PDA

View Full Version : Platoon 1127 MCRD San Diego 1970

rlowe26
11-03-06, 06:20 AM
Gentlemen,
I would love to be able to find any and all Marines that went through Boot Camp with me.
I retired from the Marine Corps after serving 26 wonderful years.
Anyway, I do hope to hear from you.

Ron Lowe
Semper Fi

jennings1
11-07-06, 06:34 PM
Just wanting to throw a name out there to anyone that was mentions to have been at MCRD San Diego around 1969-1970 something...I do not have a platton number which seems to be a major hurdle for me solike I said any chance I get I throw out the name in hopes it will ring some bells to someone....Marty Collins is the name..thanks for any and all help.:)

capmarine
11-07-06, 09:25 PM
graduated 1970,plt 2108,oct 15.

SgtShipley
01-21-07, 10:12 PM
I was in Platoon 1089 from July to Sept/Oct. / Hotel company ITR/ Mortars at Horno tent city....next stop 3/5 Queson Valley. Semper Fi. P.S. Did you know that the movie " Tribes" was made during this time and several platoons are used in that movie. EU later, bill

Chuck Lewis
01-21-07, 11:42 PM
Gentlemen,
I would love to be able to find any and all Marines that went through Boot Camp with me.
I retired from the Marine Corps after serving 26 wonderful years.
Anyway, I do hope to hear from you.

Ron Lowe
Semper Fi

I know that I wasn't in boot camp with you (Just slightly ahead time wise), but where were some of your other assignments?

hrscowboy
01-21-07, 11:55 PM
Platoon 1066 March 69 SD MCRD

rlowe26
01-22-07, 06:10 AM
I know that I wasn't in boot camp with you (Just slightly ahead time wise), but where were some of your other assignments?

Chuck,
After ITR AND BITS, my first duty station, believe it or not, was Sea Duty aboard the USS Constellation. It was a two year duty station, but I only stayed for 6 months. I hated being a sea going belhop. From there, I went to Oki, Golf 2/4 Camp Hansen. After my tour, I rptd to Camp Lejeune, 3/6. Then after 14 months, I requested to go back to Oki. This time I was at M Co, 3/9, Camp Schwab. Man, I loved Oki! Then I went back to Camp Lejeune, where I spent 19 of 26 years. I did several Meds, a Carib, a NATO cruise from there. My last 5.5 years was at HQMC, Wash DC. This is where I retired in July 1996.
So, how long did you stick around? What were your Duty Stations?

Semper Fi,

Ron

Chuck Lewis
01-22-07, 10:23 AM
Chuck,
After ITR AND BITS, my first duty station, believe it or not, was Sea Duty aboard the USS Constellation. It was a two year duty station, but I only stayed for 6 months. I hated being a sea going belhop. From there, I went to Oki, Golf 2/4 Camp Hansen. After my tour, I rptd to Camp Lejeune, 3/6. Then after 14 months, I requested to go back to Oki. This time I was at M Co, 3/9, Camp Schwab. Man, I loved Oki! Then I went back to Camp Lejeune, where I spent 19 of 26 years. I did several Meds, a Carib, a NATO cruise from there. My last 5.5 years was at HQMC, Wash DC. This is where I retired in July 1996.
So, how long did you stick around? What were your Duty Stations?

Semper Fi,

Ron

Ron...
You were tougher than I... I fulfilled my 4 year obligation and left to take on the "Cruel Outside" world...
After ITR, I attended an "A" school in Jacksonville, FL.. This assignment, as it turns out, would be my only east coast adventure... From there it was on to the MCAS in Tustin, CA for CH-53 training in January of 1971.
In February of 1972 I left for MCAS Futema, Okinawa... Like you I enjoyed Okinawa... I spent a lot of time on the back roads, but never could blend due to height and the haircut...
I just missed the boat to tour the coast of Nam... In the next six month, I found myself cross-training with the CH-53 and by the time the next opportunty to head "In-Country" arrived, I was already armed with a case of wax and a bundle of rags and sent to chauffer dignitaries around the Far East... Japan, Taiwan, P.I. etc... It was good duty.
In February of 1973, with all of the CH-53 experience under my belt, I rotated back to California and was assigned to a Reserve squadron at El Toro to work on A-4's and OV-10's until I separated in February of 1974...
On separation, I went to school and ended up working at a Naval Base called China Lake helping to design and engineer the latest versions of Military weaponry and safety devices... This was accomplished through straight up research and developement (R&D) and reverse engineering of captured hardware from the unfriendly countries..
I retired a few years ago and now I just run occassionally, referee high school basketball, hunt, fish, and feed the cows here in Montana...
With all of your east coast assignments, are you still residing somewhere on the east side of the US?
Semper Fi, Brother!
Chuck

capmarine
01-22-07, 06:44 PM
bootcamp,ITR,BITS,Recon school,RVN,Retired

rlowe26
01-22-07, 10:09 PM
Ron...
You were tougher than I... I fulfilled my 4 year obligation and left to take on the "Cruel Outside" world...
After ITR, I attended an "A" school in Jacksonville, FL.. This assignment, as it turns out, would be my only east coast adventure... From there it was on to the MCAS in Tustin, CA for CH-53 training in January of 1971.
In February of 1972 I left for MCAS Futema, Okinawa... Like you I enjoyed Okinawa... I spent a lot of time on the back roads, but never could blend due to height and the haircut...
I just missed the boat to tour the coast of Nam... In the next six month, I found myself cross-training with the CH-53 and by the time the next opportunty to head "In-Country" arrived, I was already armed with a case of wax and a bundle of rags and sent to chauffer dignitaries around the Far East... Japan, Taiwan, P.I. etc... It was good duty.
In February of 1973, with all of the CH-53 experience under my belt, I rotated back to California and was assigned to a Reserve squadron at El Toro to work on A-4's and OV-10's until I separated in February of 1974...
On separation, I went to school and ended up working at a Naval Base called China Lake helping to design and engineer the latest versions of Military weaponry and safety devices... This was accomplished through straight up research and developement (R&D) and reverse engineering of captured hardware from the unfriendly countries..
I retired a few years ago and now I just run occassionally, referee high school basketball, hunt, fish, and feed the cows here in Montana...
With all of your east coast assignments, are you still residing somewhere on the east side of the US?
Semper Fi, Brother!
Chuck

Chuck, Trust me when I say I wished I was where you are. I would give anything in the world to get back out into the Country. I hate this place, Northern VA so much, however, I have to stay here until my wife finishes her Masters Degree at Mary Washington University. She will graduate in 2008 or 2009. Im a Network Engineer by trade, so I can get a good job anywhere, pretty much. She is a Teacher, so I know she will find a job. Anyway, congrats on your Retirement. Sounds like you are really living it up!
Oh, by the way, we were in Oki the same time. I bet you anything that we crossed eachothers path either in Naha, or Koza.

Semper Fi Chuck. Stay in Touch.

Ron

SgtShipley
02-08-07, 01:46 PM
Hello,
Did you know a guy by the name of Dave Sheppard? David Sheppard? He was a grunt and the last time I saw him was at Camp Hansen on Oki in Jan 1971. I was going thru Hansen on my way to Nam. Dave stayed on Okinawa. He was from San Fernando Valley, Calif. and was a big guy with light hair. Love to play hearts. Been looking for him for over 30+years. His home of residence was messed up by the earth quake that hit SanFernando in 1971. Appreciate your help. Semper Fi, bill shipley, Platoon 1089, 1970.

rlowe26
02-08-07, 04:45 PM
Bill,
Sorry, I did not know Dave, nor do I ever remember meeting him. I didn't get to Oki until Sept 4, 1971. I have no doubt we walked by eachother or been in one of the thousand clubs in Kinville or Koza together, but just never met. Sounds like a great guy! I hope you find him one day. Take care, and as always Semper Fi!

Ron