PDA

View Full Version : Today I remembered why I love my job: a morning with the Kentwood USMC JROTC

quillhill
10-19-06, 06:37 PM
I decided to do a schools page story for the Nov. 1 issue of the Covington-Maple Valley Reporter about the Marine Corps Junior ROTC program at Kentwood High. LCpl. Seeley participated in this program while he was a high school student, in fact, he is the reason I learned about it at all.

So, today, I spent three hours talking with cadets, starting with observing a staff inspection by the cadet company commanding officer. I took a bunch of pictures and promise to share some of them somehow. The most squared away cadet was a senior female named Colby. She plans to be an officer after college (via an NROTC scholarship) and eventually a police officer.

After inspection was complete, the cadets discussed upcoming events such as drill meet and the Marine Corps ball. Then I interviewed a handful of the students about their experience in JROTC and other related topics. I have spoken with a lot of confident, articulate young people during my 6 1/2 years as a journalist, but I tell you, these were the creme de la creme.

Once the article has published, I will post it if the members here are interested. Let me know. Oh, and I will post a few pics that I took right before and during the inspection, if y'all would like to see.