PDA

View Full Version : Bad News

hawks
10-30-06, 10:46 PM
Well, I have some horrible news that I think might have happened. Last night I was setting a new PR in my 5 mile run and then all of a sudden my leg started hurting. The pain is above my achilles tendon and right below my calf muscle, where that ends. I got really scared and went home. Iced and stretched it and popped some IBUprofen. Morning came, I got out of bed still hurt, #(*%( is what I thought. Went to my classes and it still hurt. I had to walk about 1.25 miles after one of the classes till i got home and was in just excruiating pain. Had to walk back there too and just got home about 20 minutes ago from the library, studying for 2 big midterms tomorrow, and then I felt kind of a pop and then every stride I took felt like something was stretching to far and felt like it was almost tearing. So I think I may have tore my achilles tendon, or at least damaged one of the tendons. I am seeing a doctor Wednesday about it, but for now I am putting myself on pretty much no activity. Try and take the free bus to my classes so I do not have to walk. I am pretty scared/depressed about this. I am sure if I did tear something, I definitly wouldnt be able to go to boot camp this summer, if ever, and that will kill me. I by no way diagnosing myself, but just from the info I ahve gathered it points to a slight tear, which is only a step away from a ruptured achilles tendon. I hope it will be alright and that I wont need surgery. Hopefully the doctor will tell me its just a pulled muscle and stay off it for a bit but I highly doubt that is what it is.

WanderWannabe
10-30-06, 11:06 PM
A pulled muscle hurts like hell. Get it checked out before worrying. If it was torn, you probably wouldn't be walking.

hawks
10-30-06, 11:14 PM
You can still walk with a tear in your achilles tendon, even if its ruptured you can still walk. I'm preparing for the worst, so if its better than the worst, I'll be ok I think (i.e, not a tear and just a pulled muslce)

jinelson
10-31-06, 07:25 AM
Oh wow Matt I will hope for the best for you. Try not to let it get you down and affect your mid terms. Stay moto!

Jim

jackson07
10-31-06, 07:40 AM
Good Luck

Accord
10-31-06, 11:06 AM
Don't even think about speculating or trying to diagnose what it is. My knee was absolutely KILLING me a few months ago, making all sorts of noises, I couldn't even walk on it, etc. so I went onto webmd.com and spent hours trying to give myself an examination and I determined that I tore my ACL or something horrible along those lines. I go to a doctor a few days later, they take X-rays and all sorts of stuff and find nothing, turns out it was just a bad bruise and I was good to go about 3 days later.

I'm sure your problem is going to be similar, probably just a pulled muscle or something simple like that, don't worry about it! Just take it easy until you go see the doctor.

hawks
10-31-06, 01:21 PM
I am hoping that I am overspeculating what I think it is. I really do hope it is just a pull. Im not doing any cardio or anything, even staying off the ellipitical, I have an appointment on Friday and have to drive home for it.

devildoghopeful
10-31-06, 03:46 PM
Hawks, something very similar has happened to me twice but in different circumstances. The first time, I fell about 25 feet on my face onto grassy (thank God) ground (I don't want to go into details about why, just know that it was my own stupid fault), afterward, my ankle hurt like a b**** every time I put pressure on it and especially when I went for a run. I went to a doctor and she told me I had torn a ligament in my ankle and it would
heal after a week or two if I took it easy. About a year later, I was playing soccer and the guy who I was chasing (who was in possesion of the ball) fell over. I had been sprinting and so couldn't stop and tripped over him at high speed. My ankle (the same one as before) didn't turn or anything, but it suddenly felt white-hot with pain and I literally couldn't walk for a couple of days and went to see a doctor. Guess what....torn ligament, it was normal again in about 3 weeks. Ask your doctor for ultrasound, it was the quickest way (in my situation) to find the root of the problem.

Stay Moto!
It's going to be fine!
:thumbup:

hawks
10-31-06, 06:30 PM
Just got back from the doctor, I tore a few fibers in my achilles tendon, and the top part of it where it connects to the bone. He said stay off it for a week or two and it should be fine. Lets just hope it does.

PooleeJon24
10-31-06, 08:36 PM
I guess that's somewhat good news. Not the worst case scenario. Keep us updated with how it's healing

Wolfman07
10-31-06, 09:31 PM
Could be worse man, a friend of mine tore his ACL and sprained his MCL in a football game. Its a shame the docs said its gonna take a long time to heal. This guy was going to go to school full-ride for sprinting in track and now is going to be hobbling around on crutches till Feb. :(