PDA

View Full Version : Why do YOU want to join the Marine Corps?

Marine84
10-20-06, 09:28 PM
OK.............here's one for the poolees since we have some newbies in here. For the ones that might have answered this question before, please feel free to answer again if you like.

WHY DO YOU WANT TO JOIN THE MARINE CORPS?

(for any females that may answer this - you better not tell me because you're looking for a few good men yourself - that's MY answer ;) )

Come on ya'll - show us your motivation - SOUND OFF!

PooleeJon23
10-20-06, 09:45 PM
I dunno if it's a great answer but at school yesterday. Some kid was bagging on me cuz he found out I wanted to do Supply and Accounting and he was like "You want to be a Marine and your gonna take the wimpiest(edited) job" and I had gotten to the point where I am not a fan of this kid whatsoever and I turned to him and was like "I want to be in Accounting...So why not be the most bad @$$ accountant out there. An Accountant for the United States Marine Corp" and then walked off. It made me chuckle, but in a way..it is true.

Achped
10-20-06, 10:14 PM
It's simple.

I'd always wanted to join the military. Always. The Army offered me a 4 year ROTC scholarship, and skills training for a future civilian career. The Navy? A chance to see the world and a $45,000 enlistment bonus. The Air Force offered an easy civilian-like 9-5 job and a great education.

The Marines? Nothing. No enlistment bonus, no promises of it being easy, not a thing. Rather, they promised me standards that haven't been lowered. Instead of selling their branch to me, as if the second I joined I would be in the Marine Corps, they said "Maybe you can be one of us. Maybe you've got what it takes." My Marine recruiters talked about discipline, dedication, belonging, commitment, honor, courage, loyalty, stuff every other branch didn't care for. But what really hit home was how everything in the Marine Corps is earned based on ability and dedication. They don't care who you are, where you're from, or what you're like. You don't get anything in the Marines unless you earn it. I know I need that in my life. I need to learn how to value things.

When my mom asked my recruiter what will I "get" out of my time as a Marine, my recruiter just looked at her like "What do you mean, ma'am?"
My mom then say "Like, what will he 'have'?"
Then SSgt Stokes just said "Well, he'll have the title of a United States Marine!"

Brass
10-20-06, 10:21 PM
To be the best.

PooleeWill
10-20-06, 10:24 PM
The millitary had crossed my mind since the begining of highschool becuase I wasn't sure where I was going to be after highschool and so one day during senior year I happened to get a call from a Marine recruiter don't know how he got my # and so I said yeah sure lets meet and thats where I decided that the Marines seemed like the perfect branch :thumbup: . I had talked to an Army recruiter before but I wasn't really interested at all . Although I wasn't sure if I could do it because I had been in bad shape for about 2 years.

CantWaitToSign
10-20-06, 10:33 PM
My dad is a former Force Recon member of the United States Marine Corps!! So not only was he the best he was the best of the best! So ever since I was a kid I wanted to be that exact same thing. There were times when I was like hmm maybe I'll go to college...then I was like nahhhh Marines all the way!! I plan on signing up by the end of the month! Can't Wait!!

Accord
10-20-06, 11:05 PM
If you're going to be joining the military, then why not join the best? It's really that simple. Some people are satisfied with doing the minimum to get by, and others go past their maximum no matter what. It's easy to say you're joining the army or the navy, but not just anyone can become a Marine.

When I was at MEPS, the army recruiters were saying things like "Congratulations Soldier!" after the army recruits took the oath and I was just like "WTF?"

EARNED, NEVER GIVEN.

If the title of United States Marine was given away like the title of "soldier" is, then it wouldn't mean anything. You have to earn it and you are pushed beyond your breaking point to get that title.

If i'm going to join the military, then i'm going to do it RIGHT. I can't even begin to count how many people joined the army and regretted it only to immediately join the Marines immediately after they EAS's from the army. We have an ARMY CAPTAIN who gave up his commission to become an enlisted Private First Class Marine at my recruiting station - he ships to bootcamp on Monday. That says it all right there.

You join the army to do a job and get money for college. You join the navy to see the world. You join the air force to learn a technical skill for the civilian world. You join the Marine Corps to be a MARINE.

To put it simply, I did not work my ass off and lose 80 pounds just to take the easy road and join another branch.

Accord
10-20-06, 11:07 PM
Found this on another website...

Is it the benefits and bonuses that motivate people to join the Marines over other services? No. The truth is that the armed forces all offer similar basic benefits and bonuses. For most who choose the Marines, it’s the Marine’s core values of honor, courage, and commitment, along with a sense of tradition and the Corps mission that attracts them.

The Corps - “Core Values”

Since 1775, the Corps has strived to produce not only the best warriors, but also the best people. They live by a code, which forms the foundation of good character. Above all else Marines value Honor, Courage, and Commitment.

Honor - Marines are held to the highest standard of honesty, honor, and respect for others. Each Marine is expected be mature and dependable and every Marine is accountable for his or her own actions.

Courage - Courage is not the absence of fear. It is the ability to face fear and overcome it. It is the mental, moral, and physical strength ingrained in all Marines. It steadies them in times of stress, carries them through every challenge and aids them in facing new and unknown confrontations.

Commitment - Commitment is the spirit of determination and dedication found in Marines. It is what impels Marines to serve our country and the Corps. Every aspect of life in the Corps shows commitment, from the high standard of excellence to the vigilance the Marines show for training.

A Sense of Tradition

From their motto to their uniform, a sense of tradition runs deep in all Marines. Semper Fidelis, adopted in 1883, is the Marine Corp motto. In Latin it means "Always Faithful." But it is more than just a motto for Marines; it is a way of life. It is a commitment that each Marine has to our country, to the Corps, and to each other. This is why there are no ex-Marines, only former Marines.

The three elements on the official Marine Corps insignia - The Eagle, Globe and Anchor - are rich with history and meaning. The eagle with spread wings represents a proud country, the globe represents worldwide service, and the fouled anchor stands for maritime tradition. This insignia has been proudly worn on the Marine Corps uniform since 1868.

The Corps Mission

The Marine Corps has two missions – to make Marines and to win battles. Comprised of smart, adaptable men and women, the Corps serves as the aggressive tip of the American military spear. Often thought of as "First to Fight", the Marines are a smaller, more dynamic force than any other in the American arsenal. The Corps is also the only U.S. force designed to be expeditionary in nature and able to operate in a state of "forward deployment". This means Marines are stationed around the world, ready to act whenever the need arises. The Marine Corps accomplishes great things for our nation and its people, and they do it together.

hawks
10-20-06, 11:24 PM
Why do poolees not capitalize the Army or the Navy or the Air Force? Its bull****, they have all went through their training to earn their titles and are apart of the Military too. Don't rag on other branches of the Military if your note even in it yet.

Accord
10-20-06, 11:38 PM
Why do poolees not capitalize the Army or the Navy or the Air Force? Its bull****, they have all went through their training to earn their titles and are apart of the Military too. Don't rag on other branches of the Military if your note even in it yet.
No one is ragging on any of the other branches. You read any article from any respectable publication which mentions all the branches, and you will clearly see that "soldier," "airman," and "sailor" are not capitalized, however Marine is. That's just the way it is.

Infact, i'll show you an example:

The latest attacks on U.S. troops began Tuesday morning when four soldiers died in a roadside bomb attack west of Baghdad. Two hours later, a soldier was killed when his convoy was attacked in northern Baghdad. Another soldier died Tuesday afternoon in a roadside bomb attack north of the capital.

Three U.S. soldiers were killed Tuesday during combat in the northeastern province of Diyala, which is nearly evenly split between Sunnis and Shiites, and has a high level of violence.

In the Sunni province of Anbar, a Marine was killed during fighting. A soldier died Wednesday afternoon in southern Baghdad during small-arms fighting. http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1161228342252080.xml&coll=7

That's just how it is, Marine is capitalized, soldier isn't.

Brass
10-21-06, 12:23 AM
Most people don't see 'Soldier' as a specific Army (the branch) term. More of a general term for anyone with a gun and a uniform. When referring to Army Soldiers, it should be capitalized.

You may have choosen the Marine Corps, but the US military is still that, and they all deserve respect (General statement) in my opinion.

CantWaitToSign
10-21-06, 10:10 AM
I disagree, at the recruiting station i go to it has all the branches in seperate rooms I look into the Air Force and they are just wearing normal clothes. I look In the Navy and its some chubby guy. Then I look in the Army and its An old chubby guy wearing normal clothes. Then after walking the farthest to get to the Marine room I see them all in their Charlie uniforms with their shoes shined and their pants creased it makes them look so much more respectful! All the other branches are unsat.! (unsatisfactory) Also I believe we dont need any other branch then the Marines. They take care of everything Land, Air, and Sea! Army is just there for back up which they hardly do. Air Force is there to..im not sure what the Air Force is there for yet and the Navy is there to Provide a lil more Sea coverage.

PooleeJon23
10-21-06, 10:20 AM
Alright that's just your RSS then. Because at my RSS I think the Navy is the one that always is in their uniform. Whenever I go past the Army I've always seen them too. I never see the Air Force...wow I didn't even think about it, but I really never cross paths with them. Most of the time I see my recruiters there in dress, but there is certain days they don't have too. Either your highly exaggerating(not gonna lie I googled the spelling of that) or you have an odd RSS

DaveXIII90
10-21-06, 11:52 AM
Why do I want to join the US Marine Corps? Oh Lord, please forgive me if this post turns into a 54 chapter book... Anyway:
First of all, I have always wanted to be in the military. Early last year, on a cold fall day at 5th period study hall in school, when I had all my work complted, I decided to go to WWW.MARINES.COM (http://www.MARINES.COM). From there, I realized how serious the USMC was. That got me very interested, and somewhere alone those lines, I began asking questions on this forum. In a few weeks, I realized how different, how much more mature and professional the USMC is compared to the everyday pricks who run around my school smoking pot and getting drunk every friday night. That got me going big time- I started acting very mature and serious infront of my peers, and started to crack down on school work. To this day, everyone has acted differently (in a Positive way) to me because of how serious ive become. This is because of the Marine Corps, and how I am preparing myself to take the challenge. SO, why do I want to do it? Because I want to know that I am there if my country needs me...Because I want to get that training that no other service gets... I want to help people with the most elite skills whenever the may need help...I dont know, I guess I was just born to be a Marine.

Accord
10-21-06, 12:44 PM
I disagree, at the recruiting station i go to it has all the branches in seperate rooms I look into the Air Force and they are just wearing normal clothes. I look In the Navy and its some chubby guy. Then I look in the Army and its An old chubby guy wearing normal clothes. Then after walking the farthest to get to the Marine room I see them all in their Charlie uniforms with their shoes shined and their pants creased it makes them look so much more respectful! All the other branches are unsat.! (unsatisfactory) Also I believe we dont need any other branch then the Marines. They take care of everything Land, Air, and Sea! Army is just there for back up which they hardly do. Air Force is there to..im not sure what the Air Force is there for yet and the Navy is there to Provide a lil more Sea coverage.
It's the exact same way at my RS... all the other branches just wear polo shirts or t-shirts or something and the Marine recruiters are the only ones in full uniform. When I had to take the practice ASVAB the computer at the Marines office was down so my recruiter and I went next door to the Air Force office to take the practice ASVAB on their computer and I walk in and I say to the AF recruiter "hello sir, it's nice to meet you" and the AF recruiter goes "oh cut that out, we're the Air Force, we're not hardcore like those Marines next door" and I just laughed, haha. The only time my Marine recruiters aren't in uniform is at poolee meetings, and that's only because they're in PT gear.

But don't bash the Air Force though, I have a lot of respect for them. If they didn't bomb the hell out of Iraq before the invasion began, it would have been impossible for the ground forces to go in there without taking huge casualties.

hawks
10-21-06, 01:10 PM
All the other branches are unsat.! (unsatisfactory) Also I believe we dont need any other branch then the Marines. They take care of everything Land, Air, and Sea! Army is just there for back up which they hardly do. Air Force is there to..im not sure what the Air Force is there for yet and the Navy is there to Provide a lil more Sea coverage.
Please, do not be that ignorant. That is just a stupid comment. And I dare you to say that any other branch is unsat, I dont think a Ranger, SEAL, Delta would take any of that from you.

jinelson
10-21-06, 02:33 PM
Alright lets keep this thread on topic! All branches serve and bleed just like we do.

Achped
10-21-06, 08:37 PM
It's the exact same way at my RS... all the other branches just wear polo shirts or t-shirts or something and the Marine recruiters are the only ones in full uniform. When I had to take the practice ASVAB the computer at the Marines office was down so my recruiter and I went next door to the Air Force office to take the practice ASVAB on their computer and I walk in and I say to the AF recruiter "hello sir, it's nice to meet you" and the AF recruiter goes "oh cut that out, we're the Air Force, we're not hardcore like those Marines next door" and I just laughed, haha. The only time my Marine recruiters aren't in uniform is at poolee meetings, and that's only because they're in PT gear.

But don't bash the Air Force though, I have a lot of respect for them. If they didn't bomb the hell out of Iraq before the invasion began, it would have been impossible for the ground forces to go in there without taking huge casualties.

Same thing here. Polo shirts for the AF

Smalcom
10-21-06, 09:11 PM
[/URL][URL="http://photobucket.com/"]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c121/Smalcom/h_twin_towers_02.jpg (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:void%280%29;)

Kildars
10-22-06, 03:28 AM

While I semi-agree with you, this is a Marine Corps board. There is rivalry between all the branches. I have read army boards where they rag on the Marine Corps -- it's their boards they can do what they want. This is the Marine Corps board.

It's not meant to disrespect the service as you mentioned more to just recognize the Marine Corps as a better, no as THE BEST service.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c121/Smalcom/h_twin_towers_02.jpg

I have wanted to be a Marine since before the attacks due to family -- my grandpa retiring as an e-9. The 9/11 attacks just confirmed it, and once they can fix my hearing you better believe I will be going to MEPS again and say, "Swear me in!! Let me ship! I have got a lot of work to do and not a lot of time do it!"

WalkingMan
10-22-06, 05:05 AM
I dunno if it's a great answer but at school yesterday. Some kid was bagging on me cuz he found out I wanted to do Supply and Accounting and he was like "You want to be a Marine and your gonna take the wimpiest(edited) job" and I had gotten to the point where I am not a fan of this kid whatsoever and I turned to him and was like "I want to be in Accounting...So why not be the most bad @$$ accountant out there. An Accountant for the United States Marine Corp" and then walked off. It made me chuckle, but in a way..it is true.

All Marines have as their first MOS, 0311... rifleman... so being in supply and accounting is not a wimpy task. Besides, without supply and accounting, Marines become very hungry, low on ammunition, and their families stop receiving their checks, all of which is bad for morale.

My MOS is 2533, radio operator, with CW... means I had to learn Morse Code. I thought this was a wimpy MOS, too, until I got off the plane in Viet Nam, and discovered that I was assigned to an artillery battery out in the bush, on some hilltop.

Then, when I got off the helicopter on LZ Rockpile, (if I remember correctly), I discovered that I being assigned to the point forward observer team for Bravo Company, 1st Battalion, 3rd Marines, walking point with a PRC-25 radio, looking for bad guys.

There is no telling where a Marine Accountant might wind up serving, or what sort of 'accounts' s(he) might wind up settling.

WalkingMan
10-22-06, 05:52 AM
If you're going to be joining the military, then why not join the best? It's really that simple. Some people are satisfied with doing the minimum to get by, and others go past their maximum no matter what. It's easy to say you're joining the army or the navy, but not just anyone can become a Marine.

When I was at MEPS, the army recruiters were saying things like "Congratulations Soldier!" after the army recruits took the oath and I was just like "WTF?"

EARNED, NEVER GIVEN.

If the title of United States Marine was given away like the title of "soldier" is, then it wouldn't mean anything. You have to earn it and you are pushed beyond your breaking point to get that title.

If i'm going to join the military, then i'm going to do it RIGHT. I can't even begin to count how many people joined the army and regretted it only to immediately join the Marines immediately after they EAS's from the army. We have an ARMY CAPTAIN who gave up his commission to become an enlisted Private First Class Marine at my recruiting station - he ships to bootcamp on Monday. That says it all right there.

You join the army to do a job and get money for college. You join the navy to see the world. You join the air force to learn a technical skill for the civilian world. You join the Marine Corps to be a MARINE.

To put it simply, I did not work my ass off and lose 80 pounds just to take the easy road and join another branch.

Heh!

I'm sitting here reading this at age 58, as a stroke survivour... in my sweats.

The time is 5:47 AM, and I have had breakfast and coffee, and in a few minutes I will jump into my combat boots and hit the road for a 5 mile route step, followed by 40 minutes of calesthenics, and 20 minutes working out on the heavy bag.

Then a quick shower, and I will start my day, just like I start all my days, sharp, alert, ready to go.

Semper Fi!

Marine84
10-22-06, 10:08 AM
OOHRAH WalkingMan! See kids, once it's IN you, it's IN you for life - nobody can take it away from you and it will always be your motivation. The rest of the branches DO deserve respect but they don't carry it with them for life. I know an AF guy that pulled 17 years - he sees how involved I am with the Corps still and he's made several comments about the "click" we seem to have and a lot of us have been out 20 plus years. He's a truck driver now and he says you see Marine Corps stuff everywhere going down the road - bumper stickers, the "Earned Never Given" trailors that you see on big trucks, Tshirts, billboards - always advertising the Corps. He thinks it's pretty cool - I just smile at him :)

And besides...............we look pretty dam good in them BLUES! :marine: :banana:

WalkingMan
10-22-06, 12:05 PM
OOHRAH WalkingMan! See kids, once it's IN you, it's IN you for life - nobody can take it away from you and it will always be your motivation. The rest of the branches DO deserve respect but they don't carry it with them for life. I know an AF guy that pulled 17 years - he sees how involved I am with the Corps still and he's made several comments about the "click" we seem to have and a lot of us have been out 20 plus years. He's a truck driver now and he says you see Marine Corps stuff everywhere going down the road - bumper stickers, the "Earned Never Given" trailors that you see on big trucks, Tshirts, billboards - always advertising the Corps. He thinks it's pretty cool - I just smile at him :)

And besides...............we look pretty dam good in them BLUES! :marine: :banana:

What really impresses me now, is the WISDOM of the Marine Corps way... the PT, staying squared away with everything one does, trimming off the Irish Pennants, and the excess fat... and just generally staying on top of things.

I make up my rack as soon as my feet hit the floor in the morning, weekend or workday. There is great WISDOM in staying ahead of the chores, and of exercising and eating right, which saves a huge amount of money, on medical bills.

The VA took care of me when I had the stroke, but that stroke was the only time in my adult life when I was ever sicker than a mild case of the flu, or a cold. I have free medial with the VA for life, but my Marine Corps training is saving the VA a lot of money.

I always warm up before and after exercise, and double-tie my laces so they don't trip me up, and wear a cover out of doors, to protect from sun, rain, and cold... it is amazing, all the value that resides in these small, usually-not-noticed details, that are trained into Marines... hundreds of years of WISDOM, woven into Boot Camp, and Basic Training.

Just for fun, here is a link to a sculpture I built, in honour of the USMC... titled EGA, it is a sort of modernist rendition of the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor.

Don't laugh!

http://www.robertwittig.com/2006/full2006_021.html