PDA

View Full Version : UCMJ=Justice or admin. of discipline?

Osotogary
10-30-06, 08:24 AM
Here is a quote made by Morton Janklow, who was the assisting defense attorney at the court-martial of Staff Sergeant Matthew C. McKeon (Ribbon Creek).

"The court-martial is not designed for the administration of justice, by the way. The Uniform Code of Military Justice is not about justice; it's about the administration of discipline....etc."

I thought that the whole legal system was based, more or less, on the administration of justice. Any contributing thoughts?

Gary

greensideout
10-31-06, 06:56 PM
Here is a quote made by Morton Janklow, who was the assisting defense attorney at the court-martial of Staff Sergeant Matthew C. McKeon (Ribbon Creek).

"The court-martial is not designed for the administration of justice, by the way. The Uniform Code of Military Justice is not about justice; it's about the administration of discipline....etc."

I thought that the whole legal system was based, more or less, on the administration of justice. Any contributing thoughts?

Gary

I think that he (Morton Janklow) said it well, "it's about the administration of discipline...". If it has reached the point of a court martial, discipline will be issued in some degree unless there has been a huge mistake along the way. At that point things will be corrected but it's not likely that would happen as the military system of justice seems to work well. In blunt words, if you screw up bad enough to receive a court martial they will have your a$$!

10thzodiac
10-31-06, 07:35 PM
Second Battalion, 12<SUP>th</SUP> Marines.

It seemed like everybody was getting into trouble. Captains to privates.
<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p></O:p>
A Captain missed his ship while on float and half of his <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = ST1 /><ST1:place>Battery</ST1:place> E-5's to privates were lined up outside the Battalion Commanders office for Office Hours after that float. The Captain at the time was awaiting his Gold Oak Leafs when relieved of his command.
<O:p></O:p>
Things got so bad they instituted an Extra Military Instruction program after working hours. A “Boot Camp” to deal with disciplinary problems rather than busting everybody. I had seen Sergeants to privates in that program.
Two Corporals in my Comm. Section, both just through shipping over six years, one made E-5 then both were busted down to Lance Corporals.
Everyone was having the party of their life, I never got caught or had friends in high places when I did.

There is more I can say, but that's enough...

yellowwing
10-31-06, 08:57 PM

Gary
Its part of the whole package which we freely volunteer for the privilege to serve. The UCMJ can take our pay and freedom if we are late for work. It doesn't matter to the UCMJ if we have 3 dependents counting on our paycheck for rent and food. Because its so harsh we make damn sure that we are not late!

We can get busted for getting a bad sunburn. But we cannot imgaine any other life!

Can you imagine a Wal Mart Manager counseling a errant employee, "Uhh...Listen Chuck, you were late again this morning. We are going to have to dock your pay 2 weeks, and you will have to work an extra 40 hours without pay."

10thzodiac
10-31-06, 09:21 PM
Second Battalion, 12<SUP>th</SUP> Marines.

It seemed like everybody was getting into trouble. Captains to privates.
A Captain missed his ship while on float and half of his <ST1:place>Battery</ST1:place> E-5's to privates were lined up outside the Battalion Commanders office for Office Hours after that float. The Captain at the time was awaiting his Gold Oak Leafs when relieved of his command.
Things got so bad they instituted an Extra Military Instruction program after working hours. A “Boot Camp” to deal with disciplinary problems rather than busting everybody. I had seen Sergeants to privates in that program.
Two Corporals in my Comm. Section, both just through shipping over six years, one made E-5 then both were busted down to Lance Corporals.
Everyone was having the party of their life, I never got caught or had friends in high places when I did.

There is more I can say, but that's enough...

I forgot to mention, the Army's 173RD Airborne Brigade was stationed with us (same base-next door) and they were experiencing major disciplinary problems too.
http://st09.startlogic.com/~i7thengi/Patch%20173%20AirBg.jpg Instead of having a 'boot camp' program like us Marines, they had dump trucks bring in rock and all the naughty paratroopers had to make little ones out of the big ones. I remember them out there late at night busting rocks with sledge hammers. Better to bust than be busted http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/13.gif

Osotogary
11-01-06, 09:16 AM
Thanks a bunch for each and every vital response. I'd like to know how the JAGS felt about it all. If there are any out there.....feel free.
Gary

greensideout
11-01-06, 10:26 PM
Thanks a bunch for each and every vital response. I'd like to know how the JAGS felt about it all. If there are any out there.....feel free.
Gary

"feel free"---lol---our BS was free---the JAGS will likely want a retainer fee---be careful of what you ask for---lol.

Osotogary
11-01-06, 10:49 PM
greensideout-
Is asking the same as wishing?
What a calloused view you have of the administers of the law. LOL

greensideout
11-01-06, 11:05 PM
greensideout-
Is asking the same as wishing?
What a calloused view you have of the administers of the law. LOL

Ya think? I thought you were asking about the UCMJ.