PDA

View Full Version : Marines Receive Warm Welcome In Louisville

thedrifter
10-26-06, 11:11 AM
Marines Receive Warm Welcome In Louisville

Oct 26, 2006 10:48 AM

By Connie Leonard

(LOUISVILLE) -- At a time when public opinion polls show support for the Iraq war is dwindling, it is not a reflection of the support for American troops. That was certainly evident Wednesday when a group of marines returned to Louisville after serving in one of the war's hottest danger zones. WAVE 3's Connie Leonard reports.

The anticipation and excitement could be felt throughout Louisville International Airport Wednesday. Signs and butterflies filled the crowd waiting for 25 Marines to return home.

"We're waiting on Lance Corporal McIntire!" shouted Peggy McIntire. "He's my son!"

From proud moms to big firsts: showing off her newborn, mom Andrea Kadlub said, "She's four- and-a-half months old and she hasn't seen him yet. There have only been pictures."

For separated sweethearts, the wait was nerve wracking. "It's the longest 20, 15, 5, 3 seconds of my life, absolutely the longest ever!" said Katie Johnson, a Marine's girlfriend.

Some of the most anxious in the group were the littlest, like young Hunter Curren who perfected his flag wave for dad.

The crowd saw the Marines in the distance and yelled, "They're coming! They're Coming!"

Hunter needed a better view from the back. "Mom, can I stand up on a chair?"

Through a sea of hugs, kisses and tears, Hunter found Staff Sergeant Dwaine Curren. After telling his son he loved him, Curren told WAVE 3: "Being so secluded with the same people for almost a year, and then to come home and get a "thank you!" or "good job! that's alright."

Other hearts were reunited as well. Johnson's boyfriend Lance Corporal Bruce Busby said, "I didn't really know what to expect, but it was really nice to see everybody and have everybody yelling for us."

His girlfriend added: "It was probably just the best time, not seeing him in forever and getting a kiss; it was awesome."

Still, Hunter and his family may have been the most excited. "I love you," Hunter told his father, who replied: "I love you too! Are you ready to go fishing?"

"Yeah! We're going fishing!" Hunter screamed into the crowd.

Curren's wife, Tina, said of seeing her husband, " I just couldn't wait to get him, it's been a long time and a lot of worry."

There was plenty of worry to go around, as Echo Company of Fort Knox trained Tankers spent March through October in Fallujah, one of the most dangerous war zones.

One of Curren's other sons, Tyler said, "It feels good, he's over there defending our nation, risking his life, and it's just good that all these people, you know, care."

That included total strangers like two women traveling from Atlanta who just wanted to say thanks.

"We're real thankful that they went, and we're just glad to see them coming back," Joyce Smith said.

Her friend, Constance Overby, added: "It's very emotional and I'm proud of them."

The Battalion's Captain, Tom Montgomery, says the platoon's main mission was patrolling and clearing towns and controlling roadways to assist the Iraqi Army. He says he saw a significant improvement in Iraqi forces during his tour of duty.

Online Reporter: Connie Leonard

Online Producer: Michael Dever

Ellie