/BS182.jpg

DWG
11-22-06, 04:23 PM
Marines like this are what legends are built on (and I'd say there are probably a few about this Col., from the sound of it) A humble thank you from this old Jarhead!!

CHAOS27
02-08-07, 10:39 AM
Mam, thank you for the motivated story. Thanks for your service and your husband's. Semper Fidelis.

Chaos27

Quinbo
02-08-07, 10:53 PM
Incredibly humbeling and motivating story. I too would like to see a post or two on here from your and ours ... hero. Many thanks for his service.