PDA

View Full Version : Marines Return To Happy Faces At Buckley AFB

thedrifter
10-22-06, 09:11 AM
Oct 21, 2006 10:44 am US/Mountain
Marines Return To Happy Faces At Buckley AFB

Ericka Lewis
Reporting

(CBS4) BUCKLEY AIR FORCE BASE, Colo. More than 100 Marines returned home from their duty in Iraq to happy family and friends at Buckley Air Force Base Friday afternoon.

Families and friends of soldiers in the Battery A, 1st Battalion, 14th Marines, nervously tried to pass the time with flowers and hand-made signs before their loved ones arrived.

“He’s the love of my life; I’ve known him since high school,” said a woman waiting for her husband’s arrival.

Anita Gregg was looking forward to seeing her oldest son.

“I miss him and I’m proud of him” Gregg said. “I’ll just give him a big hug, our eyes will connect; He was my first born.“

The unit has been in Iraq since March. Their job was running detention facilities and Military Police training for Iraqis.

Sarah Coffield’s husband had seen the worst of the war.

“Some of the tents got blown up and he was getting shot at,” Coffield said.

Finally, at 3:43 p.m., the moment arrived that everyone was waiting for … all 102 soldiers arrived.

Faces can change a lot in seven months and so can people. Corporal Coffield said none of that matters once your home.

“My daughter started walking and we celebrated our anniversary while I was overseas,” Corporal Coffield said. “I missed a lot of events I plan on making up.”

The reserve unit served in four different areas in the Anbar Province of Iraq. For most, this is their second tour and they will have 30 days leave before being deactivated.

Ellie