PDA

View Full Version : School

eipoth
10-24-06, 09:09 PM
Hi,
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o></o>
I’ve been lurking around the forums for a while and this is my first post. I recently entered into the DEP and ever since then, I’ve been having a bit of a problem with motivation. Not with the Marine Corps though. The lack of motivation is in school. I really feel like I’m not doing anything there and I’m kind of just dragging my feet. I spend most of my time reading about the Corps, and avoiding schoolwork. Did anyone else run into this kind of problem? If so, how did you get over it?
Thanks
P.S I’m a senior (extreme senioritis?) in high school, and entering into the Reserves.

Echo5November
10-24-06, 09:13 PM
keep up the lack of motovation in school and you might find yourself either in motovated summer school or repeating a motivated year of school. suck it up, do you homework, and do your best whether it sucks or not. thats what Marines do. if you wanna be one of the few, you might wanna start implying some of their ethics in school. Without that diploma, USMC is out of the question. You'll have to go next door to the army.

Brass
10-24-06, 09:24 PM
Hi,
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><O></O>
I’ve been lurking around the forums for a while and this is my first post. I recently entered into the DEP and ever since then, I’ve been having a bit of a problem with motivation. Not with the Marine Corps though. The lack of motivation is in school. I really feel like I’m not doing anything there and I’m kind of just dragging my feet. I spend most of my time reading about the Corps, and avoiding schoolwork. Did anyone else run into this kind of problem? If so, how did you get over it?

Welcome to my senior year. I felt like crap from 8 in the morning to 2:30 Pm. My day consisted of drawing on empty pages, and watching the clock. I had it easy though, my Economics teacher was a former Marine, and my Language teacher had a son who was a Marine. So there were only a few classes I actually had to do anything in. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't a screw off, I kept my grades up to a B average, but it still sucked.

Just grin and bare it. It will end soon enough. Trust me.

bigfoot1188
10-24-06, 09:26 PM
yea im kinda heading that way but thanks to playing a sport it keeps me in check. still sucks though i just wanna head out but hey i gotta do this first. just do what u gotta do man and keep strong the marine corps is somthin u cant afford to pass up.

Barret
10-24-06, 09:43 PM
You GOTTA stay motivated in school. If you drop out/fail out, you will regret it deeply. If you only do 4 years, you will find it very difficult to find a job where you don't have to say &quot;Would you...

TylerA23
10-24-06, 10:09 PM
I know the feeling man, I wish there was a fastforward button on life, and I could fastforward to High School graduation, and leave 3 days later for P.I.
I'm keeping my B average , with little effort. but stay moto,
graduation is just around the corner (or so I hear) haha.

PooleeWill
10-24-06, 10:11 PM
Don't make the mistake I did. I ended up graduating a half year late becuase of a massive screw up part on my end in junior year. Trust me having to stay longer in school is the worst feeling knowing that everyone else is moved on I am still sitting there.

Marine84
10-25-06, 07:09 PM
I'm too old to remember if I was ever in a hurry to "grow up" - take your time boys.................after a while it will all go faster than you want it to. Take one thing at a time and finish one thing at a time. High school is first.

eipoth
10-25-06, 08:26 PM
I do realize that I’m just going to have to grit my teeth and get through this bad patch. I guess I was more just wondering if other people were/are in the same situation. I don’t know why, but it helps to know that there are. Thanks again for the advice that all of you gave, and I'll keep my eyes on the prize.

ahmarquis
11-06-06, 09:22 PM
I cannot believe what I am hearing from you poolee's!?! Has high school changed that much in 6 years? Are there still organized sports? IE. Football, basketball, or baseball. Are there still pretty girls in high school? Do any of you have buddies?

All of you do me a favor and enjoy your freedom while you can. Live life to the fullest! Flirt with girls. Join a team. Party with your friends while you can. Live it up. Especially you Seniors! This is your year! Keep it legal of course if you want to eventually be a Marine, but for crying out loud, quit crying and make the most of what you got. Yeah school is boring. You know when you are shipping. You can't wait to be a Marine. Life is short. My aunt once told me "Adam, be 17 while your 17." Meaning don't be in a rush, take it slow. At the begining of my Seinor year I joined the DEP. I was set to ship a year later. I made it that way so that I could enjoy one last summer with my friends. I am sure glad that I did. You wanna know how many times I have gotten a chance to go back home in the past 6+ years....maybe 5 times.

So I guess what I am trying to tell you guys is...enjoy life. You will have enough time to be a Marine when you get there. Keep your head on straight, study, and get good grades. Don't just "get by" Marines don't do S@!* half assed. Enjoy you g/f or b/f now while you can...but dont be too serious. There is plenty of time to be serious later. Get in shape. (lift weights, run, etc.) Last but not least, make the most of your Senior year. Make some solid friends that you can myspace later in life. Well, that's all I got for ya.

Wolfman07
11-06-06, 09:45 PM
I agree with ahmarquis, I also find myself watching the clock and think "wow, I wish i was in SD right now.", but then i realize that I am senior in high school, only happens once, so i should enjoy it. That ship date is alot closer then it looks, we'll get our chance to earn the title. One of my older high school friends graduated boot camp in sept said he would have traded a Drill Instructor for that hot spainish teacher any day lol.

WanderWannabe
11-06-06, 10:36 PM
Heh. High school was the worst time in my life. You could not pay me enough money to be a kid again.

Of course, all those freedoms I love so much now are about to be packed away, never to be seen again, but still. Being a kid, especially in high school, sucks.

Obelisk
11-06-06, 11:26 PM
I hated high school too, and even after a few years in college to gain some perspective on the matter I still don't regret anything there that I did/didn't do. What you do in high school doesn't really matter, just try to get decent grades (I'm sure you've heard that millions of times already but its still true). Some people find lots of things they like to do in high school (some of the advice so far seems to have been from people who did), some don't, so if you are one of those people who hasn't found much to like about high school, just find something *outside* of school that you like to do. Your interest in the Marines is one of those things, obviously, but find something else to keep you occupied. High school is only one part of your life right now, if you can't find fulfillment there just look somewhere else. If you are religious, get involved in your religious community, if you have a hobby, find other people who share that hobby, really there are so many things you can do outside of school.

christine_06
11-07-06, 06:18 PM
i had the same problem for my senior year, but don't do what i did, just go to school every day and do your school work and if you're bored in class then just draw in your notebook or study Marine Corps knowledge and get ready for boot camp.

GySgtRet
11-07-06, 08:40 PM
If you are feeling slugish motivate yourself...!!! In most communities across this great country of ours there are thounsands of organizations that need you man power and women power. If you feel...

Wolfman07
11-07-06, 09:26 PM
I figure that I going to be in school if I like it or not so why not do the best I can and maybe make it a little less boring and take some classes that challenge me. And if I happen to be bored out of my skull one day I'll just slip in some Marine Corps history or memorize the general orders.