PDA

View Full Version : It’s best to retire at the top of your game

thedrifter
10-24-06, 02:02 PM
It’s best to retire at the top of your game

By Karl Nugent
The Marine Corps Times

My fellow Marines, the time has come for me to close another chapter of my life — writing for Marine Corps Times.

Being a Marine is like being a professional athlete. The best retire at the top of their game and save their fans from watching the effects of age on the human mind and body. But there are others who press on because the sport becomes their life and identity; one without the other ceases to exist.

In the end, reality sets in, and someone confirms what you should already know: Get out of the way and let the newer, younger and more capable carry on the mission.

Those who linger live on the memories of their youth. I was guilty of this, as well. Then, a Marine leader, for whom I have a great deal of respect, said, “It is not how you run the race that matters, it’s how you finish.”

I did what I have always done — reflect. Then, I went to admin and requested the earliest retirement date that would let me retire as a master gunnery sergeant. That was selfish, I know.

I began writing for Marine Corps Times in October 1997. I was a company gunnery sergeant with 2nd Battalion, 7th Marines. I was grateful to have this opportunity to share my personal opinions with my fellow Marines. Writing for Marine Corps Times has enabled me to pass on what my mentor taught me about leadership. I was able to share my professional experiences as a Marine and heal through sharing some personal experiences. I thank Marine Corps Times for these opportunities.

What made writing for the newspaper easiest was the feedback, both positive and negative, I received from Marines who took the time to respond to something I wrote. Many times, I have had to limit my thoughts to a 750-word essay. Because of that, I made myself a promise. Any Marine who took time to send me an e-mail deserved a thoughtful response, not just a “thanks.” I have shared many e-mail exchanges, and it is my hope that those exchanges never ended until we both understood the other’s point of view. It is important for leathernecks to exchange ideas and opinions about being Marines.

Over the course of my 26-year career in the infantry, I traveled from Australia to Alaska, from California to the Middle East, from South Africa to Germany, and into the vast deserts in between. Of all my travels, memories of walking Thailand’s rice paddies and mountains are the most vivid. I am sure that has something to do with all of the books I have read about Vietnam and fellow Marines’ experiences there.

I have shared the most challenging experiences of my life — becoming a Winter and Summer Mountain Leader in Bridgeport, Calif.; a martial-arts instructor and martial-arts instructor-trainer at Quantico, Va.; and a detachment commander with the Marine security guard program. And, finally, I shared my experiences while deployed in a combat environment. I have also shared my leadership and training experiences. I did this in the hope that it might help just one Marine avoid the mistakes I have made in my career.

After more reflection about my relationship with Marine Corps Times, I have decided to close this chapter, as well. I find myself trying to find creative ways to say the same things I have been saying for nine years about leadership, honor, courage and commitment.

If you haven’t got out of my essays that being a Marine is something I am, not something I do, I have failed miserably. My last opinion about being a Marine is this: The definition of a Marine hasn’t changed, only the people who wear the title have.

To all Marines, old and new, Semper Fidelis, God bless and good luck.

The writer, a master gunnery sergeant, is assigned to the Tactical Training Exercise Control Group at the Marine Air Ground Combat Center in Twentynine Palms, Calif. He has served 26 years in the Marine Corps.