PDA

View Full Version : Benefit honors fallen Marines

thedrifter
10-24-06, 06:22 AM
Benefit honors fallen Marines
John Lucente, deceased, awarded Bronze Star

By Soumitro Sen, soumitros@theunion.com
October 24, 2006

Kristine Mason was at a loss for words as she looked around the crowded clubhouse at the Lake of the Pines Monday afternoon. Nearly a year ago, her son, Lance Cpl. John A. "J.T." Lucente, had died in Iraq.

A golf tournament earlier in the day had been arranged by Shawn Mason, Lucente's stepfather, to benefit families of fallen United States Marines. The day culminated with the Masons being presented the Bronze Star for Lucente's valor by members of the Marine Corps.

"I'm overwhelmed by the way the community has come together, not only to honor my son, but also other fallen Marines," Kristine Mason said. "His colleagues are here. His leaders are here. They are here for him."

Lucente, 19, was killed during an ambush on Nov. 16, 2005. But before he was hit, Lucente saved a fellow Marine who had been shot through the legs, pulling him from a foxhole to safety.

hawn Mason estimated Monday's event, which included 144 golfers, raised $7,500 through entry fees, raffles and a silent auction.

"It's a gut-wrenching feeling that is going on," Kristine said. "It is tough. But it is tougher knowing that I won't be able to give him a hug again."

A few hundred community members, friends and well-wishers attended the event to honor the fallen hero. Also present were Sen. Sam Aanestad, R-Grass Valley; Rep. John Doolittle, R-Roseville; and Nevada County District 2 Supervisor Sue Horne. All three lauded Lucente's sacrifice and feted the Masons with plaques.

First Sgt. Phillip Orellano, Lucente's senior officer, was present at the occasion with two of his colleagues.

"It's emotional," Orellano said. "These Marines are close to me. I see them every day, take care of their welfare, whatever problems they have ... so it's emotional."

Orellano remembered Lucente as " a good kid - steadfast, a good leader" who would sometimes be "very quiet and shy."

"I would not miss this event for anything in the world," Orellano said. "He was one of my Marines, and I care for all of my Marines."

Lance Cpl. Joshua Mooi, Lucente's colleague, said they had become a family.

"Just from the sidelines, you'll never be able to understand what it is to be with someone and then to lose him," Mooi said. "It is the same as it is with his parents. If you lose a son, or a brother, or a sister, it's a part of your life that you will never be able to get back."

But for Marines - like Lance Cpl. Justin Mayfield, another of Lucente's colleagues - the death of a friend is not the end of the road.

"It's tough, but you just have to mourn your losses and then carry on," Mayfield said. "I am glad he is getting recognized. I certainly think he deserves a lot more."

The Bronze Star medal is the fourth-highest award given to a member of the U.S. Armed Forces for bravery, heroism or meritorious service. Lucente's star bears a "V" symbol, which stands for valor in combat.

"People are here because John died for his country and for them," Kristine Mason said, with glistening eyes. "All this is like keeping him alive in a roundabout way and letting people know how much he's alive in our hearts today."

To contact Staff Writer Soumitro Sen, e-mail soumitros@theunion.com or call 477-4229.

Two who have died

Two Nevada County servicemen, both members of the United States Marine Corps, have been killed in the fighting in Iraq.

The first was Lance Cpl. Adam J. Strain, 20, of Smartville. Strain was killed by small arms fire in Ar Ramadi on Aug. 3, 2005. He was posthumously awarded a Purple Heart.

Lance Cpl. John A. "J.T." Lucente, 19, of Lake of the Pines, was killed during an ambush on Nov. 16, 2005, while trying to protect the border with Syria. Before he was hit, Lucente pulled to safety a fellow Marine who had been shot through the legs. On Monday, he was posthumously awarded a Bronze Star for valor.

- The Union staff

Ellie