PDA

View Full Version : Honoring 'a true hero' Hundred say goodbye to Rockwell Marine

thedrifter
10-30-06, 07:34 PM
Honoring 'a true hero' Hundred say goodbye to Rockwell Marine
By Jessie Burchette

Salisbury Post

ROCKWELL — As a class assignment in the 10th grade at East Rowan High School, 16-year-old Nathan Ross Elrod wrote about the kind of person he wanted to be.

Elrod wrote that he wanted to be remembered as a good, nice and caring person.

He also wanted to become a U.S. Marine — and a hero.

Sunday afternoon, Elrod's family, friends, classmates, and military brothers swelled the Rockwell First Baptist Church's Family Life Center to overflowing.

They came to bury a hero.

Lance Cpl. Nathan Ross Elrod, 20, while serving his second tour of duty in Iraq, died Oct. 21, when his Humvee was hit by an improvised explosive device.

"This young man is a true hero," said the Rev. Benny Vickery, church pastor, "not just for the community and Rockwell, but he is a hero for all of the United States.

"He will live in our hearts. He will forever be young."

He read from Elrod's sophomore paper titled "My Legacy."

"I want to go into the Marines so I can be somebody. Some people say I can't. I'll show them, " he wrote.

His goal was lofty — to win the Medal of Honor.

On Sunday afternoon, Chief Warrant Officer Mark Smith, presented the family with a resolution honoring his service and a Purple Heart.

Four Marines who served with Lance Cpl. Elrod shared their feelings and memories. He was a member of the 2nd Division, 1st Battalion, 6th Marines, Weapons Company.

They talked about his quick smile that infected the platoon, his willingness to serve and never complain. They called him friend, brother and a great man.

A chief warrant officer with 20 years in the Marines said people talk about those who served in World War II as America's greatest generation.

"Today our enemy is in the shadows .... Men like Nathan are patriots. This generation is awesome," the officer said.

He went on describe their eight months in the El Anbar Province. Elrod was his machine gunner, spending his days in the turret.

"He was probably the best machine gunner I've ever served with," the officer said. "He was unbelievable."

The Marines also talked about Elrod giving candy to the children and orphans. "Nathan made a difference," said another.

The service was a mix of faith, patriotism and support for the family.

Hundreds of motorcyclists, whose members call themselves the Patriot Guard Riders, stood outside the church. They held dozens of American flags along either side of the church entrance, creating a red-white-and-blue gauntlet.

Flags were also prominent inside.

Vickery recalled Elrod in his dress blues proudly marching in with the flag after returning from his first tour of duty in Iraq. "He walked by and smiled as if to say, 'I nailed that didn't I?' "

He said Elrod had grown since joining the Marines. His handshake was firmer. He had grown from a young boy to a man.

"Nathan was the man," Vickery said.

He also shared his last conversation with Elrod before he left for his second tour in Iraq. He quoted Elrod saying, "Thank you pastor. I love you."

Speakers offered support for Elrod's parents, Tim and Teresa Elrod of Rockwell, and other family members.

"Tim wants me to tell you to hug your kids," Vickery said. He urged friends to share their stories and memories of Nathan and keep his memory alive.

A friend, Jessica Ostraska, read a poem she wrote, "Our Angel, Our Hero," lamenting the loss of their friend.

A mix of music included traditional patriotic songs — "America," "America the Beautiful" — and more contemporary music, including Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA."

Rockwell police officers, Rowan sheriff's deputies, Rockwell Fire Department and N.C. Highway Patrol troopers were on hand to assist with traffic.

After the service, friends and families laid Lance Cpl. Nathan Elrod to rest in the cemetery behind the church.

Contact Jessie Burchette at 704-797-4254 or jburchette@salisburypost.com.

Ellie

jinelson
10-30-06, 08:24 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/155000.jpg

Rest In Peace Marine