PDA

View Full Version : Proper procedure

Osotogary
10-23-06, 03:16 PM
This question is based on the Poolie Section topic : Army OFFICER just enlisted at my recruiting station.

What is the correct procedure for greeting an identifiable Officer of another Branch when he or she enters into a Marine Corps Recruiting Office? Do all hands come to attention? Are there any other military courtesies mandated? What if said Officer is not uniform? Is he or she then treated as "just another joe? What about awards and decorations accumulated from another Branch? Can they be worn on a Marine Corps Uniform after the Officer/Recruit completes Enlisted Boot Camp?
Thanks for your responses in advance.
Gary
Note: Maybe I should have shifted this question over to the Poolie Section. The questions do seem generic, not necessarily related to Poolie information. I guess hind sight is 20-20. My apologies.

hrscowboy
10-23-06, 03:46 PM
well gary i dont know about today but back in my day we had a sgt from the Army that got out of the army and enlisted in the Marine Corps, he had only been out of the army 4 months when he did this and when he graduated from bootcamp with us he held the rank of Corporal and was allowed to wear the ribbons he had earned during his tour of the army. he could not wear the combat infantry badge that the army had awarded him but he could wear the combat action ribbon that the Marine Corps issues. this guy had already seen a tour in vietnam in 1968. and if an officer from any service comes into any office of The Marine Corps you better snap too.. least ways thats the way it was back in my days...

Echo5November
10-23-06, 05:19 PM
why would an officer turn around and enlist?

Marine84
10-23-06, 07:07 PM
ego problem...................nah, I don't know - I think somebody was blowing smoke up that kid's rear. Does seem kind of weird though, don't it?

ggyoung
10-24-06, 12:44 PM
I have a friend who was in the Army for 6 years, came into the Marines for 4 years. He was a pro. E-3. He did not want to be Cpl. Evertime he was to get promoted to Cpl. he would get drunk and not come back to base for 2 or 3 days. He then went back in the Army and retired as a SFC.One thing he knew well was the old M-55 8 inch howitzer. I was his section chief and he was teaching me. I will always remember him as one of the best Marines I served with.