PDA

View Full Version : Hello from New Zealand

Ph4T4l1Ty
10-19-06, 09:00 PM
Found this site today while trolling the net. I have served alongside US Marines in 2 conflicts and was O/A from the NZ Army and spent some time at Pendleton(?) in 89/90. Just wanted to say how Proud i am to have spent some time with America's finest and that when i was a younger lad that i had a chance to learn from you guys. Semper Fidelis!!!! Brothers in Arms!

thedrifter
10-19-06, 09:02 PM
Welcome!

Ellie

jinelson
10-19-06, 11:10 PM
Welcome Aboard

Osotogary
10-20-06, 07:46 AM
Ph4T4l1Ty,
Welcome.
I have served alongside US Marines in 2 conflicts and was O/A from the NZ Army and spent some time at Pendleton(?) in 89/90. Just wanted to say how Proud i am to have spent some time with America's finest and that when i was a younger lad that i had a chance to learn from you guys.

The link below deals with the New Zealand Coast Watchers during WWII, with a reference to the United States Marines.

http://www.mansell.com/pow_resources/camplists/osaka/Zentsuji/coastwatchers.htm
Kevin Menzies, son of Michael Menzies, Pvt., NZEF, stated in letter of 9 June 2000:
"My father was captured [as a Soldier/Coast Watcher in the Gilbert Islands] on the islet of Bikati, the northern tip of the Makin Atoll, on 10 Dec 1941 and [later] began his incarceration in the University of Life at Zentsuji. He and his comrades, including his brother Jack M. Menzies, were among the first Allied prisoners in Japan, arriving in Yokohama on 7 Jan 1942. The American Marine from Tsingtao [Griffiths] joined them on 10 Jan 1942. When he would talk about [his experiences], (not often) he would tell of how he was in Zentsuji when in the middle of the night he was [wakened] by the Marines from Guam entering the camp. From then on, Dad built up strong bonds with these men which never left him. He told me, not long before his death, that often at night he lay awake and pictured all of their faces."

Adios from South Florida
Gary

FistFu68
10-20-06, 08:41 AM
:evilgrin: Welcome aboard,you live in a very beautiful country;and the Southern Cross.Is a sight to behold!Been there,done that!GOD~SPEED!!!:flag: