PDA

View Full Version : Open Contract

Hunter22
11-02-06, 01:24 PM
What I really would like to know is , how to I go about finding out if I have an open contract. I am being told by a Marine friend that since I left MEPS without a "job", that im on an open contract. I do not want to be on an open contract, I want to be Infantry. What should I do?

Jfloirendo
11-02-06, 02:06 PM
This was your first trip to MEPS? Most of the poolees I've talked to and on here always come back from MEPS open-contract. You will sit down with your recruiter at another time and you will pick out your job then. It happened to me, when I was doing the paperwork to go to MEPS he told me that I had to sign this paper saying that I'm signing to an open-contract, I went to MEPS DEPed in then a week later he had my job secured. I then signed that paper and now I have my job.

Hunter22
11-02-06, 02:26 PM
Oh alright, So I take it my recruiter just hasn't sat down with me yet to figure it out. Thanks for the input.

LoCapitano
11-02-06, 03:59 PM
Same thing happened to me... In south florida... every one goes to meps the first time and signs an open contract... You give your recruiter 3 choices that you want and he will try to make it happen....

Now one thing you have to remember is that you can only pick an MOS Field...

Infantry for instance... Its not guaranteed that you will be 0311

Wolfman07
11-02-06, 04:38 PM
A little different for me. I went to meps and told them what job i wanted and they gave it to me.

Marine84
11-02-06, 07:05 PM
hahaha - yeah, right..................

Wolfman07
11-02-06, 07:28 PM
It may sound a little too good to be true, but i guess we'll find out in the upcoming year.

Marine Shu
11-02-06, 07:29 PM
My recruiter told me that since I didn't have valid ASVAB scores (mine were over two years old), that I would go to MEPS with an open-contract until I had valid scores. I took the ASVAB at MEPS, and when we got back, I gave him my 3 choices. Within 30 minutes, he had my first choice secured.

Wolfman07
11-02-06, 07:34 PM
Yeah I went in with my ASVAB score in hand, which was an 85 so my choices for an mos were not limited.

Accord
11-02-06, 10:24 PM
Everyone signs at open contract when they first go to MEPS. This contract is nothing more than a formality to enter you into DEP. Once you actually DEP in you then sign your real contract with a guaranteed MOS field, you can sign it anytime you want after you DEP in and you sign it at your recruiters office, not at MEPS.

The only exception to this is if you're going into the reserves, in which case the process is completely different.

WJason777
11-03-06, 09:37 AM
yeah the same thing happen to me, when i got back from MEPS i picked my 3 jobs but he didnt say they were secured he just told me that i would not leave for boot camp without a MOS. Lets just hope that what i picked whitch is the 06XX fleid is what i get.

Accord
11-03-06, 06:07 PM
yeah the same thing happen to me, when i got back from MEPS i picked my 3 jobs but he didnt say they were secured he just told me that i would not leave for boot camp without a MOS. Lets just hope that what i picked whitch is the 06XX fleid is what i get.
I never picked 3 jobs and you don't have to either. I was firm but respectful and told him that I know I meet all the qualifications, I know I meet all the prerequisites, I know that other poolees from the same office have received the same contract, and therefore I will settle for nothing less. If I have to postpone my ship date or wait for a slot to open then I will be more than glad to. He told me to hang on, he made a 30 second call on his cell phone to the SNCOIC and the next morning I was signing my UZ contract.

If you know what you want, and you know that you're qualified for it, then settle for nothing less. If you want 06xx and you know that you're qualified for it, then do not settle for anything else, if there are no slots for the 06xx field, then wait for one to open.

Don't get pushed into something you don't want. Until you get on that plane to MCRDPI or MCRDSD, the ball is in your court and while it may not seem like it, your recruiter works for you and will do whatever it takes to get you on those yellow foot prints. If there are no slots open and you're firm in saying that you will wait for one to open up or not ship until one opens up, the next day a slot will magically open.