PDA

View Full Version : Spectators turn out to watch Marines train

thedrifter
10-21-06, 08:15 AM
Spectators turn out to watch Marines train
BY JAMES GILBERT, SUN STAFF WRITER
Oct 21, 2006

Yuman Richard Benson hasn't missed a Weapons and Tactics Instructor (WTI) training exercise in five years, so he wasn't about to miss the one taking place on Friday evening.

"We get to see our guys in action," Benson said, watching from the van where he and his wife, Wynona, were sitting as the first of what would be many waves of helicopters flew overhead. "I'm retired Navy from the submarine service, so I really enjoy this."

Wynona Benson added that they had two grandchildren currently serving in the military.

Getting to see Marine helicopters up close was what brought Rene Monguia and his family to watch the training exercise being held at Centennial Middle School.

"I like being this close and seeing them land," he said as he stood among a small group of other people who came out to observe the action. "I just like the helicopters."

As if on cue, a CH-46 Sea Knight and CH-53 Super Stallion flew a couple hundred feet overhead and landed on the school yard a short distance away.

Rene's youngest son, 10-year-old Eder, was more interested in what the Marines did after they got off the helicopters.

"I like seeing the (Marines) running around and doing things," he said as a group of fully equipped and armed Marines took up positions nearby where he stood with his family.

Friday's exercise was a simulated rescue and recovery mission designed to give the Marines realistic training in how to rescue and evacuate U.S. citizens who are living or stationed in foreign countries in the event of an emergency or other crisis.

"The exercise is intended to keep the Marines sharp, prepared and ready," said Maj. Robert St. Peter. "There may come a time when Marines may have to do this in a real-world situation."

The training was part of the latest round of WTI training, taught by the Marine Aviation Weapons and Tactics Squadron 1 (MAWTS-1), which is stationed at Marine Corps Air Station Yuma.

In all, about 120 Marines as well as some soldiers and sailors took part in the exercise.

The first waves of helicopters landed just long enough to drop off squads of Marines, who rushed out the back of the aircraft and established a security perimeter around the school grounds.

Cobra and Huey helicopters flew overhead throughout the training mission, providing air support and reconnaissance during the four-hour-long exercise.

Once the area was deemed secure, helicopters were to land again and conduct a timed, simulated evacuation of personnel.

"As long as we can keep the civilians safe, we enjoy having them come out and see what we are doing," St. Peter said.

Sara Sandoval and her family were driving by the middle school in their golf cart when they noticed the helicopters landing and wanted to see what was happening.

"The kids are pretty excited," she said. "You can't really tell how big the helicopters are in the sky. It's really cool to see how big they are once they land."

James Gilbert can be reached at jgilbert@yumasun.com or 539-6854.

Ellie