PDA

View Full Version : Answering the call - again

thedrifter
10-27-06, 08:29 AM
Answering the call - again
October 27,2006
Chrissy Vick
Jacksonville Daily News

Lance Cpl. Warren Peugh's lost a good friend in Iraq.

Peugh's decision to re-enlist was partially inspired by that loss.

"I felt out of respect for him I would re-enlist," said Peugh, who also turned to the Bible verse John 15:13 - "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends" - when making the decision that could send him back to Iraq.

"I feel that applies to my life," Peugh said. "There are plenty of people that have done this before me. If I was asked to (die for my country) I would do it."

Peugh was one of the more than 50 Marines and sailors who stood in front of 2nd Marine Division Headquarters and recited the Marine Corps oath in unison - words uttered early Thursday morning in the biting October air.

But the group wasn't complete. They should have totaled 508 - the number of Marines and sailors who have re-enlisted in 2nd Marine Division since Oct. 1. The missing re-enlistees were either at war or training for it.

Still, the 53 men and women spoke the same words they had when they enlisted, but a lot has changed since their boot camp days.

Most, if not all, have been deployed to Iraq. Some as many as three or four times.

And amid the most violent month of the war in Iraq this year, they pledged at least another few years to their country - and their Corps.

"(The re-enlistment) means one, that they believe in the Marine Corps and, two, that they believe in what they're doing in service to our nation," said Maj. Gen. Walter E. Gaskin, commanding general of 2nd Marine Division. "Someone has to protect that way of life and what we do.

"We're part of our nation's 911 force," Gaskin said. "All of this is part of fulfilling our mission."

Gaskin said the Marines "realize the danger that comes with combat" and that the spike in service member casualties in Iraq this month - there have been 96 - were due to the Islamic holiday Ramadan.

Sgt. Lamar Ferrell said he committed another four years for his family.

"We're fighting for the right of everyone in this country," said Ferrell, who has done one tour in Iraq. "If it's not done, not taken care of, who knows what would happen? It's for my family."

Such dedicated Marines and sailors are not hard to find, Gaskin said.

"This is a millennium generation," he said. "I don't think we'll ever have to require a draft again because the young men and women are stepping up."

The numbers bear him out.

In fiscal year 2006, 2nd Marine Division exceeded its re-enlistment goal by 134 Marines and sailors. They re-enlisted 891 first-term Marines and sailors (those just finishing their first four years) and 455 career Marines and sailors (those who are past their first re-enlistment).

"That's the highest number of Marines we've re-enlisted in 2nd Marine Division history," said Gunnery Sgt. Marcus McAllister, assistant division career planner.

"Marines have a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day that they didn't necessarily have four or five years ago. They're doing what they're trained to do."