PDA

View Full Version : XO: Motivation key to riverine duty

thedrifter
10-24-06, 02:08 PM
October 30, 2006
XO: Motivation key to riverine duty

By Andrew Scutro

Getting a riverine billet takes luck. Some sailors volunteer, some are hand-picked because of their skills. Others just get the orders to Little Creek, Va., without knowing what it all means.

And in the end, it’s not that many people. One riverine squadron of 225 equals roughly the manning for a frigate.

It’s male-only for now, and all must be second-class swimmers with secret clearances. A sailor needs strong performance evaluations and must be free of any nonjudicial punishment for the past 24 months.

They need good physical fitness scores, and they need motivation.

According to Lt. Cmdr. Mike Egan, executive officer of Riverine Squadron 1, only a motivated sailor will make it through training, which includes Marine infantry school.

“When I say come motivated, I really do mean that,” he said.

Cmdr. Jonathan Vanscoy is the head of the surface assignments branch at Navy Personnel Command in Millington, Tenn. His shop is filling the billets in the riverine units.

He said filling the first squadron last fall was a unique experience. But plenty of sailors were eager to get in on the action.

“We had to make some close turns,” he said, referring to orders that were cut quickly because of the rapid stand-up of the unit. “We had quite a bit of interest. People just want to do this stuff. They’re gung-ho.”

Vanscoy said interested sailors need to call their detailers — today. And if there aren’t any spots now, stand by.

“If we’re full one squadron, I’ll keep your name in a hat. If you’re qualified, we’ll try to find you a spot,” he said. “I don’t think we’re turning anybody away.”

Vanscoy also wants sailors to know that a forward-leaning sailor who takes a riverine assignment will improve his résumé.

“This is not going to hurt you,” he said.

It’s not clear yet whether a riverine assignment will be closed loop, with sailors staying through successive tours, Vanscoy said.

But sailors can work toward the new expeditionary warfare qualification pin.

The riverines say they’re too busy training now to study for the new qual, but they’re looking forward to it. Egan thinks the first guys who get pinned will be in Iraq by then.

“For the junior guys, it will enable them to get that warfare pin, and it’s a warfare pin in exactly what they’re doing,” he said.

Gunner’s Mate 2nd Class Jeremiah Ketels came from the amphibious transport dock Ponce.

He used to stand watch in the ship’s magazine. Now, he’s a boat coxswain.

He re-enlisted because of the riverine assignment.

“I didn’t have a clue what I was getting into, but now I’m here,” he said, standing watch on a bank of the Cape Fear River. “I really like it.”

As crewman on a small boat, he has cross-trained to drive, shoot and maintain, not just be a gunner’s mate.

“Instead of just working within my rate, I have to learn everything.”

Ellie