PDA

View Full Version : Marine Funeral

thedrifter
10-27-06, 04:23 PM
Marine Funeral
( Air Date: 10/27/2006 )
Lance Corporal Joshua Hines is a marine who was killed in Iraq on October 15th, and Friday, he was laid to rest.

Hines was riding in a Humvee with 2 other marines when an improvised explosive device struck their vehicle, killing Hines and another marine from Evansville.

100`s came out to pay tribute to the 26-year old who leaves behind a wife and 9-week-old son.

"I`m just out here to support our soldiers. I mean, they`re fightin` for our lives and freedom," said Christine Jackson.

The wind and rain did not stop Jackson, a high school student, from paying her respects with her mother for a man they didn`t even know.

"So she could be a part of this. So she could see this. You know, this world`s her future, and I want her to be a part of this. I want her to see and know what war is about," says her Mother, Courtney.

The closeness and patriotism in this community is evident--the American flags, the names of servicemen and women on lamp posts.

So close, in fact, the manager of a Casey`s store which sits next to where the funeral took place, stood outside, flag in hand, as her district manager made the drive from Indiana to cover for her.

"So she`s in there running the store. (Reporter asks `So you could be out here?) Yes. All my employees are out here," said store manager Donna Harris.

More than 50 `Patriot Riders` stood silent, but their message was loud and strong--and the rumor that protesters would show up, stayed a rumor.

"I feel good about that. I think we need more people to support our young fellows in that," said Joe Fischer.

En route to the burial, young schoolchildren stood in front of their school. Their quiet demeanor speaks for itself.

A day of sorrow--but it`s not stopping this community from staying strong.

"Our community`s stickin` together. We love em for what they`re doing," said Christine Jackson.

"We`re proud of `em. Want `em all to come home safe," said Courtney Jackson.

The family asks memorials be made to:

The Rylie Hines Fund
C/O Casey State Bank
Casey, IL, 62420

Ellie