PDA

View Full Version : A Letter of Introduction

Obelisk
11-04-06, 04:55 AM
As this is a letter of introduction I will start by introducing myself: my name is Jeremiah Young, and this is my first post on leatherneck.com. Before I posted in any of the other threads I thought it would be appropriate to tell a little bit about myself, alot more maybe than is present in my profile. I did my best to make sure I posted this in the right forum, however since I'm not a Poolee I'm still not quite sure this is the right place (I did not see any other appropriate channel though).

In any case, I'm a senior in International Studies at American University in Washington, DC, and I'm becoming more and more interested in becoming a Marine after graduation. This isn't the first time I've thought about this, but this is the first time I've approached it seriously enough to do alot of research on the subject. Now as for my reasons for wanting to become a Marine, there are many: I want to do something in the service of my country, something that I can be proud of, a genuine pride that reflects genuine accomplishment. In addition, I want to do something that will be active, something that goes beyond sitting at a desk and doing research, something that really has a direct effect on people's lives. Furthermore, I'd be lying if I didn't say that a part of me relishes the idea of indulging the aggressiveness and violence of my own nature that it has been necessary to repress in civilian life, and of far more importance to do so in the service of a noble cause.

People who know me would probably think that I would make an unlikely soldier, let alone a Marine. I'm not athletic, not very proactive, and not very disciplined. These are all strikes against me, but they are also all traits about myself that I despise. I'm not going to make excuses about them, I should have shed myself of such bad habits long ago, not having done so yet is more than likely another strike against me. But I do want to get rid of them, very badly in fact. Badly enough, maybe, to move away from everything I've ever known. At this point, I think getting rid of those bad habits might actually require getting away from everything I've ever known.

Given what I've described, what makes me think I can/should become a Marine? First of all, whenever I've read posts on this forum that dealt with the mission of the Marines and its ethos, I identify with it. I don't want to be given anything I haven't earned, I don't want to be anything but the tip of the spear, I don't want to do anything without giving it my all. But, most of all, I want my life to change. I've read people talk about how the Corps has been a life-changing experience for them, and I want that change for myself. Whenever I read about Marines dying in Iraq, I don't get sad or depressed, I get angry. Angry -- by this I mean that I get angry I'm not doing anything to help, angry that I went to college and hated it while other men went to war and fought and died on my behalf. And whenever I see/hear war protesters talking about soldiers dying in Iraq, I get angry too. I get angry because they just don't seem to get how someone can love their country so much that they are willing to kill and die for it, and how their deaths aren't really tragedies because they died doing what they loved, which is why their deaths should never be used as political tools.

But now the time is coming around when I will have to do more than just get angry, I will have to make some really hard choices. Up until now I figured that I would end up going into intelligence work as an analyst, but over the past year that has become less and less appealing to me, perhaps because I realized that being an analyst would mean being behind a desk all day, with just a few chances to go out in the field once in awhile. Now I realize that there are far more opportunities availible than just being an analyst in intel work, but I just don't feel qualified to do them. That's part of why I want to become a Marine, I don't want to look at anything and not feel qualified/confident enough to tackle it. I want to pick up the kind of skills you just can't get in the civilian world, first-hand experience of what soldiers go through and what the situation is really like on the ground. I want to be a Marine because I want to spend the rest of my life doing work that will help protect people, and being a Marine will give me the mindset and abilities that I will need to get that done.

Now, there is still one more thing I have to say. So far all I've given is alot of talk, with no action. Some of you might want to tell me to just go and talk to a recruiter right away, but unfortunately that just isn't an option for me. I'm in Beijing, China right now for a semester, which means that I'm just about as far as I can get from anyone that I can meet in person to help me start making the transformation from piece-of-**** civilian to (potential) Marine officer. Which means that the best, perhaps only, tool that I've got at my disposal right now is the Internet. I'm doing my best to read up on what it takes to be a Marine, familiarizing myself with acronyms, standards of behavior, etc., but I'm sure there will be a few things that I'll say that will just rub some people the wrong way. I apologize in advance, my life so far hasn't really given me too many opportunities to develop an appropriate disposition towards authority figures. If I ever say anything that anyone deems to be too informal, just call me on it in the nicest manner you can manage at the time (or be an *******, you've earned that right :) ), and I guarantee that I will not repeat the same mistake twice.

Signing off (for now),
Jeremiah Young
jem@fishcards.com

Hobson
11-04-06, 05:23 AM
First things first Jeremiah --

#1 Welcome to leatherneck.com the #1 sites for poolees or wannabes to come and learn about the Marine Corps and get advice from REAL Marines. You chose the right place to ask questions.

#2 This is very important, you need to read the rules in the stick on these boards that SSgt has posted for all poolees to follow. This is a Marine board, SSgt is nice enough to provide a place for poolees to chat and ask questions, this is a privelage, if you break them you will have ****ed off Marines and no one likes ****ed off Marines, especially the person that we're ****ed off at.

In reference to your post I think you have the heart to become a Marine, which is very much needed to complete MCRD or OCS whichever you choose. Your habits may be laxed now but you will change - WILL CHANGE - before you decide to enlist or you will not do well and most likely will not make it. I appreciate your thoughts for the Marines we lose in Iraq everyday and just thinking that is better than doing nothing. I'm sure I speak for all Marines when I say we appreciate you taking initiative and stepping up to plate to try and complete the challenege of a lifetime -- if you make it to bootcamp it will not be easy! No one will lie to you here, no one will bull**** you. They will tell you how it is.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

S/F.

Obelisk
11-04-06, 05:28 AM
Thanks for the welcome Hobson. As for #2, that was one of the first places I looked :D. After all, you shouldn't step into a bear's den without first wiping your feet.

devildoghopeful
11-04-06, 05:37 AM
Welcome Obelisk, this is indeed the correct forum to be posting on. The Pool(ee) Hall takes questions from Wannabe's like you and me as well as those who have already sworn in.

From your post, it would seem that you want to join for the right reasons (and I for one am impressed with the way you've expressed it). Whatever questions you have, there will always be someone here who can answer it. In fact, the odds are that someone has already asked it and you can search for it easily using the search bar near the top of the page.

I'm not athletic, not very proactive, and not very disciplined. These are all strikes against me, but they are also all traits about myself that I despise.

This is the key. I myself was in a similar condition before I came on Leatherneck.com. However, the fact that you dislike this part of you, coupled with the amount of USMC motivation that is displayed on this website...well it did wonders for me, I was pretty much a lazy slob with a mild interest for the Marine Corps before I found Leatherneck.com, now I make an effort to PT every day, often brush up on my military knowledge and work my a$$ off every day in school with the thought of the Marine Corps driving me forward - trust me, this website will change your whole state of mind and attitude. When the Marines here are done with you, you will most likely be one motivated mother-******.

Once again, welcome.

P.S. Your anger can be harnessed into motivation - example: When I first saw the video clip of the 'Westboro County Baptist Church' psychos protesting the funeral of a fallen serviceman, I went on a run to blow off steam. I ran 15.6 miles, that's about 3/5 of a marathon, it was the furthest I have ever run - simply fuelled by anger, and the motivation to join the Corps.

Hobson
11-04-06, 05:40 AM
Thanks for the welcome Hobson. As for #2, that was one of the first places I looked :D. After all, you shouldn't step into a bear's den without first wiping your feet.

Starting off on the right foot Jeremiah! Now we gotta get that other foot on the ground and get them running!

S/F

bruce wich
11-04-06, 07:58 AM
Only One Thing To Say-- If You Have The Guts To Be A Marine Then You You Will Enjoy The Glory You Will Find In Your Life When You Can Say I Am A Marine.

maverickmarine
11-04-06, 08:02 AM
I for one feel that you have the right thought process and motivation to become a Marine. I am impressed with how you have expressed yourself and I thank you for your thoughts of the Marines we have lost. I say keep doing what you're doing and learn everything you can about my Marine Corps and as soon as you return to the states, go and speak with a recruiter and let the change start to begin. The change is forever!

jinelson
11-04-06, 05:03 PM
Welcome Aboard Jeremiah! If being an officer of Marines is of interest please read the link below. It has a lot of information and the Marine that compiled and wrote it is currently a reserve Marine and student and he should be commissioned next summer. He will also help you with your questions. Good Luck and make yourself at home here.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35882

Jim

Marine84
11-04-06, 09:30 PM
Welcome aboard Jeremiah - I got one stupid question for you..............how in the sam hill did you end up in Bejing China from Virginia going to school?

You seem to have the right attitude though about the Corps. You sound a lot like me at 21 (I went in at 23 - I think I was the oldest one in my platoon) - went to work right out of high school, quit working and decided to go to college at 20, quit college at 22,worked again for a while and went in the Corps 3 months shy of my 24th birthday. I wanted the change for me and I knew the Corps would be the toughest way to get it. I had no idea at the time though what it meant to get the Title. I do now.

Obelisk
11-04-06, 10:42 PM
Welcome aboard Jeremiah - I got one stupid question for you..............how in the sam hill did you end up in Bejing China from Virginia going to school?

I wanted an adventure... I'd taken Chinese for a year and I wanted to see how far I could get with only rudimentary knowledge of the language. That's a really really stupid idea in hindsight, but I can't say there haven't been alot of fun times. My school has a program with Peking University, the top school in China, so I figured why not. I'll have to admit part of my rationale was that I wanted to see if I could handle being away from all of my friends and family for such an extended period of time (longest I'd been out of the country before was 2 weeks), turns out that was the easy part. I know some of you guys are linguists or served in Iraq or Korea, but let's just say the difficulty involved in learning Chinese is in a league of its own. Another reason why I chose China is because part of my educational focus has been on East Asia, so I wanted to see more of the region and its people. This has been a great way to do that, however it has also made me see that China in particular is not somewhere I would want to live or work, the mindset here is just so bizarre at times.

AmyG
11-04-06, 10:49 PM
If you've got the motivation, which you seem to have, then you'll be able to become a Marine. "Where there's a will, there's a way." Truer words were never spoken. Boot camp may seem impossible, but it isn't. It amazes me how some folks make it to graduation. Well, if they could do it, you sure as heck can too. Ya might want to start PT'ing your butt off, though. The better shape you're in, the easier it'll be...sorta. Boot's difficult even when you're in good shape. And hey, the Marine Corps has an intelligence field, so you can be a Marine and be in intelligence. Get busy now, because you only have a little bit of time till the semester is up and you're back in a place where you can meet up with a recruiter.

Marine84
11-05-06, 10:23 AM
OK..........makes sense. That's cool that you can do that - hell, I never got that kind of opprotunity until I joined the Corps. Spent a year in Japan and it was OK for about the first 2 months because you're doing the whole "nother country" thing and I did have a GREAT time there but...................it ain't the United States. I never could get a steak cooked right, little Japanese women coming up and grabbing a boob and saying "taksan", open sewage, coed bathrooms..................bleh! I remember when I got off the plane back in the States I bent down and kissed the concrete sidewalk at LAX - I didn't care that folks were looking at me like I was crazy as hell - I was GLAD to be HOME!