PDA

View Full Version : Making the DEP better!

MarineArtillery
10-22-06, 04:37 PM
I am currently a recruiter and I have asked all my poolee's about what can we do to make the DEP better for them. I'm just curious as to what you would say since your answers are from all over America, not just my RSS. My point is I want to make the DEP experience as best as possible for all poolee's and any input, good or bad would be greatly appreciated!!!

Semper Fi!!!

SSgt. Brown
RS Sacramento
RSS Roseville

Kildars
10-22-06, 04:46 PM
Just be honest and don't push the envelope. Just don't be a salesman, the people who truely want to be Marines will come through.

jackson07
10-22-06, 05:15 PM
Care as much about your Poolees as you did when you were trying to recruit them. Many recruiters stop after they get you in.

Accord
10-22-06, 05:50 PM
Have poolee meetings every weekend! We used to do them every weekend but now we're only doing them once a month.

Poskew
10-22-06, 05:53 PM
Put them on a workout plan.

WJason777
10-22-06, 06:17 PM
Dont procrastinate about doing things like changing are ship dates and contract when you ask you to do.

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-22-06, 09:20 PM
Not a poolee, but I'll throw in my two cents.

The recruiters at my substation played favorites. When I first dep'ed in, they just talked to us once a week and then at the monthly poolee function. But, once they decided they liked you, things changed. Before long I was invited to play basketball at the local Air Force base and other stuff like that. Being around Marines more often served to really motivate me. I would like to see recruiters take that time with all of their poolees. Inviting them to PT with the Marines once or twice a week would be great. Spending some time at pool functions teaching them about Marine subjects and not just going on a PT run is good as well.

PooleeJon23
10-22-06, 09:36 PM
I wouldn't really change anything about my RSS. It's pretty much exactly what I like, but at mini bootcamp I saw a bunch of RSS's I woudn't want to be in. Like after we ran a 5k and we got back and we had people handing us fruit and water and there were vets to talk to us, but there were other RSS's that were having all their kids go straight to doing push-ups. I mean I know being in DEP isn't about comfort, but are recruiters were at least encouraging and then let us know what we need to work on. I dunno basically what I like about my RSS is that when it's time I listen and do exactly what my recruiter says and don't talk back at all, but when it's not time for that he's a cool and funny person to just hang around the office. I never thought I'd call out of my own free will just to see what was up, or if I could just stop in the office and maybe work out. I don't know if I wrote my response right...it's not about being babied whatsoever...the whole reason I'm upping my stats right now is because of how hard he is during workouts...it's just he doesn't take it too far. As he says to us all the time "I'm not a DI and I'm not going to pretend to be. You can get that in boot camp. I'm here to help you get ready."...MY RSS OWNS ALL OTHERS

Achped
10-22-06, 09:36 PM
Dang, I guess I got real lucky at my RS.

We have PT tues and thurs nights, and our turn out is...well everyone DEP'd in already.

I guess my recruiters are doing an ok job :)

Brass
10-24-06, 08:52 PM
We have monthly meetings where the Sgt.s from my RSS and surrounding RSS's teach classes on things like drill movements (simple steps, left right about etc.) or instructions on the M16 and just things like that. Usually hit up some flag football or volley ball or what ever team sport is picked for that month. When ever any local poolle gets back as a Marine, they have then hang around for a few days to answer questions and what not. Workout meetings once a week but they aren't really busy and you can drop in anytime. I go in there more often when I have some time to kill. Just hang out and shoot the ****.

Just be friendly and inviting. There isn't any kind of REAL structure other than on the monthly meetings (runs, pushups) every other day it's more like a hang out spot (for lack of a better term).

One thing that really felt good to hear when Ssgt. Favinger said that basically that recruit station was my ''Home away from Home''. If there is any problems with family or what ever give him or anyone else here a call 24-7 or if you need to talk about something, don't hesitate.

proachbass91
10-25-06, 06:35 PM
One thing ive noticed at my RSS and another one when I was back home, is that the out of shape poolee's who have never worked out before, are told to go run and do this and that, but alot of them dont know where to start. Having a recruiter workout with them in the begining till they got started and knew what they were doing would help those individuals alot.

PooleeWill
10-25-06, 07:04 PM
We have poolee functions every wednesday at 5pm which usually consists of either house of pain, football, or running. Also once a month on saturdays we have a function too which usually is different things like going to the reserve center. Last month we had a cookout which was some good eating, of course we had to earn it first ;) by running that is.

Poskew
10-26-06, 06:50 PM
Your lucky Brass I dont feel like I can turn to my recruiter at all. When I spoke about a family problem that held me back from seeing her that day she told me it was bull****. I told her the family problem was more important. Oh well.

Accord
10-26-06, 07:04 PM
Your lucky Brass I dont feel like I can turn to my recruiter at all. When I spoke about a family problem that held me back from seeing her that day she told me it was bull****. I told her the family problem was more important. Oh well.
Are you in DEP yet? If not, then get a new recruiter!

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-26-06, 08:29 PM
Poskew, no offense but I can understand her point of view. The Marine Corps has to come first to Marines, and sometimes it is hard for Marines to understand why it isn't that way for other people. There have been countless Marines miss funerals, children being born, and other major events simply because the Marine Corps had to come first.

jcannedy
10-27-06, 09:40 AM
When you guys have poolee functions dont stand there and count repetitions or be lazy, pt with them and be motivating and make them push their selves. Quiz them on Marine Corps rank structure and other things that are important. Let them know that they will hate bootcamp when they get there but after the first couple of weeks they will be used to it. Let them know that they could be hazed at somepoint in their career. Just be truthful about everything. The Marine Corps isnt going to be an easy job and you should let them know that. Also you should have poolee functions at least weekly, have barbeques occasionally and do activities that they think would be fun, but at the same time safe. Check in on their progress reports and report cards and if they are having trouble in certain classes, help them. Try not to motivate them too much because if you do that they will feel like they are already in the Marine Corps and that will only hurt them when they get to boot. Umm make sure they keep their appearance clean cut and that they are not slobs and breaking out, that will hurt them when they get to boot also. Just prepare them for bootcamp and help them finish highschool because in order to go, you must have a diploma. Get something cool for the office like an Xbox or something so it gives them something to do when yall are just sitting around the office. Let them know that the Marine Corps is very competitive. Its a race to see who gets the best time in the 3 mile on a pft or its competition to see who is going to pick up cpl and be a teamleader. Whoever is more competitive and wants it more will get the better time or be that teamleader I was talking about. Explain to them not to break the chain of command, there is alot more I could write but Im about to go run so just prepare them for boot.

Kildars
10-28-06, 02:27 PM
When you guys have poolee functions dont stand there and count repetitions or be lazy(that is hazing), pt with them and be motivating and make them push their selves.

When you go to boot camp make sure you tell your drill instructor to get down on the deck on do pushups with you, so he doesnt break hazing rules!

jcannedy
10-28-06, 05:02 PM
Kildars shut the **** up. I dont consider it to be hazing in any way shape or form. In another topic I stated that I didnt consider it to be and I corrected myself by stating that I wrote it wrong. You sound like you think you are already a Marine the way you try to correct other poolee's, You must be the sergeant major of the dep program huh faggot. Quit being so moto pussy you arent a Marine so mind your own business and if you intend on correcting people do your research and make sure they havent corrected themselves already.

Kildars
10-28-06, 05:05 PM
Kildars shut the **** up. I dont consider it to be hazing in any way shape or form. In another topic I stated that I didnt consider it to be and I corrected myself by stating that I wrote it wrong. You sound like you think you are already a Marine the way you try to correct other poolee's, You must be the sergeant major of the dep program huh faggot. Quit being so moto pussy you arent a Marine so mind your own business and if you intend on correcting people do your research and make sure they havent corrected themselves already.

I hope you enjoy your perma ban because that's what you're going to get when Jinelson reads this. I don't think I'm a Marine -- no matter what you said in the other post you said what you said here, and i was just pointing out the flaw.

Anyways -- I hope the Marine Corps fixes your obvious attitude issues and you've already been banned once and that did not teach you -- so we'll see what Jinelson does.

Hope you have a good day.

jcannedy
10-28-06, 05:33 PM
Jnelson has every right to ban me, I am a guest on this forum and nothing more. Yes, I have been banned before, it was for talking back to a Marine in which I have apologized for. Are you a Marine Kildars? No. I know that I should respect other poolees and I understand that, but when I see you correcting me as if you were above me in some way shape or form it ****es me off kildars.

When you go to boot camp make sure you tell your drill instructor to get down on the deck on do pushups with you, so he doesnt break hazing rules!

Kildars after I entered the first post and read it I somehow knew you would jump right in and correct me.

The poolee hall is a place for poolees to mingle and ask questions. Get tips from your fellow poolees before you head to boot camp. NOT get talked to by a fellow poolee as if you were an idiot.

MC88
10-28-06, 05:40 PM
We have meetings every wednesday and required to call are recruiters every tuesday or everday just to check in. Also in November we are going to play football against another station should be exciting!

Kildars
10-28-06, 05:52 PM
Jnelson has every right to ban me, I am a guest on this forum and nothing more. Yes, I have been banned before, it was for talking back to a Marine in which I have apologized for. Are you a Marine Kildars? No. I know that I should respect other poolees and I understand that, but when I see you correcting me as if you were above me in some way shape or form it ****es me off kildars.

I correct people when they are wrong like I'm going to do right now, I'm sorry it makes you mad -- maybe you should post respectfully and express your anger. That is possible instead of sounding like a child and flaming.

Rule Five be courteous at all times with your peers and especially with Marines, if you verbally attack someone you will be dealt with severely and disrespect to a Marine will not be tolerated!

Kildars after I entered the first post and read it I somehow knew you would jump right in and correct me.

The poolee hall is a place for poolees to mingle and ask questions. Get tips from your fellow poolees before you head to boot camp. NOT get talked to by a fellow poolee as if you were an idiot.

When you say idiotic things -- I will point you out as an idiot. If you don't have thick skin for that you should really grow some.

jcannedy
10-28-06, 06:03 PM
Kildars I am going to be the bigger man and walk away from this crap. I'm not going to fight with you over the internet anymore, so I suggest you find someone else to start "post fights" with. Try not to do it so much you might get carpal tunnel, just looking out for you.

jinelson
10-28-06, 09:25 PM
MarineArtillery has taken the time to go over and above and request input from you Poolees. He is trying to make things better for you. I trust that his thread will be treated with more respect from here out and he will receive more cooperation than he has by some. Is that understood?

Jim

PooleeJon23
10-28-06, 09:45 PM
Aye Aye Sir!

6 replies needing to be deleted. Fellow poolees...there is no need for that. We're supposed to be on the same side. ;)

Brass
10-28-06, 10:43 PM
How many poolees on average do you have from month to month MarineArtillery?

I would think Sacramento would have quite a few.

Christiansen
10-28-06, 11:29 PM
Just found this thread. I'm amazed and grateful that this recruiter took the time to set up a thread for us to comment about the delayed entry program.

To start it back off again, I'd like to say that I'm not sure how other recruiters are or the tactics they use. I can imagine that what works for one recruiter doesn't always work for another. My initial recruiter basically told it how it was. I actually contacted him first when I started to consider ways to improve my "resume" for a future job as a fireman. Anyway, back to the point... my recruiter's sales pitch literally was to go without a sales pitch. He found a way to treat you like his younger brother but still kept his professionalism. (I know, most recruiters do)

I think his ace in the hole was being able to really crack you up or bust your balls no matter what it took while still keeping a productive dialog. After the first meeting he casually and professionally let me walk out the door without needing to follow me out to the parking lot and stuff even more papers in my hands. After that first impression, I was pretty much sold. I needed to come back and join the poolee functions... partially for the entertainment and also because it felt like the right thing for my future. I think it's a sure win to have something in you as a recruiter/Marine that poolees and kids off the street will want to emulate.

He was also good at his occasional group "speeches" about patriotism, core values, and the reasons why you're in his recruiting station and not down the hall with the Army (or Navy and Air Force.) He pretty much knew after the first 5 minutes if you were going to be worth his time... so the second or third poolee session he gives this long speech and humorously tells how the Marine Corps isn't going to give me jack crap(chit)... no 50,000 signing bonuses... how the other branches NEED that because they simply don't have what his Corps has. He said how my next four years could be rough around the edges considerably more than in any other branch and how the Marine Corps doesn't focus on "trades" and "technical skills." He closed his little rant/speech by saying they do offer the title of Marine... and if that isn't good enough: "THERES THE DOOR!" (and actually walked over, opened it and looked at each of us.)

I don't know if you were mostly asking about actual activities that would improve the DEP program...but I guess I'm just saying that with the right people skills, tact, and a few days to build a platform... you could virtually say anything and they'll still come back for more.

After 8 years in and just before being offered gunny and boss of a larger RS, I hear he got out after being offered a job with some big corporate company as a recruiter. I now have a new recruiter thats extremely laid back and does his own thing. Both are good Marines but I believe the first was good at getting kids to commit and was a real class act.

Not sure if that helps... just stating my stating my experience.

jinelson
10-29-06, 01:58 AM
I did a search of the site archieves and found that this question has come up a few times over the years by the Poolees themselves. I think you may find some interesting comments here for your question. Most of the posters were hardcharging Poolees and you will notice that they are now Marines. I have observed that RS or unit cohesion and competition are big favorites. These young patriots truly cant wait to be a part of something bigger then themslves. Eyeball these threads and thank you for going the extra 10% to keep our Corps continuously improving.

Semper Fi

Jim

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19630&highlight=poolee+functions

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17499&highlight=poolee+functions

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13266&highlight=poolee+functions

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8473&highlight=poolee+functions

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1763&highlight=poolee+functions

evilecho2006
10-29-06, 04:20 PM
my RSS was ok. We PT'd every Thursday and had occasional weekend sessions. What I think really needs work are the recruiters. I almost never heard from my recruiter and when I did it was because I had spent the last 3 days trying to contact him. Recruiters definatly need to treet poolees the same before and after they enlist.

Hobson
10-29-06, 04:22 PM
Don't be their friend SSgt. Be their trainer.

Remind them you're not here to be their friend, you're hear to help them get their **** squared away before they ship out and take the true test. Remind them they're becoming Marines.

S/F.

shike8
11-18-06, 11:56 PM
i am searching for a ssgt dan brown circa 1942 i have his canteen cup and would like to return it

poolie13
11-21-06, 01:58 PM
I think that we should have it every 2nd saturday. And the experience should be close to bootcamp as possible. Last Saturday our recruiters took us to the Pit! It was crazy! I'm still hurting, but I think it would better prepare us for our future. Also poolee's need to be doing more hands on stuff and have all day pool functions. I also think it's a good idea that poolees' face other poolees' from other RSS. I could keep going and going!

SnowPaint078
03-24-07, 10:29 PM
I like having a PT at least twice every week, Also I enjoy running with exercises in-between, even if your in good shape it gets your heart pumping.
A mixture of exercises is also good in any PT, and I also enjoy it when we do "team" exercises such as squad push-ups, fireman carries, and of course if you drop during a work out & or take to long to get in the ready position the rest of the recruits get "punished". It keeps you motivated and makes you feel important as an individual. in the end you feel good that you completed as a whole/team.

davecerami275
03-25-07, 12:31 AM
take the poolees to a Marine Corps League meeting

ItzAlex
03-25-07, 12:42 AM
I cant speak for other RSS but for mine we definately have to get a better attendence from poolees. People are just not showing up at the poolee functions And once in a blue moon when there is more than 10 poolees that shows up it feels more motivating. Maybe its just the busy New Yorkers...

HLeyb
03-25-07, 03:07 AM
Care as much about your Poolees as you did when you were trying to recruit them. Many recruiters stop after they get you in.

That's all.

Seems like you're best buds until you sign. Then poof, calls aren't being returned, and it seems like your put on a back burner. It's not a big deal, just frustrating when you have a legitimate question and the only person who can answer it is too busy to take your call.

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-25-07, 03:40 AM
Think about it for a second. They aren't called "Poolee Hand Holders" they are "Recruiters". Their mission is to recruit future Marines. Once you've enlisted their mission does not change. They still need to be out looking for the next person to go enlist. The help they give you is a bonus, and it takes away from them doing their main job. Every minute they spend with you on the phone is one less minute they will have with their family, because they still have to get the recruits. Every time they hold a pool function they are giving up their time to help you. It does little if anything for them.

USMC90
03-25-07, 04:13 AM
That's all.

Seems like you're best buds until you sign. Then poof, calls aren't being returned, and it seems like your put on a back burner. It's not a big deal, just frustrating when you have a legitimate question and the only person who can answer it is too busy to take your call.

That's what this section and Ask a Marine is for. :D

Soon2BeVIP
03-25-07, 08:05 AM
Every minute I'm on the phone with him...that's at least 10 a day....and at least 3 or 4 days a week. I can't help it though, my recruiters the best

CJA
03-26-07, 02:29 PM
Just still keep in touch with your poolee's and don't stop talking to them after they sign.

I haven't talked to my recruiter in months, literally..

Quinbo
03-26-07, 03:21 PM
Recruiting is normally well funded and if available and possible you could enroll DEPS in the local Y for swim lessons and require them to attend at government expense or a discount. There are also NRA shooting matches with willing instructors at your disposal. I was not a recruiter but I do know what a long long row to hoe that is. Outstanding job SSgt!:usmc:

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-26-07, 03:30 PM
I don't know whether I like the idea of having poolees learn to shoot before getting to boot camp if they don't do so already. But, I am an instructor and if a recruiter asked I'd be happy to teach some poolees how to do some of the fundamentals. Of course, the NRA and the Marine Corps don't teach everything the same.

Quinbo
03-26-07, 03:35 PM
You are absolutely right Bravo. There are many Marines however that join after already harvesting their first deer, winning a turkey shoot or shot on an indoor range. Most need to know how the range works and how the weapon works not how to shoot.

Achped
03-26-07, 04:48 PM
Speaking of shooting before boot, my friend is now home on recruiters assistance. He was telling us how he'd always go hunting and shooting and plinking before recruit training and when he finally went to recruit training he did a pretty nice job at the Island shooting a 238 and he would have shot the best in his series....but his rackmate shot 241...

His rackmate had never held a rifle before.

If I recall correctly, someone else on this forum had almost the exact same situation.

jtestani41
03-26-07, 06:34 PM
we run our a** off and sometimes play some motivated paintball

Drew330
08-04-07, 09:53 PM
SSGT maybe you can answer my questions for me. Thanks in advance. <br />
<br />
<br />
I'm considering rejoining the Marine Corps. I hope someone could clear up some questions for me. My stats: MOS 0311 1993 to...

Haffner
08-05-07, 12:42 AM
Oorah, SSgt.

I know everything I'm about to say probably has been covered, but, hell, I'm going to say it anyways.

1) Recruiters need to be more truthful. I first spoke to a Marine recruiter Junior year of highschool. He was a lying son of a *****. Totally turned me off from the Corps. Made me think all Jarhead's were retarded and dumb and etc etc. It wasn't until 2 years later that I decided, "Hey, let's give it another shot." Almost Joined the ARMY due to an ******* recruiter!

2) PT them 3 times or MORE a week for at least an hour and a half. They're poolees. Yes, it means late hours for you -- but they need it.

3) Don't give away every detail about bootcamp, as some recruiters do. If it were meant to be 100% explained, it'd be an MCI and bootcamp would be phased out.

4) Don't embellish your experiences in the Corps. Don't point to a NUC and tell a Poolee it's a CAR that you earned in OIF. You never know; that could be a military brat you're speaking to.

5) Do NOT be the poolee's friend. Treat them with respect, but do NOT be their friend. Be a mentor.

6) Just think about all of the things that you were deficient at when you stepped on those yellow foot prints, SSgt. Also, think of the things you were very proficient at. Analyze them and create a training plan for those poolees based off of that. You will lead how you've been lead before, this is common knowledge, such comes the stigma that you take from bootcamp a little bit of each and every D.I. that you had close contact with and that they figure into your leadership style.

I could be totally ass backwards on this, SSgt, however, with my experience of the DEP, what I have just said makes me feel that it could've provided a better DEP experience to me and those that were poolees with me.

Semper Fi, SSgt.

Always do your best to make mission, but don't settle for quantity over quality! OORAH!

jells08
08-05-07, 02:51 AM

Yea my recruiter acted like my best friends untill i was DEP'ed in then it was like ok your in who's next.