PDA

View Full Version : Service, ring helps pair cope with loss

thedrifter
11-03-06, 06:30 AM
Deseret Morning News, Friday, November 03, 2006

Service, ring helps pair cope with loss

By Stephen Speckman
Deseret Morning News

A Utah mother has found that by reaching out to Marines in Iraq, where her son was killed, she can better cope with her own loss.

Amy Galvez has organized a donation drive to help bring some Christmas cheer to about 300 Marines with the 2nd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion and the 3rd Low Altitude Air Defense Battalion.

"Doing what we can for those who give so much is an honor," said Galvez. "It is good therapy for me. It is a great way to focus my energy and leaves little time to be sad over my loss. I love doing this. It makes me happy."

On Aug. 20, Cpl. Adam Galvez, 21, Salt Lake City, died when a roadside bomb exploded under his vehicle, killing Galvez, Marine Lance Cpl. Randy L. Newman, 21, of Bend, Ore., and Navy seaman Chadwick T. Kenyon, 20, of Tucson, Ariz.

Amy Galvez and her husband, Tony, have each been coping in their own way. Tony Galvez had a one-of-a-kind Gold Star ring made, which he wears every day as a reminder of his son's sacrifice.

"It's still very hard, actually," he said. "I look at it and I remember, almost his whole life flashes.

"I think of the times," Galvez collected himself. "Gosh darnit, you think it's over. It's very, I don't know how to put it into words — it just means the world to me. This was just something I needed for me."

The ring is so unique that Galvez needed to go through several government channels, including the White House, for permission to have it made. Gold Star pins are given to families of fallen military members.

Tony Galvez also helps out his wife by handling boxes of donations that come in to three drop-off points.

Amy Galvez hopes to have all donations by Nov. 15, in time to ship care packages off for arrival by Christmas. Donations can include money, food, clothing, candy, Christmas decorations and games.

"Marines say having things to remind them of home and Christmas makes it easier for them," she said.

The main drop-off site is at the Discovery House, 449 E. 2100 South, Salt Lake City, 5:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. For more information about other drop-off locations or how to donate money, call 801-712-9189.

E-mail: sspeckman@desnews.com

Ellie