PDA

View Full Version : Women Marines -- Haircuts at bootcamp?

Hobson
10-29-06, 06:49 PM
A friend of mine and a female poolee got in a debate on whether they would cut her hair or not when she goes to MCRD. He said that they would cut it to above shoulder length and she said because it would be hard to put up cause it's curly that they wouldnt and they would just leave it alone.

Anyone know the answer to this question??

Hobson
10-29-06, 07:06 PM
In other words, what are the hair requirements for Female recruits at bootcamp?

gunniev
10-30-06, 03:04 AM
have any young ladies out there in the tuscaloosa alabama area 35404 between 45-50.

Marine84
10-30-06, 05:04 PM
Unless it's changed too much..................your hair cannot fall below your collar - if it does, you MUST put it up (anyway you can without them bobby pins showing and it better be pretty dang cute meaning nothing loose flying around) and it cannot interfere with the wearing of any cover or you will be forced to cut it. I have curly hair too and I cut mine before I went to bootcamp - one less thing for me to worry with - it grew back. She will not have the time to futz with a curly head while she's there. My advice - cut it.

tntmondy
10-30-06, 06:50 PM
I cut mine before I went. Much simpler that way. I did let it grow out later on. Boot camp is not the place to spend alot of time on your hair, because you don't have that much time.

tessnovia
11-02-06, 02:30 PM
Back in the day they asked who wanted a haircut. Most pinned their hair up under their cover in tight buns, but some wentfor the cut. I got mine cut, the pinning took to long when you only get 3 minutes at zero dark thirty to get squared away in the morning. And the regs are still the same, not below your collar. Suck it up and cut it off! Hey its only hair!

Camper51
11-02-06, 03:55 PM
have any young ladies out there in the tuscaloosa alabama area 35404 between 45-50.

This is NOT a dating service!!! Please fill out your profile so we know you are legit...

AmyG
11-04-06, 11:03 PM
If it's unmanageable curly, like it can't be pulled nice and tight in a bun or a tight lookin' french braid, then it might be best to wack it. Me, my hair is just wavy and frizzy, but I just made it wet, globbed gel in it, put it in a tight, low sock bun, and then hairsprayed it. If it was done right, I wouldn't have to do it again for 4 or 5 days, except slick some water in it. Water helped the white flecks of dry gel to disappear.

LCplTMyers05
11-07-06, 08:03 PM
Just chop it if you have a hard time dealing with it. If you can do your hair super fast then keep it. Just make it as easy as possible to do it other wise it will become a hassle

Worsham
11-16-06, 09:53 AM
I say cut it. I did the big chop before I went to boot camp and it was a blessing! There was more than one occasion when the DIs had all the females take their sock buns out because one or more recruits hair was "unsat" i.e. fly aways.....then they would get 2 minutes to get it done.
If you've ever seen a sock bun from soup to nuts, it's no easy feat.

Let's just say, I was one of the few who was not affected by the hair games they used to play and I had more time in the mornings because I didn't have to do my hair......

outlaw3179
11-16-06, 10:48 AM
Shave that sh*t GI Jane style :)

LCplTMyers05
11-17-06, 05:16 PM
anymore you can not shave your hair. It is an unfeminine hair cut and you can get charged for it. Trust me I almost did. In boot camp in fact.

FistFu68
11-17-06, 07:20 PM
:evilgrin: WELL HOW IN THE HELL DID 'NUMBA 10,GET AWAY WITH THE CHROME DOME DEW???(LMAO):D

TeufelhundenBB
11-26-06, 01:16 PM
This is regarding the hair issue. I have really long hair and in boot camp I found it a lot easier to be able to put it up and keep it out of my face. The girls who decided to cut their hair had a much more difficult time trying to keep it out of their face without getting yelled at by the drill instructors. In boot camp, you cannot touch your hair or your face without being told to do so. I had my hair caked with jel and hairspray so it would stay out of my way and I never had to worry about it. The only time I did, was at 0200 when I was fixing it in the head (bathroom :). If you prepare ahead of time, before lights in the morning, then your hair won't be that big of a deal. Plus, you get to keep it long, so when you are on leave and liberty, you'll know what to do with it ; ) The easiest thing I found that works, is if you put your hair in a lower ponytail, braid the pony tail, wrap it around the base of the ponytail and pin it in place. With this hairstyle, it's really easy to hide bobbypins and clear ponytail holders. Anyway, hope this helps! :flag:

turkeyday53
12-20-06, 02:37 PM
Camper51 - you are way too funny!

Do whatever's easiest for you (under the guidelines, of course). Hair grows back. Ask me - I've had several bad cuts and colors and perms, but always knew it would grow back. So I didn't sweat it. Who cares...just fix it and know that it's what's inside that's important. You're young; you'll understand later. I really was your age once!

Comfort is #1. Especially when you're defending our country and fighting for what you believe in. I know you want to be feminine and pretty; who doesn't? But you are doing the most important job of anyone back here in the States. I apologize if I'm being insensitive; I don't mean to be.

I have sent numerous packages to soldiers and Marines (male and female) and they are so grateful for simple things like deodorant, antiseptic wipes, batteries, etc. - it's amazing. The things we take for granted, they bow down and thank us for. There is nothing more wonderful than hearing from one of our heroes "over there" thanking us for sending what I call "just stupid stuff...candy, coffee..." Not so stupid when you're fighting for your life in the desert and you long for a cup of coffee or a Hershey bar.

Bottom line: back to your "hair dilemma" : what's easiest? You won't have to adhere to these rules forever.

Think about the Big Picture.