PDA

View Full Version : What would your strategy be to win in Iraq?

10thzodiac
10-21-06, 10:40 AM
Here is a strategy put forth September/October 2005 (http://www.foreignaffairs.org/2005/5.html)
By ANDREW F. KREPINEVICH, JR., Executive Director of the Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments and Distinguished Visiting Professor of Public Policy at George Mason University. He is the author of The Army and Vietnam.

U.S. and Iraqi forces should adopt an "oil-spot strategy" in Iraq, which is essentially the opposite approach. Rather than focusing on killing insurgents, they should concentrate on providing security and opportunity to the Iraqi people, thereby denying insurgents the popular support they need. Since the U.S. and Iraqi armies cannot guarantee security to all of Iraq simultaneously, they should start by focusing on certain key areas and then, over time, broadening the effort -- hence the image of an expanding oil spot. Such a strategy would have a good chance of success. But it would require a protracted commitment of U.S. resources, a willingness to risk more casualties in the short term, and an enduring U.S. presence in Iraq, albeit at far lower force levels than are engaged at present. If U.S. policymakers and the American public are unwilling to make such a commitment, they should be prepared to scale down their goals in Iraq significantly.

bootlace15
10-21-06, 11:07 AM
This is war. Give the good citizens of Bagdad 48 hrs to clear out. Use 4 roads so you know where they are when they leave. Then give them a shock and Aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh like they have never seen before,rip the damn place up,show them and the world me mean business.

We have asked the world for help,and as Our President has said, You are either with us or with out us. They have spoken..... Now we need to speak and end it........... We have built other countries up after they were destroyed,so it looks like we might need to do the same thing. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

As one of our first HEROS said LETS ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!

NO MORE FAVORS FOR ANYONE

Bootlace15 Out

greensideout
10-21-06, 05:41 PM
Here is a strategy put forth September/October 2005 (http://www.foreignaffairs.org/2005/5.html)
By ANDREW F. KREPINEVICH, JR., Executive Director of the Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments and Distinguished Visiting Professor of Public Policy at George Mason University. He is the author of The Army and Vietnam.

Rather than focusing on killing insurgents, they should concentrate on providing security and opportunity to the Iraqi people, thereby denying insurgents the popular support they need.

And this guy went to our top military schools and Harvard? Little wonder that the military strategy is so jacked up by current leadership.

greensideout
10-21-06, 05:57 PM
cont.

#1. Yes, WE ARE there to kill insurgents.

#2. Let the Iraqis provide THEIR OWN security. We are there for the American people, not the Iraqis.

#3. The opportunity to the Iraqi that we provide should be to work in the oil fields that we secure.

#4. "thereby denying insurgents the popular support". Is he still lost in Vietnam?

FistFu68
10-21-06, 06:01 PM
:evilgrin: For starter's, I would kill AL SADAR all his Militia Member's as of Yesterday!!! Put Killer Team's on border with IRAN, utilize Stingray Mission's; ASAP! :evilgrin:

sgt tony
10-21-06, 06:35 PM
The big problem that I see is that evryone has a gun so you never know if they are the good guys or the bad. I would first say turn in your guns and then thoes that have them after 24 hours they shot on the spot and if you see someone then you know who to shoot or at least you have the chance.

10thzodiac
10-23-06, 10:50 AM
The "oil-spot" plan might could have had some meagerchance: a chance that Iraq of, say, 2015 or 2020 might come to resemble Lebanon of 2006. But, by now, that "road" is thoroughly mined and the bridges are out. It is high time to leave, with lessons learned. With loss of pride ? Absolutely. But pride ever comes before a fall. And, de facto, Baghdad has fallen. It is time to come home, unless a new wall bearing the names of those who fell in war for no reason is wanted. Better that those named Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, and Rove, along with all their minions, be duly overridden by the will of the people, condemned for the wrongs they have visited upon the United States of America, and sent into history's dustbin. Now is the time.

SF

10th

Camper51
10-23-06, 11:32 AM
The big problem that I see is that evryone has a gun so you never know if they are the good guys or the bad. I would first say turn in your guns and then thoes that have them after 24 hours they shot on the spot and if you see someone then you know who to shoot or at least you have the chance.

and would you be so willing to turn in YOUR guns here and now for the "safety" of our country???

stupid answer when we have our own freedom to won guns...

Marine84
10-23-06, 12:16 PM
I say pull all of our guys out - then blow the place slap off the map. Problem solved.

J-Ro
10-23-06, 12:55 PM
I say pull all of our guys out - then blow the place slap off the map. Problem solved.

Problem solved!!!
:cool:

Echo5November
10-23-06, 06:29 PM
Pull out and let them all kill each other. Let allah sort them out. Then claim their land and oil and rename the place "29 1/2 Palms"

degunny
10-23-06, 06:44 PM
As a Parent watches a young child learn to walk, falling on their butts repeatedly, and then being there when they really need you. It is time for us to back off and let them "learn by doing". Only so much can be taught in a classroom or bootcamp; the real education starts when the SH*t hits the fan. Let it hit and let them learn.

When they as a people ask for our help, be there to give it, but make them learn to walk.

Marine84
10-23-06, 06:48 PM
that's funny as hell Echo

Sgt Sostand
10-23-06, 07:58 PM
Pull every one out and get rid of the roaches Bomb the hell out of it. if you have roaches in your house you use raid no difference here