PDA

View Full Version : hmm stress fractures

bigfoot1188
10-31-06, 10:54 AM
ok soo i run cross country at my school and I had the luck of getting stressfratcures it pretty much sucks..but i can take pain and i dont worry about it to much. Im kind of hoping they will go away before i ship for bootcamp. Though the thing is I need to keep running to stay in shape and some people who have had them said the only way to get rid of them is to stop running and it just depends on your legs ability to heal for how long it takes to heal..(idk if that made anysense).....anyway the real point to this is how badly will having stressfractures in my shins effect my performance in bootcamp??

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-31-06, 11:01 AM
Many, many people get sent to MRP for stress fractures. It is a risk a healthy person has when they go to boot camp. If you already have them, you will probably have some real problems.

Since you're talking about what people have told you, and not what a doctor has told you, start by going to the doctor and making sure you have what you think you have. It could be more, or less, serious. Then, follow his advice. If he tells you not to run for 8 weeks, that's what you need to do.

ahmarquis
11-06-06, 08:59 PM
Follow the Cpl's good advice and see a doctor. Then take a break. You can still keep your cardio up by swimming, using the exercise bike, or using the elliptical machine. These are all available at your local gym. I am sure that a student membership at the YMCA would not cost you that much. Being in good physical condition is important. Work on those pull-ups. If you can do 20...do 25. If you can do 25...shoot for 30.

If you only have a short period of time before you leave for bootcamp. Do nothing. If you run cross country...you will have no problem at bootcamp.

semperfiman
11-06-06, 09:07 PM
i was in mrp for 6 weeks because of a stress fracture no i didnt graduate with my original platoon so my advice to you is to stop running and stay off your bigfoot as much as possible until it heals good luck to you

AmyG
11-07-06, 08:58 AM
Definately see a doctor, and get it taken care of now. You don't want to have stress fractures at boot. We had a pick up in my platoon who was supposed to graduate in June or July, but was dropped to FRP for stress fractures. She didn't graduate till Nov, and that is way too long to spend as a Recruit. Take care of yourself now so you only have to be at Boot 3 months.

Old Marine
11-07-06, 02:50 PM
Way back when, there was no such thing as Stress Fractures, now they have recruits bringing up the rear of platoons on crutches. Maybe its because the recruits of today ride everywhere and never have to walk more than a city block. Maybe its because they are issued tennis shoes when they first get to recruit training. We had boots and boondockers and wore them in the showers and got them broke in and could walk forever in them. Oh Yea, and we had to dig our heels in and make them pop.

christine_06
11-07-06, 05:56 PM
you should go to the doctor and get them checked out and taken care of, i'm speaking from experience i just graduated from boot on the 3rd and i have a stress fracture in my lower right leg i've had it since before we did our final PFT and it'll only get worse if you don't let it get better, i never went to medical for it during boot camp and i wish i had but i didn't want to get dropped so i sucked up the pain and continued on with training and it's gotten a lot worse. make sure to strech and ice as much as you can it will help out a little but it's just going to take time to heal. good luck.