PDA

View Full Version : Marines return from Iraq

thedrifter
10-26-06, 06:47 AM
Marines return from Iraq

By SON HOANG
Union Leader Correspondent

Nashua – Hundreds of family and friends of Bravo Company filled the high school gymnasium as they waved American flags and posted signs for the returning Marines.

"I think this is the largest homecoming our city has had since World War II," Mayor Bernard Streeter told the crowd as they waited for the arrival of 130 Marine reservists traveling by bus from Westover Air Force Base in Massachusetts.

Bravo Company is comprised of Marine reservists from New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Maine and Vermont. The company is based in Londonderry.

"I'm very proud of them and they volunteered for this so they're proud of themselves," said Bravo Company Capt. Matthew Dilullo.

During their deployment, the Marines of Bravo Company spent seven months in Fallujah, Iraq, using a rail center it secured as a base of operations. There, they trained the Iraqi Security Forces, conducted daily patrols and checkpoints and engaged enemy forces. During its deployment, the company lost two Marines, Capt. John McKenna IV and Lance Cpl. Michael Glover. Both were from New York.

During the homecoming ceremony, Purple Hearts were presented to Cpl. William J. Moran, Cpl. Craig R. Sullivan and Cpl. Donald R. Weeks.

After the ceremony, family and friends made a mad dash to reunite with their loved ones.

"I'm ecstatic, I'm proud. He's gotten taller," said Judy Kearney, mother of Lance Cpl. Terence Kearney.

"I can't even put it to words. I'm just elated," said Kathleen Brown, mother of Lance Cpl. Jameson Brown.

Mark Thornton, father of Cpl. Rory Thornton, also felt overwhelmed by the whole experience. "I can't find a word to express how I feel. I feel proud," he said.

Marianne Busteed, a teacher at Nashua High School South who helped organize the homecoming ceremony, also welcomed home her son, Lance Cpl. Brad Busteed. Her students did too, making signs and baked goods.

Ellie