PDA

View Full Version : Project for School

SniperBoy
10-30-06, 09:33 AM
All right...I'm in a class High School, and I have a class called Career Prep and I'm doing a project on the Marines. Its basically an interview thing, and I'd appreciate if you guys would answer.

Name:

How Long in this Occupation?

How did you choose this occupation?

Does it let you live the way you prefer?

If not, why?

What rewards have you experianced?

What sacrifices have you had to make for your career?

What kind of commintment does this career require in terms of:

Education:

Energy/endurance:

Stick-to-itiveness:

If you had to do it over again, would you choose this career?

Why or why not?

Thanks for reading, I hope to hear from some people.

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-30-06, 09:50 AM
Since I'm not on active duty any longher, I really can't help you out with this. It looks like you're wanting an active duty Marine. I am sure one will answer shortly.

SniperBoy
10-30-06, 09:51 AM
I hope so...

SniperBoy
10-30-06, 11:41 AM
I asked my teacher and he said Marines not on active duty, or not in the Marines anymore will work as well. Just answer in past tense. Thanks again!

STA0311
10-30-06, 11:47 AM
So....how is it that you rate to be called SNIPERboy?

thezero
10-30-06, 11:54 AM
Ya im most likely am going to get that same project cause im in the same grade as sniperboy so if some one can send me a reply to those questions to that would be awsome

thezero
10-30-06, 11:56 AM

cause all he talks about is joinin the Corps to be a sniper while im goin to join to be an infantry officer....hopefully

SniperBoy
10-30-06, 11:59 AM
also...it was like the only Screen name they had....and i also would really want to become a sniper...

thezero
10-31-06, 09:21 AM
hey just got the same assignment if some one could send me the same form filled out that would be great. thanx in advance

Kelly18speed
10-31-06, 09:54 AM

I really don't believe this poolee understands just exactly what he's doing by assuming a name. USMC 8541 Scout/Snipers are a rare and unique group of Marines. Not only do these Marines hold this billet/MOS, they also hold a primary MOS as well.

I am not a 8541, but I had the pleasure of knowing quite a few while I was with 1st ANGLICO and I do have quite a few hours logged at the various ranges at Camp Pendelton.

Also, this poolee needs to learn how to address Marines. Not, "hey you guys"

thedrifter
10-31-06, 10:40 AM
I really don't believe this poolee understands just exactly what he's doing by assuming a name. USMC 8541 Scout/Snipers are a rare and unique group of Marines. Not only do these Marines hold this billet/MOS, they also hold a primary MOS as well.

I am not a 8541, but I had the pleasure of knowing quite a few while I was with 1st ANGLICO and I do have quite a few hours logged at the various ranges at Camp Pendelton.

Also, this poolee needs to learn how to address Marines. Not, "hey you guys"

100% Agree with You!

Ellie

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-31-06, 10:47 AM
And they both need to reread the rules and see that they are supposed to type as if they are getting ready to turn in an assignment for a grade.

Camper51
10-31-06, 10:51 AM
also...it was like the only Screen name they had....and i also would really want to become a sniper...

I can guarantee you that there are thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of other screen names that you could have chosen.

As you can tell, when you usurp the name of a respected Marine tradition, that you have not earned, you will not be appreciated by the Marines who respect that tradition. My suggestion is change your screen name to something less controversial to the Marines who respect the tradition.

IE: IF YOU HAVEN'T EARNED IT DO NOT USE IT!!!

Camper51
10-31-06, 10:52 AM
hey just got the same assignment if some one could send me the same form filled out that would be great. thanx in advance

I would suggest you get your own work done and not jump in on someone else's efforts for an easy free ride.

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-31-06, 10:58 AM
I can promise there are screen names that haven't been used.

I doubt the name idiotclownmonekey has been used. I doubt the name oilistasty has been used. I am sure the name cowmanhatelovedogcatfightmovieshow has been used. What about poolee2040556849208572921? Think that has been used?

Or how about wannabeasniperboy? That might work better, and serve both purposes of not making people mad and showing what you want to do. It would also be an exercise in following the instructions and suggestions of those that know better than you.

Kelly18speed
10-31-06, 11:05 AM
Thrash him the pit!

Kelly18speed
10-31-06, 11:07 AM
As you were! Thrash them in the pit!

PooleeJon23
10-31-06, 11:30 AM
Maybe he just likes being a sniper when he plays Halo 2 ;)

thezero
10-31-06, 11:41 AM
I would suggest you get your own work done and not jump in on someone else's efforts for an easy free ride.

ok ill respect your opinion but imnot jumping in on his work, i just asked if someone else could answer those questions and send them to me because i have the same assignment. its not taking HIS answers for my own its having someone asnwer the same questions i need to finish my assignment

STA0311
10-31-06, 12:18 PM
Ok...well I didn't respond after the "it was the only name left" because I got a little fired up and I figured it would be good not to make things worse. NOW...I was in a Sniper Platoon...and attended the SSBC at Pendleton. The 'community' has no respect for wanna-be terds that talk it and dont walk it. Apparently this young person has no understanding of the history of USMC Scout Sniping...nor does he know any, because the first thing that he would have done, is to never say a word about it. I love how all these people see the movies about Snipers, Recon, SEALs, etc...and think that they are the next one. IT ISNT LIKE THE MOVIES! Good luck on your homework...but dont come to me for any sniping info...go research and learn something first!

SniperBoy
10-31-06, 01:04 PM
I'm sorry if I affended anyone. I just want all of you to know I respect all of your opinions and that you were in the Marines or are going in, hopefully I will get to as well. It wasn't my intention to offend anyone when I chose that screen name. It was there, it was available, I wanted to register, and I obviously wasn't thinking. Just tell me how to change it and I will.

Hobson
10-31-06, 01:19 PM
It's easy you logout, click the register button and make a name.

S/F

thezero
10-31-06, 01:22 PM
ok not to offend any one but i have spent 14 out of my 16 years in a USMC environment and not once have i ever experienced or watched such hostility towards anythingeven something as frivolous as a name so either i lived with some of the best marines or some people take things to seriously and if you have a problem with my opinion then too bad. and again i mean no disrespect to any one

Hobson
10-31-06, 01:25 PM
ok not to offend any one but i have spent 14 out of my 16 years in a USMC environment and not once have i ever experienced or watched such hostility towards anythingeven something as frivolous as a name so either i lived with some of the best marines or some people take things to seriously and if you have a problem with my opinion then too bad. and again i mean no disrespect to any one

Hey Matt --

This is a MARINE CORPS BOARD you are nothing but guests here. That's all. You follow the board rules or you can leave. You obviously do not understand what it takes to EARN the right to be called a "Sniper" or a Marine.

If you have a problem with the rules then do not come on these boards.

S/F

thezero
10-31-06, 01:31 PM
Hey Matt --

This is a MARINE CORPS BOARD you are nothing but guests here. That's all. You follow the board rules or you can leave. You obviously do not understand what it takes to EARN the right to be called a "Sniper" or a Marine.

If you have a problem with the rules then do not come on these boards.

S/F

yes i know of the board rules. and i know what it takes to become a marine. i have wanted to be one since i knew what a marine was and i have looked at every military site that has to do with marines and i know what it takes so with that lets drop it and everyone can go on there merry way

SniperBoy
10-31-06, 01:34 PM
For once, I agree with thezero. I grew up around my dad and my uncle. Both were Marines in their times, and my dad was still all out Marine when he discharged, and they never had a problem (and still...

Hobson
10-31-06, 01:36 PM
yes i know of the board rules. and i know what it takes to become a marine. i have wanted to be one since i knew what a marine was and i have looked at every military site that has to do with marines and i know what it takes so with that lets drop it and everyone can go on there merry way

You know the board rules? You're breaking one in that post right now. Capitalize Marine.

thezero
10-31-06, 01:38 PM
Well I am sorry I never knew grammar counted on boards, or it was a rule, when I said I knew the rules I meant I knew the basics

thezero
10-31-06, 01:41 PM
Okay protectors of freedom, if any of you would answer the before mentioned questions and sent them to me it would be greatly apprecitated.

SniperBoy
10-31-06, 01:42 PM

Again I Agree with thezero. I've wanted to be a Marine since I could basically walk (no joke). And I also look at every site available about the Marines. It's like my only dream.

thedrifter
10-31-06, 02:16 PM
Well I am sorry I never knew grammar counted on boards, or it was a rule, when I said I knew the rules I meant I knew the basics

Again I Agree with thezero. I've wanted to be a Marine since I could basically walk (no joke). And I also look at every site available about the Marines. It's like my only dream.

Look above at Stickys and READ and Comprehend The Rules;)

It's sad when wanabee's believe they know more than a Marine

Ellie

STA0311
10-31-06, 02:22 PM
OK...I have no issue with you guys wearing Marines T-Shirts and all that gung-ho, look at me I am a Boot stuff. You did your time as a family member, so you do rate to wear a t-shirt, etc...my daughters do, and so does my wife...but you will never see my wife wearing a HOG's tooth, or my platoon shirts...she didnt earn those. That is like the idiots that walk around with ST1 shirts because they think it's cool to wear a SEAL shirt.
Your family has earned their place in the Marine Corps world...you have earned a "connection" but not a place. Stud you need to worry about becoming a Marine and obtaining a primary MOS, prior to trying already to get a secondary MOS...especially one like 8541. Or 0317...whatever the hell it is now. Before SOI I wanted to be RECON...and about a week into SOI and range runs I said Recon can kiss my a**, I need to become an 0311 first and that was hard enough at the time. It took me 6 years to get into a STA billet. Keep in mind...you need to get your priorities straight...Go in with goals and achieve them one at a time...if you go in with too high of hopes you will fail and end up blaming the Corps.
I know this is about a school project...but if you think about it, you have Family that were Marines that are probably going to be more honest about what you want to know than someone online. Try a Recruiter...they are knowledgeable and "most" are good guys!

SEMPER

Hobson
10-31-06, 04:10 PM

So you don't know the rules? You just said you did! Make up your mind! Grammar is a rule on these boards you must have not read our board rules, I advise you do as MSGT has told you do.

S/F

PerXes
10-31-06, 04:15 PM
Name:PFC Jones

About 50 feet. I have an 8 year contract, if that's what you mean, but you can be in for as long as you want, up until 63 years of age. I guess that answers that.

I chose it because I want to be a Marine, it was an easy decision.

Yes.

If not, why?

What rewards have you experienced?
Getting to be a Marine.

Blood and sweat.

Education:
Well, I have to do MCIs, if that's what you mean. If you're talking base education, you need a High School Diploma or GED for enlistment, and a Bachelors Degree for Officer.

Energy/endurance:
High.

Stick-to-itiveness:
High.

Yes.
Why or why not?
Because I want to be a Marine.

I'm not the type to give a bunch of wordy, syrupy answers, so I hope that suits you.

Marine84
10-31-06, 06:25 PM
Keep in mind - these answers would only fit if I were still in

Name: LCPL Kimberly Green

How Long in this Occupation? 4 years active, 2 inactive

How did you choose this occupation? I knew it was the toughest one to get through and I just wanted to see if I could do it

Does it let you live the way you prefer? yes

If not, why?

What rewards have you experianced? Free medical, free dental, free travel, 3 free hots and a free cot AND, as an added bonus, I get to call myself a Marine for life!

What sacrifices have you had to make for your career? my a$$ - you sacrifice it everyday that you're in - never know when you'll be called to move out.

Education: almost none

Energy/endurance: a lot

Stick-to-itiveness: a LOT

If you had to do it over again, would you choose this career? Hell yeah!

Why or why not? Cause it's the BEST thing I EVER did for myself

Marine Shu
11-01-06, 12:15 AM

I'm sorry, but it's people like you who give the rest of us poolee's a bad reputation.:mad:

ElDiablo
11-01-06, 07:27 AM
Ok...I finally changed my Screen Name. I am no longer SniperBoy, sorry for the trouble I caused, and thank you to those who answered the questions.

thezero
11-01-06, 08:18 AM
Ok thank you all for taking the time to answer the questions (for those who did).

This is my formal appology. I did not mean to offend any one by "assuming" the rules I had skimmed through. I also did not mean to offend any one who thought I definatly knew more about the Corps, which I may or may not. I have learned alot from 14 years in a USMC environment and I learned alot from my friends who were in the Corps serving under my father a 22 year retired Marine, Gunnery Sergeant. Now by appologizing I hope I have earned some if not just a little respect.

Camper51
11-01-06, 09:41 AM
Ok...I finally changed my Screen Name. I am no longer SniperBoy, sorry for the trouble I caused, and thank you to those who answered the questions.

The Devil!!!!!! It fits, lol...

ElDiablo
11-01-06, 10:33 AM
Thanks, that's why I picked it.

Kelly18speed
11-01-06, 11:36 AM
Thanks, that's why I picked it.

"You talk the talk, do you walk the walk?"

Animal Mutha, Full Metal Jacket

In the Marine Corps, you have to be able to back it up, or die trying!

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-01-06, 10:58 PM
ElDiablo, thanks for showing the people here the respect they have earned by earning The Title. I am sure things will be easier here for you because of it.

TheZero, thanks for the apology. Having grown up around a Marine you should know that many or most of the people here will not think you've earned ANYTHING until you have earned The Title of Marine. It is nothing against you, but to be respected by a Marine you have to do more than type some words.

thezero
11-02-06, 01:36 PM
No problem man, I don't mind if I have respect it just bothers me if I am Disrespected

ElDiablo
11-02-06, 01:52 PM
Yeah it's the same here. I have the ultimate respect for all of you, its just when I'm being disrespected that I get a little mad.

Cpl BAJA
11-02-06, 04:58 PM
This is for ElDiablo & TheZero.

Name:
Oscar

0341 Mortarman

4yrs

At MEPS I signed up for 0311, but when I graduated boot camp my orders stated 0341. No big deal, it was still infantry.

Yes, I learn to live within my means and I still enjoyed life.

If not, why?

What rewards have you experienced?
I received excellent training and traveled to other countries.

The biggest sacrifice was being away from family and loved ones.

What kind of commitment does this career require in terms of:

Education:
Like any career, the more you learn the more you earn. Education and learning was a constant if you wanted to get promoted and/or receive more responsibility.

Energy/endurance:
As a Marine in the infantry (or for any job in the Marine Corps) physical condition was a must. Physical Training was a daily routine.

Stick-to-itiveness:
???????????????

Yes. Just like most everyone, I couldn’t wait to till my time was over. I soon found out that in the civilian world the grass wasn’t that much greener. I have a good job now, but it doesn’t give me same honorable and rewarding feeling as did the Marine Corps.

thezero
11-02-06, 05:32 PM
Thank you alot Cpl BAJA and the rest of you for taking the time out of your day to answer a few questions that a couple of High School students (im talking on behalf of ElDiablo also) can use and pass the assignment. I believe that there have been more than enough Marines who have answered the questions so noone else has to answer unless they have to.

Master Sephiroth
11-02-06, 06:00 PM
"Sniper"boy, you should ask Shaffer to change your username.

Marine84
11-02-06, 07:04 PM
Man, a Drill Instructor is going to LOVE the hell out of the 2 of you. Both of you don't like being disrespected - that's funny as hell!

thezero
11-03-06, 07:13 AM
Hey the drill instructor will love me and ill probably **** him off alot, but i will try not to.

ElDiablo
11-03-06, 07:52 AM
Thank you to all who answered, my project is due today. I got more answers than I expected, so again thank you for answering.

jinelson
11-03-06, 07:56 AM
Good luck on your assignment I hope you get an A.

Jim

thezero
11-03-06, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the support, but to be fair the school doesn't give out A's they give out 4's. It's a stupid new grading system.

ElDiablo
11-03-06, 08:46 AM
Yeah it is kinda dumb...but anyway thanks for the support.

Hobson
11-03-06, 04:22 PM
Hey the drill instructor will love me and ill probably **** him off alot, but i will try not to.

Oh right he'll love you! You and him can go to camp fires after lights out and he'll give you your own private table in the mess hall -- Tell him to respect you!

hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahaha

*breath*

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahah

STA0311
11-03-06, 05:04 PM
Yeah...tell him you ARE going to be a Sniper too...ah what the heck, I will give you a platoon shirt to wear while you are there!

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAH

Hobson
11-03-06, 05:31 PM
Sgt maybe he should ask the Drill Instructor if he can borrow is smokey cap for PT.. Since he loves him and all.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-03-06, 07:23 PM
I just wonder how many people come here talking about wanting to be a sniper, and actually ever try. My guess is that a bunch of people enlist and start changing their mind as soon as they hit to footprints. Those that still want to do it when they hit the fleet may well change their mind once the see the crazy SOBs in STA. I'd bet maybe 1 out of 20 still wants to do it once they actually have a shot.

thezero
11-16-06, 11:09 AM
Hi again I have another project, and I'm looking to download some of the Marine commercials, but i can't find any I have used Dogpile video to get one or two videos already, but what I am looking for specifically are the commercials. So if any body knows a site I can download them could you tell me. Thanks.

jm4magic
11-16-06, 12:33 PM
You should have started a new thread. But anyways try using youtube.com

thezero
11-16-06, 01:30 PM
You should have started a new thread. But anyways try using youtube.com

Ya I know I should have but I was a little lazy, and I can't get onto youtube.com because the school's admins blocked the site so we can't access it

Soon2BeVIP
11-16-06, 03:05 PM
Ya I know I should have but I was a little lazy, and I can't get onto youtube.com because the school's admins blocked the site so we can't access it
If it's a school rule they actually enforce then by all means follow it, but if not you can go to vtunnel.com and there type in youtube.com into the and then click browse and it will let you on the website. My school does that with myspace and facebook and thats how everyone gets on.

jinelson
11-16-06, 03:22 PM
Download your commercials right here on Leatherneck!

Jim

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/downloads.php

thezero
11-18-06, 02:10 AM
Download your commercials right here on Leatherneck!

Jim

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/downloads.php

how do i do that

STA0311
11-18-06, 11:08 AM
I just wonder how many people come here talking about wanting to be a sniper, and actually ever try. My guess is that a bunch of people enlist and start changing their mind as soon as they hit to footprints. Those that still want to do it when they hit the fleet may well change their mind once the see the crazy SOBs in STA. I'd bet maybe 1 out of 20 still wants to do it once they actually have a shot.

Yeah...there are some individuals of a different breed in STA. But tose are the warriors that make the best memories!

thezero
11-20-06, 02:26 PM
how do i do that

i meant it says i dont have permission enough for me to download