PDA

View Full Version : Weapons Info Request

taman8tor
11-01-06, 09:20 PM
Hello All,

An early happy Marine Corps birthday wish (I thinks it's 231) to all. I am a bit new to this site so please bear with me.

I am well out of the Corps for almost 30 years. I'd like to pick a couple brains from this site regarding a personal issue. Hopefully, you can share your expertise. The particulars are detailed below:

History:
In my day, we had the 45(1911A?). It was not exactly the most accurate weapon but then again, I may not have been the most accurate shot. One thing I know is it will stop a man.

Deployment:
My nephew, an Army Iraq veteran (Scout MOS) is being deployed to Afghanistan in the near future (2007). I know, I know, Army.

Primary Issue:
My concern is not all issued gizmo's (weapons) are of the first order with regard to sidearms. My nephew's primary weapon will not be a sidearm but has mentioned the issued 9mm pistol does not have enough stopping power.

Proposed Solution:
Gift a 45 or a Glock40 for this deployment.

Secondary issue:
Given the diverse weather (altitude/cold/dust/heat/wind) of Afghanistan, what weapon is the more effective? Also, I have concerns about logistics, spare parts, rounds, etc.

Gentlemen, if you are familiar with either of these weapons and environmental conditions your feedback will be appreciated and valued.

Semper Fi, Out.

Mike

greensideout
11-01-06, 09:37 PM
A Kimber 1911 A1 would be my choice.

Cpl BAJA
11-01-06, 10:13 PM
Yes, I would have to agree with that one, Awesome weapon.

mrbsox
11-02-06, 07:00 AM
from MANY moons ago, personal weapons were authorized, through the chain of command. The armory had to store it, etc, etc.

My input would definantly be the .45ACP. In that regard, I'd look into what is available in the field as far as spare parts go. While the KIMBER is awesome in reputation, it is also awesome in price. But DON'T let that be the deciding factor, your nephews life may depend on it.

My personal incilnation would be towards the Springfield Armory line. They are affordable, dependable, and parts, spare mags, etc for the standard 1911A1 series should be readily available in theater.

I have heard (from a friend doing training in Baghdad) that the Glock 40 is plentiful, so aftermarket (not standard issue) should be plentiful. Not sure about in Afganistan.

Best wishes to your nephew, and GODS SPEED !!

Terry

jinelson
11-02-06, 07:22 AM
Welcome Aboard Mike!

taman8tor
11-03-06, 09:38 AM
Thank you for sharing your insights and the welcome. I should have enough for pricing/research with a local vendor. Best regards to all. Semper Fi.

Mike

Camper51
11-03-06, 10:27 AM
I would check regulations. I believe in almost all cases that personal weapons are not allowed to be taken into combat areas. Research this prior to making what may amount to a useless purchase.

DWG
11-03-06, 10:29 AM
If you can still find them, the Chinese were making exact knockoffs of the Colt for half the price(norinco?) They were built on duplicate dies after the Colt Patent ran out and it became public. I bought a couple of these and had trigger jobs done on them for around twenty bucks(additional). Like I said, exact copies but without the Colt advertising budget and price. The pistol actually has "Colt Model1911A Copy" on the side. So far no problems, only fired on range for familiarization and fun, but for a piece that may be lost or damaged it's not too shabby, especially for a back up. I had priced beat up old Colts for over 400 bucks and got these new for under 200 ea., been four or five years though. Nothing wrong with Springfield either except the price, however the appreciation on my M1A made up for my original screaming when I wrote the check.LOL Just saw Camper reply and I think he is right about personal weapons.

greensideout
11-03-06, 06:22 PM
If you can still find them, the Chinese were making exact knockoffs of the Colt for half the price(norinco?) They were built on duplicate dies after the Colt Patent ran out and it became public. I bought a couple of these and had trigger jobs done on them for around twenty bucks(additional). Like I said, exact copies but without the Colt advertising budget and price. The pistol actually has "Colt Model1911A Copy" on the side. So far no problems, only fired on range for familiarization and fun, but for a piece that may be lost or damaged it's not too shabby, especially for a back up. I had priced beat up old Colts for over 400 bucks and got these new for under 200 ea., been four or five years though. Nothing wrong with Springfield either except the price, however the appreciation on my M1A made up for my original screaming when I wrote the check.LOL Just saw Camper reply and I think he is right about personal weapons.

NORINCO;
Watch for cracks at the forend of the slide. The castings by Norinco have some problems, thus Kimber as my choice as a defence weapon if my life depended upon it. I would not worry about the cost, I would worry about the quality.
If you can find quality at a low price let me know as I'm always looking for the same.
As for the 1911 A1 goes, I have had a few, well---a lot. Colts, Remington, Springfields and others. I have had the Colt Gold Cups to the standard GI issue. The best I ever had was a 70 series Colt right out of the box.
The most disturbing problem I ever had was a Para Ordinance compact. The magazine fell out of the pistol as I was fireing it, not something that you would want to happen when you need it most. Otherwise it was the usual, needed to open the port, re-shape the extractor or polish the ramp. After that the main thing becomes the lips on the magazines---buy GOOD magazines!
Anyway, good hunting for that right pistol for your nephew.

Semper Fi,
GSO

greensideout
11-03-06, 06:28 PM
I would check regulations. I believe in almost all cases that personal weapons are not allowed to be taken into combat areas. Research this prior to making what may amount to a useless purchase.

Hummm, personal weapons were common in my day. It was more like who didn't have one? Maybe the regs have changed. I agree, worth checking.

FistFu68
11-03-06, 07:47 PM
:evilgrin: FROM FIRST HAND SCUTTLE BUTT;A FAMILY MEMBER ATTACHED TO THE 10TH.MOUNTAIN DIV.THERE, A SPECIAL FORCES SOLDIER!GREEN-BERET, TYPE'S ARE REAL KEEN ON THE MAGNUM REASEARCH,DESERT EAGLE .357 MAG, AND ALSO THE 44 MAGNUM.THEY FEEL THE HOSTILE CLIMATE,AT SUCH ALTITUDE HAS IT'S DRAW BACK'S ON THE TIGHTER MACHINED;ABOVE MENTIONED 45'S!:beer:

greensideout
11-03-06, 08:27 PM
:evilgrin: FROM FIRST HAND SCUTTLE BUTT;A FAMILY MEMBER ATTACHED TO THE 10TH.MOUNTAIN DIV.THERE, A SPECIAL FORCES SOLDIER!GREEN-BERET, TYPE'S ARE REAL KEEN ON THE MAGNUM REASEARCH,DESERT EAGLE .357 MAG, AND ALSO THE 44 MAGNUM.THEY FEEL THE HOSTILE CLIMATE,AT SUCH ALTITUDE HAS IT'S DRAW BACK'S ON THE TIGHTER MACHINED;ABOVE MENTIONED 45'S!:beer:

Good scoop! With that being the case I would select a revolver in .357 or 44 mag. Most likely the .357 would work best because of lower recoil to stay on target and still do the job well. Nothing more reliable then a revolver.

taman8tor
11-13-06, 09:34 PM
Gents,

Again, thank you. We can close this one out.

Mike

crate78
11-14-06, 07:47 PM
I hadn't thought about a revolver, I was going to plug my Springfield mil.spec. 1911A .45. It's gone through hundreds of rounds with not one single malfunction. And since I also own a 9mm auto, in a serious firefight I'd have to go with the .45.

But, a .357 mag makes sense. This last July 4, our neighbor's kids a quarter of a mile down the road were shooting some piddling little firecrackers. I live out in the country so I can get away with this. I loaded my .45 with two magazines, a Taurus .44 Special DA revolver, my Dan Wesson .357 mag DA, and my 9mm auto. I then went out on my front deck and fired them sequentially until all were empty. By firing them that way, it was startling how much more wollop the .357 had than the rest, including the .45.

When you fire one today, another next week, etc, you don't notice it, but firing them one after the other the .357 really stood out.

My 2 cents worth.

crate