PDA

View Full Version : Problems with shipping out. . . Any thoughts?

knightsaer7th
10-31-06, 04:59 PM
Hi guys and girls, I'm one of the new poolee's that was supposed to ship out on oct. 30th, well. . . it seems I got delayed to nov. 27th. The issue was that I was calling my recruiter to know at what hotel I had to be in and at what time (about 4 days before I was suppose to ship out) but with no luck, I couldn't find anyone at the offices and he didn't answer his cellphone. I finally found him today and he told me that he lost his cell phone and that the offices were closed on the days I called. He also told me that they would not ship me out until I could do 2 pullups. I understand that this is part of the IST requirement, a part that I haven't been able to do and I was mentally preparing to expect fall into PCP since for certain reasons it's been hard for me to get in shape. But I don't know what I should do right now since I know I cant survive economically till nov. 27th.

I'm currently unemployed looking for a job, (current unemployment rate is almost 60% here that's why it's been so hard to find a job). Spending 60 dollars in gas to go PT everyday with my recruiter is killing me also, and to boot I lost my MOS he tells me I have to pick another job now. I admit that many is these issues are my fault I wont go blame my recruiter for it, he's been more than helpful. But I'm so confused I don't even know where to start (well, get a job, obviously is my first, but I'm working on that). I don't really want to quit this it's not an option. But I'll practically be on the street before nov. 27th. . .Can they really forbid my to ship out at MEPS if I dont meet the IST? Also is there a way I can ask for another opening? I know they don't guanrantee MOS's but I would like to be in the same field. . . Thanks in advance for any information guys!

Achped
10-31-06, 05:31 PM
I'm not trying to belittle you in any way, but two pullups is the easiest requirement in the book, even moreso than situps in my opinion.

Just run, run run run run, until you lose some weight, even if you don't have a pullup bar (which you can find real cheap, or just run to a public park and use one there).

Sounds like you're doing too much complaining/worrying and not enough solving.

Again, not trying to offend you, but how long did ti take you to write that?

My 1.5 mile time was at 15:40....in two months I dropped it by four and a half minutes. There is a guy here who lost 80 lbs to be able to enlist. There is no reason why you can't get two pullups...how long have you been DEP'd in?

knightsaer7th
10-31-06, 05:39 PM
Well, I was just explaining the situation, I still do my excerises, I don't quit on that, and yeah maybe I did ramble on too much about my problems, but my point was that if they can really forbid me to ship out because of that, I know that PCP is something I must struggle to avoid, but my mayor point was the 3 last questions I asked. For me pulls ups aren't easy, well in fact nothing physical for me is easy but I don't quit I PT 2 times a day with my recruiter. And like I said it's more of an economical pressure I can't afford being delayed. Ohh damn there I go rambling again. Anyway back to the point I appreciate your opinion Achped (http://member.php?u=32678), I just needed to know those last 3 questions I asked. . . Oh and by the way the short answer for your question is. . . "not long" :P

Barret
10-31-06, 05:39 PM
I'm sure you would not have wanted to go to Boot without the 2 pullups requirement out of the picture. We all know Boot Camp sucks, but i've talked to Marines that say PCP is horrible.

Also: If you follow certain pullup workout routines, (Armstrong method comes to mind) I'm sure you'll be able to go past 2 pullups before the 27th comes up. Just DON'T overexert yourself, and get hurt.

PooleeJon24
10-31-06, 07:32 PM
I guess odd things happen, but I find that really weird that you just couldn't get a hold of your recruiter. From what I heard, the week before I leave I'm going to be close contact with him. But anyways, I know what your saying with the pull-ups. My IST isn't good at all, but the pull-ups are my worse. I can usually get around 60 sit-ups and the running I usually just barely make it, I think 13 minutes last time. But for some reason the pull-ups. Sometimes I get 1 or none and then other times I can get 3. Like the first time we had a poolee function and I was embaressed to go. Anyways...just keep it up. Your recruiter will get you to where you need to be if you let him. He doesn't want to send people in that'll go straight to PCP. Let me know how things our going.

RomanNose
11-01-06, 12:29 AM
Man sounds like I'm in almost the same situation as poolee jon, except I'm not in danger of being on the streets or anything. I was suppose to leave earlier as well but was held back because of pull ups, I'm gettin there though but until then I need to find a freakin job in the meantime, so poolee jon I know how you feel, well almost anyways. Just keep working out and looking for a job until then :thumbup:

hawks
11-01-06, 12:36 AM
"I was mentally preparing to expect fall into PCP"

Why mentally prepare for PCP when you could physically prepare for success?

PooleeWill
11-01-06, 01:12 PM
"I was mentally preparing to expect fall into PCP"

as the user stated above im going to also ask this why would you want to go into boot camp unprepared (and why the negative attitude)? I mean atleast do a little running before leaving, and also start doing more pushups those will help your pullups.

Camper51
11-01-06, 02:11 PM
I was mentally preparing to expect fall into PCP

Why in the H*LL would you ever prepare to fail???????

Why not put all of that energy into preparing to PASS your PFT and everything else you will encounter in bootcamp.

PCP (Physical Conditioning Platoon) is NOT the place to spend ONE single day of your time in bootcamp. You need to get in and out ON TIME with your original platoon.

I am sure you have heard about all the horrors of boot camp drill instructors, well why would you want to spend additional time in FAT BODY platoon if you don't need to. Just remember the Drill instructors (YES, drill instructors) in PCP are there to get your butt in shape so you can join and continue with a regular platoon. That means CONSTANT PT, CONSTANT HARANGUING about getting in shape and no slack given until you are qualified to join a platoon.

Do you really WANT that? Of course you don't so stop preparing for it and prepare instead to PASS your PFT requirements from the moment you enter bootcamp...

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-01-06, 04:18 PM
I understand that it can be difficult to do the pull ups. I disagree that it is the easiest part of the IST. When I first decided to enlist I could do 100+ sit ups (we didn't do crunches back then, 80 sit ups was the goal). I could do the run in about 11:00. But I couldn't do pull ups. I had never really tried, it is something you have to learn to do. I have learned that being strong isn't always the key. I could get about 11 reps with 225 on the bench press, but was lucky to get over the bar one time on a pull up. You simply have to get your own bar and practice. They are cheap, easy to install, and will get you over the hump quickly. Once you can always get 1, you are home. Getting more is easier than getting the first one.

WanderWannabe
11-01-06, 06:00 PM
I've been DEP'd in for two weeks, and went from 3 pullups to 5. Not a huge improvement, but I still have 2 months. You can do it, but only if you want.

Now, my run time is too embarassing to mention now, so I too need work. But I'm sticking with it, and I am a lazy SOB. You can do it.

knightsaer7th
11-02-06, 09:39 AM
What I meant when I was mentally preparing myself was, that since I thought I was shipping out in a couple of days and I basically knew I couldn't do my pullups, I was like; "Oh well guess I'll fall into a PCP", well not anymore since I got delayed. I'm too stubborn to quit, that's not really the issue My IST is still horrible, and I know what u mean PooleeJon24 (member.php?u=36069) seldom times I'm able to pull off 1 or 2, more often I do none. I appreciate all the input, I really do. I gotta find out what can I do about my MOS, is there any way to at least get the field guaranteed, or do I have to pick something completely different? 0231 was the only MOS I was really interested in, I don't really know what to do about that.

gregba02
11-02-06, 05:27 PM
Well if you cant do 2 pull-ups...Its ok, but don't put yourself down. I recommend you start lifting weights...

MC88
11-02-06, 10:46 PM
There is a Poolee in my station that ships out Nov. 27 as well he's overweight and the recruiters put him on a diet just eating tuna fish right outta the can. In 2 weeks he has lost 15 pounds, he also runs every other day. Im sure you can pull through this and make it just start working out more!

Marine84
11-03-06, 02:02 PM
OK son I'm gonna break it down for you (and you REALLY sound like someone else that had this VERY same problem). I'm being REALISTIC when I tell you this, not MEAN so.................don't get your panties in a wad if I say something you don't like.

If you can't do 2 freakin pullups ain't no need for you to even worry your little head about the changing MOS thing cause you won't even make it off MCRD with the Title!

Seems like you've gotten another "break" by being postponed - this should be your wake up call to get your a$$ in gear. Why in the sam hill would you even want to go through the front gate KNOWING you're going to fail? Even if your get thrown in PCP, do you think they're going to work with you INDEFINITELY before they send you home? I don't understand!

Marine84
11-03-06, 02:12 PM
I know about PCP cause I got recycled - I missed my first timed run by 15 SECONDS.......................15 SECONDS! I was there for 9 days but it was 9 days too late for me to join back up with my original platoon. PCP time doesn't count towards graduation - you're stuck in sort of a limbo for that time. You spend EXTRA time in bootcamp because of it!

Marine84
11-08-06, 12:41 PM
Looks like I either struck a nerve or I clocked him correctly................

devildoghopeful
11-08-06, 12:54 PM
Lol, yeah Marine84, he's probably still doing pullups!

knightsaer7th
11-09-06, 06:35 PM
Lol, well I wouldn't say that exactly, I'm doing my exercises but anyway I'm staying at a friends house can't stay for long no computer or internet nemore, since I no longer have a place and I had to relinquish custody of my kid because I can no longer provide support. But hey I'm doing this for him so I'm not quitting. I find everyone's comments here useful, don't really find anything wrong in your opinion, thanks for the feedback. Needless to say it will be harder for me to read or post here on a more frequent occasion. Oops there I got typing too much again, lol. Anyway it's gonna be a rough ride for me so if you excuse me I'm going to go run now. Take care and thanks.

christine_06
11-09-06, 09:26 PM
You can actually ship to boot camp without being able to pass the IST, i did and i just graduated on November 3rd, you'll get use to the PT at boot camp and you will make improvments pretty quick while you're there too. As far as your MOS situation just look into the same job field and see what's availible, good luck.

Marine84
11-10-06, 05:41 PM
I don't think he has it in him Christine - IF he makes it to bootcamp, he'll be the FIRST one on a bus back home! Then life will have dealt him one more bad card. I don't understand man - you're old enough to procreate but you don't have the basic survival skills to do what it takes to take care of YOURSELF (you've said that you've gone from house to house and you're not working) much less the ones you bring in this world?

You REALLY think that the Corps will be your escape from all of that? You will STILL be expected to be responsible! You will STILL be expected to do the right thing for yourself AND others. What do you REALLY think you're getting into by going in the Corps? You WILL be kicked out of the Corps on your a$$ if you DON'T meet the standards that are set for you! The ONLY reason you WILL fail is if YOU don't put out the 110% it takes!

knightsaer7th
11-10-06, 05:50 PM
I simply believe that the Corps will allow me to give my son the life I didn't have, just that simple.

Camper51
11-10-06, 05:58 PM
Then you had d*mn well prepare to do your absolute best and work harder than you ever have before in your life. The Corps will allow you to do what you desire but like Marine84 said, YOU have to give it 110% because if you aren't prepared to give it your all you can't make it. Oh, and that "all" I speak of is not the physical side of it, it's the MENTAL side of it.

Most bootcamp drops are not physical, they are mental. If you can't take the stress, you take the hike.

Read K8 Mac's post on that in the poolee posts...

knightsaer7th
11-10-06, 06:07 PM
I will and again, thanks.

Marine84
11-12-06, 11:01 AM
If your son is THAT motivation for you - say his name every time you pull up! Get your caca together! Make it through bootcamp and you can automatically have money sent to him every payday! The ONLY way you will fail is if YOU F UP!

Every Marine that has ever told you that bootcamp is mainly mental isn't lieing to you! Drill Instructors lay awake at night (that's why they're so mean) just thinking of ways to pi$$ off recruits - that is their main job as DIs. Trust me, there will be times when you get so mad that all you will won't to do is turn around and frail the hell out of one. IF you do, you're gone - not because you hit one but because THEY BROKE YOU.

Whatever it is that you've been going through that has brought this situation on for you CANNOT BREAK YOU! If you want the TITLE bad enough then YOU have to give it EVERYTHING you have!

cplbrooks
11-12-06, 11:19 AM
Hi guys and girls, I'm one of the new poolee's that was supposed to ship out on oct. 30th, well. . . it seems I got delayed to nov. 27th. The issue was that I was calling my recruiter to know at what hotel I had to be in and at what time (about 4 days before I was suppose to ship out) but with no luck, I couldn't find anyone at the offices and he didn't answer his cellphone. I finally found him today and he told me that he lost his cell phone and that the offices were closed on the days I called. He also told me that they would not ship me out until I could do 2 pullups. I understand that this is part of the IST requirement, a part that I haven't been able to do and I was mentally preparing to expect fall into PCP since for certain reasons it's been hard for me to get in shape. But I don't know what I should do right now since I know I cant survive economically till nov. 27th.

I'm currently unemployed looking for a job, (current unemployment rate is almost 60% here that's why it's been so hard to find a job). Spending 60 dollars in gas to go PT everyday with my recruiter is killing me also, and to boot I lost my MOS he tells me I have to pick another job now. I admit that many is these issues are my fault I wont go blame my recruiter for it, he's been more than helpful. But I'm so confused I don't even know where to start (well, get a job, obviously is my first, but I'm working on that). I don't really want to quit this it's not an option. But I'll practically be on the street before nov. 27th. . .Can they really forbid my to ship out at MEPS if I dont meet the IST? Also is there a way I can ask for another opening? I know they don't guanrantee MOS's but I would like to be in the same field. . . Thanks in advance for any information guys!

To answer your question, yes they can not let you ship until you meet the IST minimums. You should be doing pullups 10 times a day. It should only take you a week. Once you do that then you can ship if you must go now. You may have to change MOS but if you have to ship now then do it. You dont have to PT with your recruiter. Just do it at home. Now do whatever it takes to make it happen.

Worsham
11-16-06, 01:46 PM
No one should go to the island with the expectation of going to PCP, FRP or MRP. Those are places to avoid....I didn't know anything about the latter two when I got to Parris Island...it was inconceivable to me that you could be held (against your will basically) on the island for longer than three months...

Recruits hate life in recruit training and even more so in the conditioning and rehab platoons...recruits forego pain and injuries to avoid going there...I speak from experience as I did it...

Don't make your experience suck before it starts because the drill instructors can smell "quit" on you a mile away.....

Do whatever you have to if it's that important to you....

I had to lose 40 lbs. to go and I was in the best shape I had been in for years (was the oldest in my platoon at 26) before I went to PI....but I still lost another 25 lbs. there and gave more of myself than I even knew I had....left a lot of blood, sweat and tears there....

Before you do anything..you gotta get your mind right or you won't make it...

If you think you can't do it...your body WON'T do it.

Soon2BeVIP
11-16-06, 03:00 PM
[quote=Marine84]If you can't do 2 freakin pullups ain't no need for you to even worry your little head about the changing MOS thing cause you won't even make it off MCRD with the Title![quote]
I have days when I can't get the 2 pullups and I still am going to get those up and make it through and get that title! That's what boot camp does...turns little sh**s into Marines

Drehzahl7
11-18-06, 01:51 PM
hey.. again.. not to hurt your feelings or whatever but .. bro.. what you have to do is just quite the whining.. period. i dont care what the reasons are. I am nearly broke too. i have rent to pay, i already got my car taken away. im on the same boat and i dont ship until janury 8th! all you have to do is just shut up and push harder. no excuses. doesnt matter if your excuses are valid, just shut up and push. trust me on that one. i went from like 1 pull up to 5 now.. i know its not where i want to be, but hell, at least i have the minimum covered. and about the MOS, yes, i know its scary to think you have to pick something else you were comfortable with, but thats the key word there, comfort. i have heard that in the marines, there is no such thing. i lost a very good job two times already. i was going to be a tanker, lost that, then i was going into intel, and i lost that. now i will be cleaning and fixing guns (small arms repair tech).. trust me, id much rather be in a tank blowing **** up. but you know what, i want to be a marine before anything. doesnt matter what i do for the corps, as long as i get to wear that eagle globe and anchor i will be one happy camper man. also, dont forget that as a marine, you are interchangeable. yes,. i might be cleaning guns for a while, but at any given moment the
Corps can just send me off to iraq as infantry. So just to recap, and not to offend you. SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND PUSH HARDER. and dude.. at least you still have your vehicle..

SgtHMH
11-18-06, 03:27 PM
Okay you want it, this is what you do. You run as far as you can every day and do sit ups, push ups, jumping jacks. Ask your recruiter to show you how to do mountain climbers. Keep doing push ups as much as you can all the time, watch what you eat. Don't kill your self to get there, but you will get there. There are ways to uses your body going up and down fast to do more pull ups, ask your recruiter to explain this to you. If you want something you will get it, but if you have question about it you won't. You understand what I mean ?

Sgt. Hoss

Marine84
11-18-06, 04:09 PM
I have days when I can't get the 2 pullups

He's not just having a day though - he CAN'T do it period!

knightsaer7th
11-19-06, 05:24 PM
Thanks again for you support guys. Sorry if it came off as whining my intention wasn't to whine, it was more to explain my situation. One of my faults is to talk more than necessary, lol. Anyway,believe me I've been pushing myself hard, the transition from couch potato to PTing almost everyday is not the easiest, but I'm getting there. My running has gone up from not being able to do 0.2 miles to almost 1.5 without stopping. I wasn't able to do 5 crunches before I'm up 45-50 now. The crunches are still killing me but I'll manage. In the end you guys answered my questions, so thanks a lot! Though I have to rethink a lot of things I've been through worse! Take care.

Jarhead2be
11-20-06, 04:04 PM
Hey dont worry yourself to much about it, just focus on getting in shape to pass your IST and PFT, my ship out date went from OCT.16th to OCT. 23 to OCT.30th and now its finally NOV.27th, i did the same thing I sold my car and quit my job a week before the 16th, so i know your situation. Dont let it get to you, always look toward the future not the past or present, you'll never get anywhere, be strong and motivated and go earn the title of UNITED STATES MARINE!!