PDA

View Full Version : sharpies smell good.

Bass
10-18-06, 03:44 PM
Now that I have your attention, hahaha.

I just wanted advice on something:

I have locked a pretty decent job. I have data systems as an MOS. The main reason I picked that job is because I can either take a big re-enlistment bonus, or get a good job when I get out and make a lot of money. But to be honest, I want a more high-speed job and I dont want to take a job just because of the money. Not many people get the opportunity that I have been given and I want to make the best of it. I'm in great shape and I did awesome on the asvab, so I can get almost any MOS I want. I have thought about Intelligence, which I heard was kinda boring...but I think I may need to find out for myself, and I am also considering Infrantry, and getting a degree after four years, or maybe switching my MOS after four years Infantry to something else. A lot of possibilites...any suggestions on good jobs or comments on Intelligence or Infantry??

I know what you will say: "we can't tell you what to pick, thats for you to decide" I understand that, but I just wanted an outside opinion on a good MOS, or any other suggestions.

thanks!

:flag:

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-18-06, 04:57 PM
I think you need to think some more about what is important. Picking an MOS because you think you'll have a good bonus when it is time to reenlist is just about the dumbest way to pick an MOS. That bonus could easily be a closed to reenlistment MOS in four years time, you have no way of knowing.

As for getting a good job, there are plenty of jobs that offer that. But, that shouldn't matter either. Just pick an MOS that interests you and go with that.

jm4magic
10-18-06, 05:26 PM
we can't tell you what to pick, thats for you to decide

PooleeJon23
10-18-06, 06:32 PM
I'm kind of in the same boat your in. 88 on the Asvab so I have a lot to choose from. Take a look at it all though, my recruiter is always talking about how he hates when people have the option of doing a mos hard to get into and they don't even consider it

Marine84
10-18-06, 06:59 PM
And, of course, every Marine that comes in here will tell you the MOS they had is the best. Be DECISIVE - make your pick. It's all pretty much what YOU make of it anyway.

ahmarquis
11-06-06, 09:43 PM
Know this...being in a high speed MOS does not mean a BIG bonus. I am a 2862...you are scratching your head no doubt. To make it simple I am a Communications Tech. I was originally a 2811...a telephone/fiber optics tech. Then after a MOS merger I was a 2847...a telephone/fiber optics/ computer tech. I originally signed up to be a 28XX becasue I wanted to work with computers, because that is what interested me. I fixed computers for a short period. Now I run a Maintenance Shop....what I am try to tell you is pick something that intrest you. Not for the money...if you are looking to make money you are signing up for the wrong thing. As far as changing MOS's after 4 years...there is nothing saying that you will move and like it. Make a decision....stick with it....make the most of it.

WanderWannabe
11-06-06, 10:31 PM
What if you can't even begin to decide on an MOS? I've spent 4 weeks doing nothing but working out and trying to figure out what I want to do once I am in the Corp. I have the scores to try anything. Everything interests me, besides cooking, really.

sgt tony
11-06-06, 11:09 PM
well take from and old salt(ha ha) i went in the Marines as a 03xx i got 0311 (grunt) i was crossed trained to be a 2111 armory well i reinlested as a 1173 (hygine equipment repair specalist) they don't even have it now. What I am saying if you want to be in the outdoors look at the fields that are in the outside a lot if you would rather sit behind a desk then look there. All I am saying is first you have to decide do you want to repair/kill/office pog. Then when you get that picked then you can look into a MOS.

yellowwing
11-07-06, 06:16 AM
Very funny, Kid Sharpie! :banana:

No matter what MOS, REMEMBER Every Marine a Rifleman.

I was a 4063 Mainframe Programmer and our SNCOs and OICs came from many different backgrounds.

When a hard azz combat Gunny joined our shop, he gladly took over supervising our PT program. Suddenly our Friday afternoon volleyball was replaced with some tough relay stations. :evilgrin:

But it worked, our overall PT scores were raised.

And Gunny didn't appreciate a wise-ass. :devious:

Old Marine
11-07-06, 03:02 PM
Computers seem to be the big thing these days and most everywhere you go they have them. Anything computer related seems to be a pretty good choice.