PDA

View Full Version : Spearhead Book for 5th marine division Iwo Jima

Gail Macko
10-30-06, 11:05 AM
My father fought on Iwo Jima and was a member of the 5th Marine Division. In a recent move that he and my mother made his Spearhead Book was lost. I would like to get him another. Can anyone help me on this? I know this would mean so much to my Dad. Thank you.
Gail

GySgtRet
10-30-06, 11:27 AM
Let me be the first to Welcome you Aboard the wonderful site. I found a link there isn't much in the way of direction information about the "Spearhead" that you are seeking.

http://www.jacklummus.com/Files/Files_A/5th_marine_division_Jack_Mascot.htm

I am hoping through this link you can contact the suthor for more details.

Also, as a retired Marine myself I want to thank your father for his service to our country they are the greatest generation.

Semper Fi

FistFu68
10-30-06, 12:59 PM
:usmc: MS.GAIL MACKO, I WAS IN QUANTICO THIS LAST JULY;THE SPEARHEAD DIVISION BOOK. IS FOR SALE IN HARD BACK, AT THE MARINE CORPS ASSOCIATION BOOK STORE;GIFT SHOP.IM A LIFETIME MEMBER OF THE 5TH.MARINE DIV.ASSOCIATION,HAVING PROUDLY SERVED WITH THE 26TH.MARINES IN VIETNAM.GOODLUCK~GODSPEED~SEMPER~FIDELIS :usmc:

wildgoose79
01-11-08, 01:28 AM
I have a booklet that was given to the family members of anyone that was killed or wounded on Iwo Jima. It is titled " The Spearhead" 5th Marine Division. The front cover has a photo of the flag raising. Its a softcover 9 X 12 in. booklet 48 pages. Mine i have was given from the Commanding General of the 5th Marine Div. and is for the Marine that was killed at Iwo Jima. His Sister passed it on to my Dad and then he gave it to me along with his medals. I'm in the process of trying to find out who this Marine is. I know his mothers and fathers name and his mothers maided name, but not his first name and where they lived. It would be nice to know who this Marine is and then i can maybe learn about him. Both his mother and father have since passed away. A nephew might still be alive.
I had a lead but havent follow up on it. I will begin to try again.
Has anyone else come across such a booklet? Very interesting photo's in it.

austin42793
02-03-08, 07:24 PM
wish i could help you, but i thank your father for his service.

jisand
02-27-08, 09:56 AM
Gail,

I bought the Spearhead for my father from The Battery Press:

http://www.batterypress.com/Book/index.cfm?method=searchBookresults&bcategory=0&statusID=all&CFID=1736447&CFTOKEN=5022708

Jeannie

JDD1975
03-16-08, 12:37 PM
I found where you can buy a reprint from Barns & Noble, it is about $50.00 plus shipping.
You can get an original copy, I found them doing a search under old books they run about $200.00.
My father fought at Iwo Jima, He was in the 5th Marines Division. His book was lost after he pass away, I just bought the reprint I am waiting for delivery

JDD1975:flag:

FistFu68
03-16-08, 12:51 PM
:usmc: YOU'RE GOOD TOO GO NOW,GLAD YOU FOUND YOU'RE "SPEARHEAD DIV.:usmc: UNCOMMON VALOR WAS A COMMON VIRTUE:iwo:

wildgoose79
03-18-08, 01:12 AM
The book everyone here is talking about.....Is this a hardcover and is different from the one i mentioned in my last post?
Mine is a 48 page softcover and was given to those who was injured or killed at Iwo jima.
Must be a special edition that was given out during that time after the war.
Does anyone know about the one I mentioned?

FistFu68
03-18-08, 05:40 AM
:usmc: SGT.WILDGOOSE,THE 5TH.MARINE DIVISION ASSN.P.O.BOX 1775,HARRISON,AR.72602-1775.TEL.870)391-3654.TALK TOO MR.TED OVERGARD SECRETARY 5TH.MARINE DIVISION ASSN.YOU MAY HAVE A VERY HISTORIC AND IMPORTANT BOOK.THESE OTHERS ARE NEW BOOKS AND EVERY DIV.IN THE USMC HAS ONE,1ST.2ND.3RD.4TH.5TH.6TH.DIVISIONS RESPECTFULLY.SEMPER~FI.:usmc: :iwo:

Josterhage
11-09-09, 07:00 PM
I have my grandfather's copy of "The Spearhead" originally printed by Infantry Journal Press. I have read through this book many times hoping to gather additional information about the battle for Iwo Jima. My grandfather Pfc Wilbur C. Vickers 5th Motor Transport Battalion was on Iwo Jima and like many never really talked much about what happened. Unfortunately he passed away in 1973 and as a 14 year old I had no idea what happened on that island.

I have a BS in History and not a day goes by that I do not wish he were here for just one day, as I have so many questions I would want to ask him. To all the Marines who served on Iwo Jima I want to thank each and everyone of you for you selfless service to this great nation.

If there is anyone who may have know my grandfather feel free to contact me through this forum I would love to talk with you. Sempre Fi

FistFu68
11-09-09, 07:49 PM
:usmc: If no luck here try the above addy there are are bunch of those Marines that are still alive.Contact them they can help You out S/F :usmc: :iwo:

polizei
11-09-09, 08:37 PM
I have the book from my grandfather, as well as the Spearhead Insignia. I tried about a year ago to locate another copy of the book, as well as my uncle. We both didn't have any luck, I don't think very many of the books were produced, let alone for sale.

timmer49
03-05-10, 09:42 PM
Some of the posters here are talking about the 3 volume paperback booklets produced for the men of the 5th. My dad had all three volumes. I now have 2 and my brother has 1. Vol. 1 is about the training of the division, Vol. 2 is about the battle of Iwo Jima. Vol 3 is about the occupation of Japan. When I was kid we were looking through Volume 3 (the only one I saw before my Dad died). My mom realized that one of the pictures was my dad driving a 2 1/2 ton towing a 105 off a landing craft at Sasebo. She recognized the nickname of the truck written in chalk on the side.
Anyway, this is different than the Spearhead book written by Connor. I believe Jones and Johnson were the editors of these books.

BTW, I had the honor of meeting Chuck Lindberg a few years before his death. A very nice man.

mcgee
08-26-10, 09:40 PM
I have borrowed my Grandfathers (McGee, Pfc) original Spearhead book and am looking to order my own. He was also in the same battalion during WWII, and hasn't discussed much of any of it with us, but he knows that I have become very interested in his experience recently while compiling our family history, so he loaned me his book for a short while--eye opening to say the least. I'll see him Labor day weekend for his 85th birthday, and I'll ask him if he knew your Grandfather. He had kept up with a lot of his friends from the Motor Transport since the war, but sadly, most of these great men have passed away. Hope to be able to report back to you with some good news.

I have my grandfather's copy of "The Spearhead" originally printed by Infantry Journal Press. I have read through this book many times hoping to gather additional information about the battle for Iwo Jima. My grandfather Pfc Wilbur C. Vickers 5th Motor Transport Battalion was on Iwo Jima and like many never really talked much about what happened. Unfortunately he passed away in 1973 and as a 14 year old I had no idea what happened on that island.

I have a BS in History and not a day goes by that I do not wish he were here for just one day, as I have so many questions I would want to ask him. To all the Marines who served on Iwo Jima I want to thank each and everyone of you for you selfless service to this great nation.

If there is anyone who may have know my grandfather feel free to contact me through this forum I would love to talk with you. Sempre Fi

kasobczak
02-05-11, 08:01 PM
Hi, My uncle was a Marine 5th Division, and he was killed in Iwo Jima on March 14th, 1945. I have been trying to find information about him for a long time and just found this thread. The only information that I know about his death is that he was on a recon mission and was hit by a sniper. If anyone may know how I can obtain more information about his time in the military, it would be very helpful. When my grandmother passed a few years ago, all the letters and anything from my Uncle were lost. If I am able to get a book with his name to be able to honor his memory, I would appreciate the info on how I can buy one.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-06-11, 02:48 AM
You might first try the 5th Marine Division Website. That would be a start. Drop me a private message (PM) with all the information you have, I'll see what I can dig up for you.

polizei
09-20-11, 05:13 PM
The book I was referring to is like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Spearhead-World-history-Marine-Division/dp/B0006ASGNM

I have an original copy, 1st print. These books are almost non-existant, at least in my search.

Sorry to revive such an old thread.

Howie Bernstein
01-05-13, 06:39 PM
i have the 5th marine div. book call 781344 1696 howie

Dave Smith
06-11-14, 11:08 PM
I feel akindred spirit with both you and josterhage as my dad, too, was with the 5th MarineMotor Transport Battalion. Today wouldhave been my dad’s 98th birthday and although he passed in 1975 I decided to gothrough his Spearhead book and an old photo album. Having just watched Flags of Our Fathers afew days ago on tv and seeing reference to the 28th Regiment I decided to seeif I could find out what regiment my dad had been assigned to. Dad was apparently attached to the 26th Regimentas the photo album shows a couple pictures of him in front of a truck labeled26 M.T.CO. which my dad had named “Danny Boy”. What regiment was your grandfather Raymond attached to? If he was attached to the 26th and named hisvehicle “Rita”, “Freda & Bill”, “Betty” or “Smokey” then I very likely havea picture of him. My dad somehow livedthrough the battle of Iwo Jima without being wounded or suffering any illeffects from the war in later years which really kinda surprises me even moreas the Casualty Report on page 179 shows the 26th Regiment as having been seriouslychewed up. My dad didn’t open up aboutthe war until he was on limited time and had handed me the books that I amgoing through now. I had been severelyreprimanded by my mother as a child about asking war-related questions of mydad and of my uncles so I wasn’t conditioned to ask questions when I didactually have the chance. I should havebeen more daring and asked those questions of him as an adult. I’ll have to ask him when I “see” himlater.

An openquestion to anyone. In WWII would someoneattached to a Motor Transport Battalion have hit the beach on D-Day with arifle or would they have stayed on a ship with the equipment until the beachwas secured? I’m not finding any mentionof this.

Thank allveterans for your service.

VMA121Ordnance
02-22-15, 09:07 PM
Good Evening,

My nineteen year old uncle served with Company D, 2nd Battalion, 28th Regiment, 5th Marine Division. He landed on Iwo Jima on February, 1945 and was killed on March 1, 1945. I am fortunate enough to have a copy of the Western Union telegram that was sent to my Grandparents 'signed' by A. A. Vandergrift, LtGen, Commandant of the USMC.

After the war my Grandparents received two books from our government: "The Spearhead" by Howard M. Conner (1st Edition) and "The U.S. Marines on Iwo Jima" by Capt. Raymond Henri (Dial Press 1945). Both books contain a casualty list (no dates of death indicated).

If I can assist any member here with basic info I would be happy to do so.

Bill
USMC 1965-1974
azsil2@mindspring.com